• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 OPs of 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I never considered myself someone with good musical taste, I can get easily excited by cheap tricks, if it's a track with good animation I'm replaying the song to remember the animation and years later I wind up regretting my decision to put it on my music player after replaying them to death and finally coming to the realization of how they don't live up (Some do but most....yeah...). That all being said here are some of my favorite themes, based soley on what I have seen from the year in no real order:

- Jojo's stardust crusaders: Me and over the top shonen theme songs have our ups and down, sometimes I can really dig it while other times it just misses the right beat to get me hooked and just comes off as kind of obnoxious. This one worked for me though so thank goodness for that, all of the jojo ops have even the new one!

-Monthly girls nozaki kun: I wasn't too keen on this song at first but the more I listen to it the more I fall into it's beat and start tapping my foot.

- Noragami: I don't think I like this opening now as much as I did when I first heard it but it does just the thing to pump me up before the episode starts.

-Silver Spoon: Mush like the show, the song just seems to make me feel good for some reason.

-SPACE DANDY: Man I just love this song. I didn't think I would but it just hits all the right beats and any song that has a bit of melancholy too it mostly seems to work for me.

I'm glad to be reminded of Jam project (they did a keroro opening I used to really love a few years back)and I'm actually starting to get interested in checking out Garo now!
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
No No Game No Life? No Kill la Kill? Lol, joke list.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
^
So let's see your Top 10 list (or even better, your Worst 5 list!). Put up or shut up.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
KekleKek isn't 2014, and unlike rating an anime on the whole if you've only seen half of it, you can rate an OP immediately.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
GARO OP at #1.........

Yes, yep, and yup.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I freaked out at nbr. 7. I love Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun's opening!

Hahaha nbr. 5. Great choice! The opening fitted the opening so well, as did the lyrics Anime smallmouth

AH!! Yes! Yes! Nbr. 2! Hikaru Nara!! It's beautiful and it gave me chills. The words fit so well with Arima & Kaori xD

Very Happy Garo's opening was so unique, and I loved the "GARO!" parts op the song. Everytime me and my friend talk about Garo we make it sound more dramatic by singing 'Garo' in JAM project fashion.

Anime openings I love that was not on the list are Akatsuki no Yona's OP1, Noragami, Barakamon, No Game No Life, Aldnoah Zero and Fate/Stay Night UBW 'Ideal White'. They were all a joy to listen to. Oh and also Amagi Brilliant Park and Inou Battle. Their openings fit the stories well.

I love the idea of this new column, and the execution so far is excellent! It's sad that the videos are only going to be bi-weekly, I won't be able to wait! You overestimate my patience >.<

Do a best ED 2014 list next please. ADD AlLIEz from Aldnoah Zero. No I'm joking, you can add whatever you want. But seriously, ADD it!

Last edited by AwaysAnnoyed on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
There should definitely be a column (er, video) on Bleach OPs (and EDs, too, of course!).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkdbbMMjpT8
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one having problems with the player? I get as far as Nozaki-kun and it crashes. I've tried to give it time to load, but the same thing happens. I'm using Chrome
FierceAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
A good list. I was honestly surprised to see Garo at number 1. I would've put Your Lie in April at the top but Garo is still a respectable choice.

Some others I loved include Kawaii Complex, Hamatora, Kill la Kill, and No Game No Life.

As an idea for a future list, how about vocal songs that are a part of the OST (like Blumenkranz from Kill la Kill or Monochrome from Star Driver).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia--
Have you checked out this troubleshooting thread?
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Great list! Pretty much everything I would have put in my Top Ten is on here, although I also enjoyed the OPs to Yona of the Dawn (I miss that pretty instrumental number Sad) and Mushishi (no animation but I love that song so much).

Cool to see videos from Hope again and I'm interested to see what lists pop up in the future.

Last edited by rheiders on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
KekleKek isn't 2014, and unlike rating an anime on the whole if you've only seen half of it, you can rate an OP immediately.

What if the OP gets better as you watch the show and catch little details they pepper throughout the OP that you wouldn't realize until you see certain events happen in the show? One that comes to mind is Narutaru's opening where once you finish it the opening becomes a lot more morbid when you realize what each scene is referencing.

My personal favorite 5 openings for 2014 also included Along with Terror in Resonance's Trigger, and Space Dandy's Viva Namida but it also had DISK WAR'S AVENGER's Time to Smash, Yu-Gi-Oh ARC V's Burn and Tribe Cool Crew's Heartbeat

I really like upbeat and fast paced songs and OPs that get you into the mood for the show. Slow and methodical aren't really my things, I always like OPs that get you excited to see a new episode week after week.
DanchouHaruhi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how many people actually watch the OP and ED of every episode without skipping, but I'm one of those people. Whether it's a good song or a so-so song to me, I watch it because it's part of the episode and it's my way of acknowledging the work the artists put into the song. Of course, I'd like to buy the physical singles of certain songs, but import costs are expensive... My favorite OP songs last year include (in series' alphabetical order):

- Black Bullet's Black Bullet by fripSide. I love the energy in all of fripSide's songs, and I especially liked Black Bullet because of the tune and the lyrics.

- Cross Ange's Kindan no Resistance by Mizuki Nana. I haven't decided whether or not to actually watch this, but for now, I'm waiting till the anime is finished airing. I love all of Mizuki Nana's songs ever since Nanoha. I've watched some anime just because she sings the OP and/or ED themes.

- Grisaia no Kajitsu's Rakuen no Tsubasa by Kurosaki Maon. I especially liked the background instruments in the song.

- Mahouka's Rising Hope by LiSA. Same reasons as mentioned in the video.

- Love Live's Sore wa Bokutachi no Kiseki by μ's. Yeah, I like a lot of Love Live songs now thanks to the mobile game.

- No Game No Life's This Game by Suzuki Konomi. Besides the tune, I liked the references to the anime in the song's lyrics and how some of the kanji in the official lyrics despite the normal pronunciation allude to the setting of the show.

- Nisekoi's Click by ClariS. I like ClariS' songs because Clara and Alice's voices complement each other so well. Too bad Alice left the group Sad
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
This was an extremely enjoyable column. I look forward to more! Glad to see Hanayamata on the list, it's way too addictive.

My favorite was Cross Ange by Nana Mizuki. I'm totally biased though because she's one of my favorite singers.

I'm a sucker for pop in general though, so aside from Hanayamata I really liked Locoldol and Sabagebu!'s openings. I also enjoy Love Love! second seasons', but it is a little forgettable compared to the first one to me. Also a shout-out to DENKI-GAI.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Am I the only one having problems with the player? I get as far as Nozaki-kun and it crashes. I've tried to give it time to load, but the same thing happens. I'm using Chrome

I also use Chrome and was able to watch the video without problems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5