• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Assassination Classroom English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Already? Holy shit! Did NOT expect to hear a dub so soon.

This completely disrupts all my predictions. Jamie Marchi alone set me back several guesses; figured she would play Irina. Guess I am getting out of practice. Well, back to the drawing board.

Lindsay Seidel, I remember her Ruka in Steins;Gate. Good choice.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
What do you know? Sonny actually commented on my Youtube statement! Sure that didn't mean I wont be critical in my response back to him. But I apreciate it.

TnKtRk wrote:
EPIC SNIP

Everything you said is so true. People are basically paying for a beta that is wildly irationally paraphrased by fans as, "Sentai quality dub." Lucky for me I got some cash to subscribe for a month of these. And besides, what will happen to the fixed/upgrade version? Will they be on the site? Or only availible for the physical release? If the later, then that is another paywall to go around. And its going to flop badly. Making fixes or updates is still going to cost some money and resources to figure what fix or broken peice in the original dub is going to be on the physical release or not.

Everything would just be better if they did'nt have to worry about rushing it out and just do 3 or so episodes of them at the half season/cour mark of the show. It makes Sentai Filmworks the new and improved Funimation. Laughing
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Already? Holy shit! Did NOT expect to hear a dub so soon.

Soon? The broadcast date for the dub is only 2 days away!!!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
With dubs I tend to wait about six episodes before I see where people are with their roles. It just takes time like with anything. Sonny sounds like he'll be a fun Korosensei as he's definitely good at silly characters. Heck, Koro even laments acting seriously because he thinks it ruins his rep as a gag character. We'll get a better picture with the dub premier.
shterraarson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I think it's still too early to form a complete opinion but I really really wanted Ian Sinclair to be Koro Sensei. He just has that deep, "Laaaadies and Gentlemen" kinda voice that I think would be PERFECT for Koro Sensei. I love Sonny! Don't get me wrong, but I just didn't feel it in that clip. And I totally agree with whoever said "ehhhhhhhhh". That said I'm very much looking forward to the onslaught on broadcast dubs beginning in like two days. OMGTOKYOGHOUL! Which I honestly figured they would wait on TG because it's such a HUGE show and the fans are really dedicated to it. I figured they'd wait and dub it chronological order. ANEHHOOOO hella stoked. yay! Very Happy
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Sounds fine to me! You guys had me worried there Razz
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I made a comment on YouTube that was similar to the one I posted here, and Sonny himself actually responded to my concerns over playing the part too straight. According to him, it was done that way on purpose, because the humor of the scene comes from Koro Sensei staying completely calm while all the students fire at him. He mentioned that even the Japanese seiyu played the scene completely straight. But then he told me not to worry; he gets PLENTY crazy and wacky in later scenes.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
In my head, I immediately associate that Sonny voice with Maes Hughes, which can be both good (Hughes is awesome!) and bad (voice too similar).
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:
Sure it's a work-in-progress now, but what happens if once they go back to tweak it, certain cast members are unavailable for said tweaking, or perhaps a total VA replacement for certain characters.

I'd be REALLY surprised if they don't have some sort of contract or agreement with the actors that if they're going to work on the broadcast dubs, it's expected that they'll come back and help perfect the dub later. This isn't a situation where, say, a movie comes out several years after the original and the actors might have moved on to other things. The broadcast dubs are being created with the expectation that they're going to be fixed up for the disc release later. I'm sure everyone involved in creating the dub has been made aware of that ahead of time and know the sort of work schedule they're getting involved in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
TnKtRk wrote:
Sure it's a work-in-progress now, but what happens if once they go back to tweak it, certain cast members are unavailable for said tweaking, or perhaps a total VA replacement for certain characters.

I'd be REALLY surprised if they don't have some sort of contract or agreement with the actors that if they're going to work on the broadcast dubs, it's expected that they'll come back and help perfect the dub later. This isn't a situation where, say, a movie comes out several years after the original and the actors might have moved on to other things. The broadcast dubs are being created with the expectation that they're going to be fixed up for the disc release later. I'm sure everyone involved in creating the dub has been made aware of that ahead of time and know the sort of work schedule they're getting involved in.

Not to mention that, at least in this particular dub, all of the actors currently still live in Texas. You don't see anyone in the cast who's known for running back and forth between Flower Mound and L.A. like Mignogna, Haberkorn, and Cherami.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:42 am Reply with quote
If on average these dubs turn out to be at least passable, this is going to be very embarrassing for Sentai.

Aniplex often make dubs only months after the show finishes airing but they're mostly very good. Funimation dubbed Space Dandy as it aired in Japan and it was also amazing. After a huge delay as a direct consequence of some really dumb decisions Sentai finally dub Chuunibyou, one of the most popular anime of 2012, over 2 years after the show finishes airing (Well after the completely unnecessary Season 2 and recap movie caused a steep decline in the show's popularity) and it turns out... okay-ish. Which is actually a great deal above Sentai's miserable average.

I hope I don't have to wait until March to see the Yurikuma cast.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
I have no comment on the dub, I'm just curious if they know what they really mean with the term "Dubblespeak".

"Well, it's a dub and its a double to the original Japanese simulcast."

No, that would be Dubbling. Dubblespeak directly invokes 1984's Doubletalk.

If we should be watching Funimation, are they watching right us back? I did not know the internet could do that. Wait, Sonny Strait is directly answering yuotube comments? Freaky!

Still, I'm not giving them money to listen to a Dub Beta; That's what Sentai's for {I like them but then again, I'd take Ocean over any California dub}.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:42 am Reply with quote
Well...THAT was fast...

One the one hand it's not like I'm used to the Japanese cast yet so it makes judging on it's own merits a bit easier, on the other hand I feel a bit iffy on Korosensei, there was ONE point where I felt it worked and maybe it will work out for the rest of the show but otherwise it just sounds a tad odd... Otherwise it sounded pretty decent.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
Krillin becoming an assassin? What would his wife think?
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
LavenderMintRose wrote:
flackenstien wrote:
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Thirded/fourthed/whatever it is now.

I dunno, maybe I'm just biased because it's Jun Fukuyama in Japanese and there's Durarara this season so I've been associating Koro-sensei with characters like Shinra... but yeah, this doesn't quite...

For some reason, FUNi's dubs have been not-quite for a while now. I mean, all two shows I've watched from them, because the rest of the shows I like haven't gotten dubs. But there's a certain... flourish, maybe? Not quite sure if that's the right word. But the quality that I like, dubs have gotten it (best recent non-FUNi example would be K), and FUNi's dubs have gotten it in the past (e.g. Black Butler, Princess Jellyfish, Romeo X Juliet), but it's just missing here.
I mean, if you don't like the dub, just watch with Japanese audio ... but it's nice to have a good dub.
Aaand, I shouldn't get my hopes up for the other thing I like from that list.
And it's still better than Sentai.

i felt the same way,but i trust sonny to get it right,being one of their veterans and all.

from what i gather funi is trying out new voice talent/ new directorial approaches to their show,which is usually and greatly appreciated. I haven't really listened to a many of the new dubs lately from any of the companies,not because they are bad,but mostly as i have been busy with many of the awesome live action ventures we are getting these days.

one thing i can say without hesitation is that funi is one of the few companies that remain consistently good throughout their run of dub productions,and i don't see his one being different. sure their voice talent pool is small,but thats what you get for working with a texas based company,based on a niche product/genre of entertainment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3