• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Log Horizon Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see this got a good review and the dub got a good review as well. Now I REALLy want to see this. Sometimes I feel as though Sentai get's unfairly criticized for being more liberal with their dubs, and when other companies do it, it gets ignored. I don't mind a little bit of a liberal dub like this. Sometimes adapting things to how they would be said in the west makes more sense then just reading the subtitle script. You have to be careful with that though. Seems they made good calls here, and that's great news! I'll judge it for myself soon enough. bs3311 liked the dub too I read, and I usually agree with his opinion on dubs. So now I'm excited.

I really like Kyle Jones as an ADR director, he is easily one of the best out there. Nice to see he's doing more work. This came in the mail awhile ago, but I guess I should start watching it now. People keep telling me to watch it. I just finished BTOOOM, suppose this makes a good chaser.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I like Log Horizon over SAO for the mere fact that the game that it takes place in is much closer to what a real MMORPG would be. spoiler[In SAO I you had a single endgame goal, the 100 floor dungeon. It also was open-world and not instanced so what would stop people from cheesing it by getting a ton of people and zerging it to achieve the first (maybe only?) kills of the bosses. Granted this is if it WAS still just a game and not life or death scenario. Also the loot system of "last hit, extra rewards" is completely stupid for ANY MMO developer to include. I'm not too sure about Japanese gamers but Western gamers would raise hell at a system like that because it is so ripe to exploited. Another thing that would kill the game is open world PvP with no restrictions on a single server, including in the PvE endgame dungeon (I think, I could be wrong on this) which would cause ganking to be rampant and cause "casuals" to leave thus eventually leaving the game in obscurity.] Ok I think I ranted enough about the flaws of SAO's games. It just irked me so much that it was obvious Reki Kawahara didn't take time to observe how real MMOs work like Mamare Touno did (at least a modicum). Also don't get me started on how the roleless, melee only system of Sword Art Online is completely ridiculous for a developer to implement with out it being a huge factor in the game's demise.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
bs3311 liked the dub too I read, and I usually agree with his opinion on dubs. So now I'm excited.

I appreciate your compliment, I just hope I don't get your hope's to high. I usally keep a cool head before watching something. And I had some netural expectations when I watched this show religiously back when it was subbed. Embarassed

If I would have to say something negative, I guess Greg as Tohya could be a problem compared to his much more childish side in the japanese. But he does portray it in the dub when meeting his new buddies and into his first big dungeon while following Naostugu's fine teachings.

And for anyone who critizises the minor characters 1 dimensional acting, you do realize they are 1 dimensional characters? lol, some people were raging over the funny youtube ads that Sentai uploaded with some funny blooper ideas. "THIS ANIME TASTES SIMPLY FABULOUS!!!!!" "HEY, ITS NOT THAAAT KIND OF LOG HORIZON!"

Quote:
-I just finished BTOOOM, suppose this makes a good chaser.

Well that one was directed by a more in focus Steven Foster, where Jovan Jackson was in as a black army vet. It was still a Btoombastic dub. Though with Chelsea Mcurrdy having some hiccups as the gamming addict kid. She did have her good moment when he killed his father, her dialouge was calm yet down to earth when she was saying how her character acomplished it yet questioned if he was insane. Sure it was'nt batshit crazy like the japanese, but they both bring fear into the viewer while being consistent with the character design.

Oh, and Andrew Love really sounded like he was in pain lol. Sadly, Steven Foster quit ADR directing in Huoston. *waiting for Stevevn Foster flamer to appear, while with my pea shooter*
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I personally was pretty disappointed by LH. At first I thought it would be mostly about action and fight with a much more rigorous take on the mmo system (where SAO gameplay would easily make it the worse mmo to have ever existed if they'd ever release it irl), I read that the writer actually knew how mmo worked. But fight turned out to be very poor, where rule were constantly ignored or applied very loosely (character getting routinely killed in one shoot, large level difference being meaningless, never really any mention about gear) and most importantly player didn't act like players, they weren't gaming the system. This was obvious during the orc invasion arc spoiler[where Shiroe's and co were freaking out cause a bunch of level 20-30 monster where on a very slow rampage when they were all level 90 and could have easily cleaned the problem themselves.] Similarly during the same arc we had to endure low level player trying to clear a dungeon, this was supposed to be about working together, but really it was mostly about how absolutely terrible they were at there classes (like mage using only one spell every 12 second or something).

But then the show moved from action/adventure to a more plan/tactic based story where the main character was hatching genius plot, well I quite liked death note and code geass so I thought I would stick around. Was pretty disappointed too since almost all the big plan either relied on Shiroe opponent being too dumb to realize obvious solution to there problem (spoiler[Throwing one attack toward the low level character Shiroe is trying to save or even something as simple as screaming when Shiroe is blocking his enemy vision]) or on Shiroe ignoring some very simple fix to the solution, like the aforementioned orc invasion arc.

It's just one of those show that I'm pretty sure I could enjoy by turning my brain off, but the show keep trying to get me to turn it on without delivering.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Prede wrote:
bs3311 liked the dub too I read, and I usually agree with his opinion on dubs. So now I'm excited.

I appreciate your compliment, I just hope I don't get your hope's to high. I usally keep a cool head before watching something. And I had some netural expectations when I watched this show religiously back when it was subbed. Embarassed

If I would have to say something negative, I guess Greg as Tohya could be a problem compared to his much more childish side in the japanese. But he does portray it in the dub when meeting his new buddies and into his first big dungeon while following Naostugu's fine teachings.

And for anyone who critizises the minor characters 1 dimensional acting, you do realize they are 1 dimensional characters? lol, some people were raging over the funny youtube ads that Sentai uploaded with some funny blooper ideas. "THIS ANIME TASTES SIMPLY FABULOUS!!!!!" "HEY, ITS NOT THAAAT KIND OF LOG HORIZON!"

Do you have a link to this trailer? I can't find it and would like to watch.

bs3311 wrote:

Quote:
-I just finished BTOOOM, suppose this makes a good chaser.

Well that one was directed by a more in focus Steven Foster, where Jovan Jackson was in as a black army vet. It was still a Btoombastic dub. Though with Chelsea Mcurrdy having some hiccups as the gamming addict kid. She did have her good moment when he killed his father, her dialouge was calm yet down to earth when she was saying how her character acomplished it yet questioned if he was insane. Sure it was'nt batshit crazy like the japanese, but they both bring fear into the viewer while being consistent with the character design.

Oh, and Andrew Love really sounded like he was in pain lol. Sadly, Steven Foster quit ADR directing in Huoston. *waiting for Stevevn Foster flamer to appear, while with my pea shooter*

I didn't mean dub wise, but plot wise aren't there some similarities between this and BTOOOM? In that sense this would be a good chaser to it. I know who dubbed BTOOOM lol Smile .

That being said i enjoyed the dub on BTOOOM and generally like Steven Foster. When Foster cared he could direct a really good dub (Pani Poni Dash, Angel Beats, Le Chevalier D'Eon, 5 Centimeters per Second...the list goes on). I know he was everyone's favorite punching bad, and yes he wasn't always on top of his game. But I enjoyed dubs from him.

Andrew Love stood out, in my opinion, on the dub of BTOOOM. He made his character so relatable, sympathetic, understandable, and I really felt the pain. everything he said, especially when he was in pain or worried was dripping with emotion. I could understand everything this poor guy was going through. And I understood he was not perfect, in regards to his relationships at work. All this came out in Love's performance. That's something only Foster could do. Have emotions like that, drip out in such a way. A true Foster dub.

Chelsea Mcurrdy sounded perhaps too much like a girl at times, but I loved the crazy. I hope to hear more from her in the future. Jovan Jackson was top notch, he was scary.
thecritter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
This is probably the most boring thing I've ever tried to watch.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
I was actually going to pass on buying Log Horizon, but now the dub has me very curious. >.> Eh, what the heck. It's a peaceful enough series (and I do really like it), and my shelf needs less melodrama anyways. Anime hyper
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
to the people who said this is a boring series im curious as to how far into the show you got before declaring that?
granted its not exactly a an action packed high octane roller coaster of action, huge raid battles exciting mob monsters etc it in my opinion is far from boring.
its action and true worth comes from watching the characters deal with new situation and seeing the protagonist plan and meticulously guide the city into the direction that he deems as 'right'. and the consequences that follow in the wake.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I was actually going to pass on buying Log Horizon, but now the dub has me very curious. >.> Eh, what the heck. It's a peaceful enough series (and I do really like it), and my shelf needs less melodrama anyways. Anime hyper

well its definitely recommended. especially if your gonna watch the dub.

however those sub pursuits that will gripe on how losse the script is from the japaneese version like there's nobody business.

though everyone would have to agree that the dub version for nyatta is the most stand out performance. i immediately knew the VA was black after ep 24 cause only a black guy would use the quote "straight pimping" during one of shiroe's plans.

of course the only way the voicing style wont work is that in the real world nyatta is a japaneese player like shiro , crusty and umiko though that haven't been mentioned as of yet even in S2 so people might have to wait for the LN or a manga version to find out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
If people don't like worldbuilding, politics, and in depth explainations of MMO concepts tweaked a bit to fit the story then it's not really any surprise that they would find it boring. Those are all the strengths of Log Horizon, and if that's not what you're in for then I don't think it's for you.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:34 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If people don't like worldbuilding, politics, and in depth explainations of MMO concepts tweaked a bit to fit the story then it's not really any surprise that they would find it boring. Those are all the strengths of Log Horizon, and if that's not what you're in for then I don't think it's for you.

While this is understandable I don't particularly like the complaint about there not being enough action (aka people cutting stuff coupled with explosions). Action junkies piss me off Evil or Very Mad

In my opinion Log Horizon does what The irregular does wrong. I don't like trying to compare Log Horizon to SAO since to be fair the goal/message of it's story is completely different. The irregular seems like a more valid comparison since it's structured much like Log Horizon in how it relies information and advances it's plot.

While being an MMO gamer does help in understanding some of the terminology/tactics it's still pretty simple for someone NOT affiliated with games to gradually get a grasp on this world. The show is filled with explanations but it was never a turn off for me. Log Horizon sports some of the best world building I've seen in an anime. And it makes sure the audience knows every single detail about it.

The irregular sports action + long winded explanations but does so in a way that confuses the average viewer. Unless you read the novels you will not understand a large majority of what's being talked about. It's almost as if the show EXPECTS you to know all this junk as sometimes new terms will come up without any explanation to what they mean. That's why I found it funny that most people I've seen comment about the show like it almost solely because of the OP main character not particularly it's world. Which is funny because after you've watched the series you end up realizing how there is almost no tension during the fights because of how far above Tatsuya is over everyone else. Couple this with plenty of characters lacking in characterization or development you've got a giant lump of what can truly be seen as "boring".

Log Horizon may not have much action but it sports a loveable cast of characters that all get their chance to shine at some point during the story. Shiroe like Tatsuya is a very big influence on others but he still has to heavily rely on others to achieve his goals as well as manage the stress of maintaining the world he's trapped in.
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
I personally love Log Horizon because it's all about worldbuilding and politics (just like I love Spice and Wolf). Sure I would've wanted more action but it's wasn't the end of the world.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Do you have a link to this trailer? I can't find it and would like to watch.

There are 4 videos that they uploaded, most of the dialogue is changed to mention anime, sentai, pre-ordering, and log horizon itself except for Maggie's and the actor for Shu.
In order:
Link1(Where is Everyone?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsOfwbSdIk0

Link2(Too Yummy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zte8Adyfr7Q

Link3(Saucy, Meaty, Juicy. Simply Fabulous!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzOgu1EU3Fs

Link4(Not that kind of Log Horizon!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKH_p6tqVVs

jr0904 wrote:
however those sub pursuits that will gripe on how loose the script is from the japaneese version like there's nobody business.

I mostly prefer strict scripts, yet I found this enjoyable. Stuff is mostly changed either for the dialogue to flow better, or iron out inconsistencies. Not to add in referential humor/hammy delivery based on its genre. I always disliked Steins;Gate for that, but moving on. Like in episode 1 when Naotsugu mentioned People of the Land, but in the dub its skipped and mutted because either way Shiroe would say the same name and explain it.

leatherhead333 wrote:
While being an MMO gamer does help in understanding some of the terminology/tactics it's still pretty simple for someone NOT affiliated with games to gradually get a grasp on this world. The show is filled with explanations but it was never a turn off for me.

Not only that, this was broadcast on day time channels in Japan by NHK. So obviously some explanation is in order, which is also done in the novels.

Quote:
While this is understandable I don't particularly like the complaint about there not being enough action (aka people cutting stuff coupled with explosions). Action junkies piss me off

Then those people clearly have never played an MMO. Where combat is strategically precise and slow. Given WOW botched this idea, it still relied on a giant Teamwork aspect. Something we rarely see in trapped in mmo-shows. Just mentioned/show, then forgotten. And with its explanation, Death Note done the same thing yet I like its 2/3's.
levonr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
to the people who said this is a boring series im curious as to how far into the show you got before declaring that?
granted its not exactly a an action packed high octane roller coaster of action, huge raid battles exciting mob monsters etc it in my opinion is far from boring.
its action and true worth comes from watching the characters deal with new situation and seeing the protagonist plan and meticulously guide the city into the direction that he deems as 'right'. and the consequences that follow in the wake.

I watched it all and found it boring most of the time. Action has nothing to do with it. The slow paced story with its long topics of discussions are just not interesting to me. I'm not that into MMO's either so that didn't help. I don't hate it, just underwhelmed by the show.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

jr0904 wrote:
however those sub pursuits that will gripe on how loose the script is from the japaneese version like there's nobody business.

I mostly prefer strict scripts, yet I found this enjoyable. Stuff is mostly changed either for the dialogue to flow better, or iron out inconsistencies. Not to add in referential humor/hammy delivery based on its genre. I always disliked Steins;Gate for that, but moving on. Like in episode 1 when Naotsugu mentioned People of the Land, but in the dub its skipped and mutted because either way Shiroe would say the same name and explain it.

however it was necessary for stein gate to go to that route otherwise the dub would have fall flat like a pancake. there are some series where being completely faithful towards the original script isnt the right course for some lines which is why people have been griping on some changes that funi makes when they have their dub version a little too loose.

though it works at the moment for this series,it definitely would have been better off if it was completely faithful towards the original scripts. especially if it turns out that nyatta is actually in the real world a japannese player instead of a male black player from the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3