• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Testament of Sister New Devil Gets 2nd Season, New Original Anime BD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randy1925

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
Revy's MINE! wrote:
I haven't watched any of Sister New Devil (yet) though I'm very likely to start - so I'm truly just curious, as the premise seems exceedingly similar...is it just me or is this INCREDIBLY similar to High School DxD? Possibly even helping take up a little of the slack before HSDxD's 3rd season is due out?

Don't misunderstand though - I'm not bashing it by any stretch. I'm merely curious. As such, for those who've seen both, which do you prefer / think is better in your opinion?
Similar to highschool dxd? hardly lol high school dxd is much superior in pretty much everything
Revy's MINE!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
@Alan45

Thanks - appreciate it. Since I haven't watched yet, just going from the descriptions and a few reviews, it unfortunately looks nearly identical and less worthy of a viewing. Granted, plenty can be seen as regurgitated material to some degree, this just looked a lot like a carbon copy from the outside. Thanks for the clarified separation.

I'll likely check it out before much longer. Much obliged!
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
This was to be expected since the BD sale for this series did quite well (pre-order anyways). I guess the censoring tactic really got the people to go buy those BD to get them uncensored.
Vennex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
Well not gonna be my most anticipated show or anything but I'll watch it. Just hope they execute the plot a little bit better than they did in season 1.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
This was to be expected since the BD sale for this series did quite well (pre-order anyways). I guess the censoring tactic really got the people to go buy those BD to get them uncensored.

Which is the real sad thing here. For me it certainly did not work (see thread for the episode reviews) and I actually think its a terrible tactic for promotion... but to each their own. It's not that it is a bad series... there have been lots worse harem shows lately (Dragonar *shudder*) but there have also been so many good series last season alone which I would have much rather seen a second season of (soon).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
I'm less surprised by this than I am by the fact that nobody besides Crunchyroll has licensed it for anything. I suppose there isn't a huge rush, but with Sentai picking up Cross Ange for home video and Funimation doing a broadcast dub for Absolute Duo, it sort of sticks out that this show is currently only licensed for streaming on Crunchroll.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Oh, I'll be surprised if it doesn't get a home video release announcement during the spring/summer convention season, especially with it having earned a second season.

And I'll fully agree that it's a poor man's High School DxD. The only two places where Testament has a slight edge are that it seems to be more explicit and that Maria is arguably the best supporting character between the two casts. DxD is superior in all other ways, including all qualitative and production measures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Watched about half the series and gave up spoiler[on that TV broadcast that is. Screw that censorship.] Just gonna wait for the BDs to come out. I sure do hope DxD3 is run uncensored on AT-X.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
haven't even watched it yet, and I expected this.

Kadmos1 wrote:
While we're at it, how about a new Aesthetica season?

This dog has the right thought process right now. Thank you. lol
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
it has a second season?

i originally wrote this off as just another borderline hentai harem comedy but if theres a second season then theres a chance it might dial down on the fanservice and add some plot and believable character development.

or it might do the opposite... yeah my money is on the opposite
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
I guess the censoring tactic really got the people to go buy those BD to get them uncensored.

I would like to think that fans of the original light novel went out in droves to support this series so there would be a second season. IMO something similar happened with Prisma Illya, fans want to see the rest of the story animated because it gets better later on.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
haven't even watched it yet, and I expected this.

Kadmos1 wrote:
While we're at it, how about a new Aesthetica season?

This dog has the right thought process right now. Thank you. lol
somehow someway I want that second season of aesthetica to happen I never liked cliffhangers and show is definitely one of them also I just checked and new sister devil only has 7 or so light novels wouldn't they be stretching it thin with the amount of material or lack there of compared to DxD which had at the beginning probably got adapted with more material left to produce?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
itachi06103570 wrote:
somehow someway I want that second season of aesthetica to happen I never liked cliffhangers and show is definitely one of them also I just checked and new sister devil only has 7 or so light novels wouldn't they be stretching it thin with the amount of material or lack there of compared to DxD which had at the beginning probably got adapted with more material left to produce?

This season Log Horizon 2 will end in a cliffhanger and has exhausted all the original material from the light novel, so no, Japan has no problem leaving us with a yearning for more, quite the opposite.

If Aestetica had enough sales outside Japan they might do more episodes (happened in Voltron: Lion Force), but I do not think that it will ever be that popular.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
Mathias2001 wrote:
*Facepalm* Out of all the series you could have done, why this shit? Sad

Hey, no need to bash a anime just because you didn't like it.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
Excellent, I liked the first season and can't wait for the next season. I love the harem and action anime such as this. Like many people have said before, every anime is made for specific audiences and genres. So if you didn't like the first season or the raunchiness, then I highly advise you stay away from it. Though, it had seinen listed as a genre. That was a good enough warning for those that don't like that genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3