• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Only Human

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Steins;Gate is a pretty great show (and to this day by far the best thing I've ever seen come out of White Fox) that really comes together the most over it's second half but I'm admittedly always puzzled by how it makes so damn many peoples best of all time lists. I guess it's just how a lot of people nowadays really seem to take a good VN adaptation into consideration more than most types of anime.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
Extremely interesting episode lot to think on, the comments on the Reweby creator, made me think of back when ANN had that retrospective on the work of Satoshi Koan and some used it as place to say essentially “well he wasn't that good.” Only a few weeks after he had died, as far as Zac's comments on social responsibility or personal ethics and where you shop or when buy things, we may be on different sides of the gay marriage question.

But I can relate to feeling put on the defensive by some in you're own camp according to some with my same beliefs I should never buy Starbucks or quit my job (because my employer gives same sex partner benefits) for lack of a better term it's learning “vocation” and “stewardship.”

Or realizing that balance is sometimes better than trying to be the “firebrand,” the part on dating was particularly neat although I don't date and am not looking .

Though if I did I wouldn't want to date a girl who shared the same hobbies as me as I would rather stay friends and that whole idea of needing to be in a relationship that some have has always frankly baffled me. As an aside on the bit on confidence work in retail and it's incredibly easy to fake being confident or friendly in a retail job. You simply have to practice studied vagueness and giving seemingly in depth non-answers and become practiced in banality. Also the financial advice was spot on so good on you both for that.

What little in the way of spring Anime that looks promising I'm mostly waiting for the Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works second half and the My Love Story!! Anime adaptation.

Summer looks a little more promising for me what with Monster Musume getting green lit for an Anime, also I would have to say I am one of those people who legitimately likes Cross Ange. I don't think it selling well will mean more “rapey” content will get into Anime. As those who still have an interest in it still aren't watching it for that so much.

While the sales could be contributed to the Blu Rays and DVDs being uncensored , much like how I predict Testament of Sister New Devil will probably end up selling well on home video. Can't wait for the Stein's Gate ANNcast as I attempted to watch that once got one episode in and simply went “nope not for me” so it'll be interesting to get the opinion of someone who has seen the entire series.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I quit RWBY after 1 season, so this might have been explained in the show later, but I was always under the impression that RWBY was supposed to be pronounced "Ruby." It ties in with the color theme, and because that's kind of how it would be pronounced if it were a Welsh word, and it's her name.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
FANTASTIC advice about finding a relationship toward the end of the show. The best thing you can do is be well-rounded and accomplished in your own life and genuinely be interested in other people, not just where they happen to mirror your own particular nerd-stimulus.

As an aside to Justin, OkCupid is a frickin' battle ground. Best of luck!

Last edited by Greg Aubry on Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
What really went wrong with the anime of Earthsea I know you mention the SyFy channel screw it up. They really did I read the original trilogy but the books have a great story to tell and told it well. Well it took French tv to do justice to Incident at Owl Creek by Ambrose Berice which why Rod Serling pick up the rights to broadcast it on the original Twilight Zone. Sad
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I certainly hope that what Cross Ange has become most infamous for doesn't become a trend. If I does, I'd vote that we just have a series called Will My Little Sister Get Cuter if I Rape Her, which would consist of twelve episodes of nothing but light bars with a radio drama playing over it. Besides, that way the production would have much looser deadlines, because they wouldn't have to animate anything until the home video release.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite how big a deal it is, Steins;Gate has never remotely interested me. It's not a resentful or dismissive lack of interest, it just somehow fails to register with me. I don't even know anything about the premise. I think science might be involved or something... possibly time travel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The advisory on dating nerd girls was interesting, but not really that relevant to me. A clerk who just says, "thank you," and moves you along as fast as possible sounds great. I hate it when they try to banter with me. Just shut up and give me my sadness tubes of misery crème.

That's what I call twinkies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
The most I'm seeing with fan restoration projects usually involves tweaking any available masters, or getting Japanese R2s when available. They're still out there for some projects, but it's mostly diminished returns for stuff now unless there's some nice new BluRay released. Still, little upgrades here and there for for old OVAs and movies are appreciated, as are getting some complete and new fansubs, like for the Dream Hunter REM and Dream Dimension Hunter Fandora OVAs.

On the Sunrise shows that FUNi's yet to release, everyone should be pleased by Outlaw Star's remaster, it make Bebop's BD look like crap. It's even better than Escaflowne's.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
On the Sunrise shows that FUNi's yet to release, everyone should be pleased by Outlaw Star's remaster, it make Bebop's BD look like crap. It's even better than Escaflowne's.

Oooh, that's tempting. I still prioritize Escaflowne, but I never did collect Outlaw Star, and I did enjoy it, so...

Damn it, I'm going to have flies coming out of my wallet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
I kind of knew immediately that Zac's U-Verse story wasn't going to end well. Not that it's bad — it's what I have for internet, actually — but it's usually really asymmetrical in the up and down bandwidths. And that's bad for outbound streaming. For example, I get 18 down and 1.5 up. And when you leave a little headroom, that means for outbound streaming you can only count on about 1 Mbps, which isn't even standard def quality with H.264. So it's hard to imagine that Can You Survive would itself survive such a narrow pipe. Still, I've always liked the DSL/U-Verse premise of having your own dedicated line, even if it's twisted-pair, rather than sharing local loop bandwidth with all your neighbors.

As for keeping the cable TV subscription, I don't get the sense that Zac or Hope watch a lot of live TV (sports, breaking news, etc.), so wouldn't it be possible to just apply that $100/mo to season passes of your favorite scripted shows on iTunes / Amazon Instant / Google Play?
daichi383

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
FANTASTIC advice about finding a relationship toward the end of the show. The best thing you can do is be well-rounded and accomplished in your own life and genuinely be interested in other people, not just where they happen to mirror your own particular nerd-stimulus.

As an aside to Justin, OkCupid is frickin' battle ground. Best of luck!

Definitely agree with this. Thats why i'm trying to work on improving myself before i even attempt another relationship. OkCupid can be rough lol.
Kyon27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
A clerk who just says, "thank you," and moves you along as fast as possible sounds great. I hate it when they try to banter with me. Just shut up and give me my sadness tubes of misery crème.

That's what I call twinkies.

I also prefer a quick checkout vs. banter in the store.

And that's a mean name for Twinkies. Mr. Twinkie will never judge you. Mr. Twinkie thinks you're perfect just the way you are, and he will always be your friend.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
Really fantastic show. Very Happy

The "don't base your relationships on shallow common interests" thing is a lesson I had to learn the hard way even just with friends. Most of my really crazy crash-and-burn-in-a-ditch former friendships over the years, started as something like "We got to know each other on a forum for fans of this TV show!" Or "we were in the same clubs in high school!"

Common interests, activities and clubs are a nice place to start, but the people you pull out from that to build lasting relationships with--platonic, romantic or otherwise--you should have a bit more in common with than that. Stuff like shared values, life goals, sense of humor, that sort of thing.

Last edited by SailorTralfamadore on Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to getting Night on the Galactic Railroad from Discotek. I love that movie.

Also, come on, Hartford has plenty of places to get lunch, Justin. You should have tried Feng Asian Bistro. Though I think you might need reservations, it still is lunch-equipped.

It's going to be amusing when all the people who've been waiting for Rebuild 3.33 to come out see what they've been waiting for and realize it wasn't worth the wait. What a phenomenally awful film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
A question for the next ANNCAST...

How do you get an earworm out of your head, specifically Breakfast at Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something?

Gits!

Personally I haven't paid for TV, ever, beyond the usual £100-odd annual licence fee for the BBC that's compulsory for TV owners (with an antenna/satellite dish) in the UK. Frankly when commercial TV offers 38 minutes of programming per hour and 22 minutes of advertising, I think it's a gall that you get charged extra on top. An antenna on top the roof nets me 100 plus TV channels through Freeview. A satellite dish plus Freesat receiver nets me a couple hundred more. That's all the TV I'll ever need, with some 15 of those channels broadcast in HD. I'm all set for re-runs and I get to watch some classic TV I missed out on when I was a kid. It isn't too bad for first run shows, although the majority of the popular stuff is subscription. Still get to watch Gotham and Agents of Shield.

Besides, the fact of the matter is that nowadays I watch maybe two or three hours of broadcast television a week. The Internet's stocked up with catch-up streaming services for all the main UK FTA channels, and I spend more time watching anime on Crunchyroll than I do watching TV.

Cut the cable, you know you want to. save up that money and buy those 'special' shows that you would have watched broadcast on Blu-ray instead, watch them in decent quality picture and audio. You'll still be better off at the end of the year.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I've dated a few girls into my hobbies when I was younger and to be quite honest looking back I regret it given the drama that surrounded it. It's probably not too unsurprising though, given nerdom is a culture that attract socially awkward people. But I was in my early 20s back then. Perhaps as people get older and mature things will change and people into games or anime won't be quite as immature as they are back then. As of right now warning signs I generally avoid are girls with piercings, tattoos, or bright dyed hair.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3