• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Masashi Kishimoto Wins 'Rookie of the Year' Award for Naruto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Xristophoros wrote:
people, he is qualified as a "rookie" because naruto was his first project

But that's nonsensical reasoning to call a person a rookie. Plenty of people have five or six different manga series out and they could be just a few chapters long, and how does that make them any more experienced than Kishimoto? Does that mean I could write twelve five chapter manga stories and I'm less of a rookie than Kishimoto?

I don't care if Naruto is his first big work, Kishimoto made that manga for over a decade. He's not a rookie.

Granted, Naruto is pretty bad, but if you're going to give him an award for his body of work, it shouldn't be because he's a good "rookie".

I hear ya... but i suppose the criteria for the term "rookie" is just different than the definition you are used to. in this case, "rookie" refers to a mangaka's first work. whether naturo was completed in one year or twenty years is irrelevant. kishimoto would have qualified for the award in any case. also, naruto isn't shakespeare or anything but to call it "pretty bad" is rather snobby when you consider its target audience. it was aimed at teenage boys and more than served its purpose at getting them excited and keeping their interest (hence why the manga ran for as long as it did). it was quite original and refreshing with its character designs and fighting art techniques. you cannot deny naruto's influence on the anime/manga world and to say otherwise would be unfair on a myriad of levels. not since dbz has a series taken the world by storm in the same way. naruto was great fluff and will be remembered.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of confusion would come from the term "-of the year". Perhaps since the award was given to Kishimoto THIS YEAR that title makes some sense, but I think a better name for the award would be "Outstanding rookie" or something like that. Some way to inform people that the award isn't necessarily limited to what the awardee did in the year the award was bestowed.

Could just be a lost in translation issue.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I see people here are confused. I guess you guys would have preferred the term "Best completed 1st work award."
yowamushi kettle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
For he's a jolly good Rookie! For he's a jolly good Rookie! For he's a jolly good Rookieeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
without a taste is quality, seriously I'm glade that train wreck of a manga is over.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I have written about the term 'shinjin', which could be translated as 'rookie', in the context of the prizes in question.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4213028#4213028

Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, i think how he ended the series was a rookie-level choice.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Very strange for Masashi Kishimoto to be awarded "Rookie of the Year" despite Naruto running for over a decade and a half. Confused Perhaps the Japanese award ceremonies have their own unique way of handling their awards?

Yeah I seen some weird awards from Japan like this one for example.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
loveless one without love

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
When I first saw this I was like yes he deserves an award for all his hard work naruto will always be one of my favorite shows.

I think some of the comments are right when they say he got the rookie of the year award because this is his first manga but I get where you other guys are coming from to I feel like he deserves more but, congratulations anyway here's to all your future success Very Happy
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
In terms of quality in bith the script and art department, Kishimoto is most certainly a rookie. Man has a lot to learn,
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
At least I was happy with spoiler[Shikamaru and Temari] becoming canon.
unleashrage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Kishimoto did a one-shot prior to Naruto called Karakuri, so this can't be for his first work unless one-shots don't count.
_Darkblondie_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Naruto got nominated for 19th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize this year as well. I am glad that Kishimoto already got a award though "rookie" sounds weird for a 15 years of phenomenal work. I mean Masashi Kishimoto is a Shonen Jump veteran.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
If that's true, then Oda Eiichirō, One Piece's author, could possibly win that award as well upon completing his series, since One Piece is his first serialized work.

I thought that prior to One Piece, he had drawn Romance Dawn, Monsters, and Wanted!, though all three of those were one-shots.

Nevertheless, Naruto was Masashi Kishimoto's first serious work, though I'm not sure if he wanted Karakuri to be a full series.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely a weird situation. If they were going to give Kishimoto this award they should have given it to him during the first year of serialization for the series. But since it's his first completed series, that should be default make One Piece and Hajime no Ippo eligible when they finish as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3