• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 1 GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RHorsman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Has anybody picked up the digital version of this yet? Did Viz do a good job with it, or should I plan on grabbing the print volumes?
unitmikey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Uggghhh need this so bad.

I'm also very curious to see the differences between the anime and the manga, particularly if these is changes are due to the fact that the manga is relatively old.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
Now that Phantom Blood is over I can't wait to get into the next arc.

Phantom Blood isn't actually over yet - at least not in this particular printing. The second volume of it is coming out in May.

I'm digital only. So its over for me. Volume 3 came out this week.

RHorsman wrote:
Has anybody picked up the digital version of this yet? Did Viz do a good job with it, or should I plan on grabbing the print volumes?

I've been buying it via Amazon. The reproduction is pretty good. I had a few problems with color crush on color pages (the color is mostly orange, which gets really pixilated in places.) But the black and white reproduction (the majority of the volume) is fantastic. I recommend it if you're into digital.

Also you can be up to Volume 3 by now!
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Darkmagick wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
Now that Phantom Blood is over I can't wait to get into the next arc.

Phantom Blood isn't actually over yet - at least not in this particular printing. The second volume of it is coming out in May.

I'm digital only. So its over for me. Volume 3 came out this week.

Ah, okay. I always forget that the digital copies tend to come out earlier. Sorry about that. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
It was interesting that you felt this resembled a silver age comic in style and tone, because i've felt similarly about the entire JJBA series; the whole thing reads much more like a western comic than a manga, in my opinion, from the art style to the action.

Do you think so? I hear the combat in this series is highly strategic and cerebral, which is a far cry from what I typically find in American comic books, where combat is usually quick and to the point with characters' powers being relatively simple and straightforward.

That being said, I do enjoy reading American comics, and when I read the first chapter in Viz's Shonen Jump's preview, it did feel like a Silver Age story done well. Of course, Araki never had to deal with the CCA breathing down his neck. Just Shuiesha.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Phantom Blood is like an old EC horror comic by way of Fist of the Northstar.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Well I wouldn't really say it resembles a super-hero comic, but at least the first two arcs (Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency) do kind of mix and EC Comics plus old-fashioned pulp adventure stories.

From that point on things do get a little weirder, and though it doesn't resemble a traditional super-hero story, it does heavily give off the vibe of one written by Grant Morrison. A lot of stand users wouldn't look out of place in Doom Patrol.

Edit: Three minutes slow on the EC comparison!
navycherub

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Why won't Amazon have this until late February?
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency are honestly my favorite arc's of the series. No stands just people with supernatural powers fighting vampires = awesome.

Finally I'm not the only one that thinks this! Laughing I like Parts 3 and onward (though I've only read through Part 5 as of now), but...honestly, for all the hype part three gets, I find it to be far more about 'fights being there for the sake of more fights' than other series that complaint all the time. With Stands though, I admit, I'm a bit biased - I'm already a Persona fan, I've seen a bit of Shaman King, I grew up with Pokemon and Digimon - the notion of someone having something fighting for them, while revolutionary when JoJo first did it, is kind of 'old hat' now for me.

Again, I still love the later parts, but man, Parts 1 and 2 are easily my favorite JoJo material.

I have this volume on order (as well as the PS3 game at last), so I'm beyond excited to get to experience this story again. Everything's coming up JoJo baby!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
ReNellGlover wrote:
This "chihuateteo" she mentioned; I looked it up, and I found nothing.

I copy and pasted that into Google, but it seems to prefer "cihuateteo". Wikipedia result

Never heard it as "chiahuateteo" only as "cihuateteo" I did the experiment on Mexican google and the first option gave me only results in English... very odd, "Cihuateteo" gave me the results in spanish I was expecting in the first place and according to what I found that is how the name is said in Nahuatl so that version trumps all I guess as it would be the original one.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote
With my new shelf space i've been playing the long game with the physical editions. Can't wait, but as much as I adore Phantom Blood it's still the lesser of the series for me. And a series that has me saying that is doing a good job. Roll on Battle Tendency (a favourite of mine) for you digital lads.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
Phantom Blood, while unique within the series, was REALLY cliche by the time it rolled around. It really was just a Fist of the North Star clone, though admittedly the heroes were a bit more clever in fights and had to rely on wits. Stardust Crusaders was really where the series found its true identity and there's a reason the Stands stuck around.

Now I'm just wondering how Battle Tendency is going to be handled due to the Nazis being on the heroes' side.
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
j Talbain wrote:
Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency are honestly my favorite arc's of the series. No stands just people with supernatural powers fighting vampires = awesome.

Finally I'm not the only one that thinks this! Laughing I like Parts 3 and onward (though I've only read through Part 5 as of now), but...honestly, for all the hype part three gets, I find it to be far more about 'fights being there for the sake of more fights' than other series that complaint all the time. With Stands though, I admit, I'm a bit biased - I'm already a Persona fan, I've seen a bit of Shaman King, I grew up with Pokemon and Digimon - the notion of someone having something fighting for them, while revolutionary when JoJo first did it, is kind of 'old hat' now for me.

Again, I still love the later parts, but man, Parts 1 and 2 are easily my favorite JoJo material.

I have this volume on order (as well as the PS3 game at last), so I'm beyond excited to get to experience this story again. Everything's coming up JoJo baby!

After seeing the unique handling of the concept of stands (especially past arc 3) plus Araki's unique penchant for bizarre gross-out humor, I have trouble understanding why anyone would consider the stand arcs "old hat". This ain't no Persona. I'd get why people prefer the hamon arcs more if the 1st arc was more then just "decent". Dio pretty much carries the show there.

Last edited by gedata on Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

part 5 is probably the weakest and most formulaic of the JJBA series (but hey, still jojos); if you stick it out, Part 6 is a big improvement with the best Jojo since joseph, and Steel Ball Run (part 7) is FANTASTIC; keep on keeping on my friend Smile
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Do you think so? I hear the combat in this series is highly strategic and cerebral, which is a far cry from what I typically find in American comic books, where combat is usually quick and to the point with characters' powers being relatively simple and straightforward.

That being said, I do enjoy reading American comics, and when I read the first chapter in Viz's Shonen Jump's preview, it did feel like a Silver Age story done well. Of course, Araki never had to deal with the CCA breathing down his neck. Just Shuiesha.

maybe not the abilities, but the way fights are paced and drawn, plus the art style and tone, resemble western comics much more than shonen manga, in my opinion. I suspect that a lot of these older manga (Jojo part 1, fist of the north star, etc.) were inspired by western comics given the way the people don't look cartoonish, etc. (but don't quote me, just a guess Razz)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3