• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 EDs of 2004

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
Another great list, as per usual. Just to satisfy my curiosity, since you seem to be doing these year op lists in pairs, will you be doing an ED list for the years you've already covered back when you were on TGWTG?

Yes, and OPs too! Those lists might be pretty different now, (and I know for a fact that the older ones are riddled with factual errors), and I don't assume many have seen them since they weren't on ANN or anything. I'll probably go further back in time before I revisit those more recent years, though.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I hate to be critical over such a tiny nitpick and have held back from mentioning it til now, but it looks like there's a hair over the upper left corner of the video's white frame and it's very distracting (in full screen). Smile I keep wanting to reach out and brush it off.

So that's actually a texture crack in the photograph frame onscreen, but because the video is rendered at a fairly low-ish bitrate for 1280x720, you can't quite tell that it's a texture crack or even that the white frame is a physical polaroid frame sort of. It is kinda hard to tell at the lower bitrate/resolution in the window, so maybe I will de-texturize it so it won't be so distracting.

justsomeaccount wrote:

By the way, I guess very soon we will find videogames music, isn't it? Since it's said everytime at the start of the episode, I'm curious about what kind of games or if they have to be related with anime or something.

Next time~! Very Happy

EricJ2 wrote:
Always thought the Afro Gunsou animation wasn't supposed to be a "Saturday Night Fever" parody, it was supposed to be a Dance Dance Revolution parody.

Saturday Night Fever was a hit in Japan actually. It gets referenced in a lot of anime and other things. But the resemblance is pretty...

Yup.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Saturday Night Fever was a hit in Japan actually. It gets referenced in a lot of anime and other things. But the resemblance is pretty...

Actually, was trying to explain the columnist's puzzlement with "And why the jerky CGI animation, that looks like some kind of video game?"
(....Nowwww d'you get it?) Razz
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
It's difficult to know what one is voting for when there is a voting selection "Gundam Seed Destiny" and one sees in the encyclopaedia entry:

Quote:

Ending Theme:
#1: "Reason" by Nami Tamaki (eps 1-13)
#2: "Life Goes On" by Mika Arisaka (eps 14-25)
#3: "I Wanna Go To A Place..." by Rie Fu (eps 26-37)
#4: "Kimi wa Boku ni Niteiru" (君は僕に似ている; You are Similar to Me) by See-Saw (eps 38-50)

More detail than just the anime name would be helpful in the voting list, making it a link back to the ANN Encyclopaedia entry would help when there is only a single ending theme, an additional song title would be helpful when there are multiple ending themes.

Last edited by omiya on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

Actually, was trying to explain the columnist's puzzlement with "And why the jerky CGI animation, that looks like some kind of video game?"
(....Nowwww d'you get it?) Razz

Oh. No, I'm pretty sure that's technological limitations of the little frog models. You can basically see all the joints of their little CG frog skeletons. Ah, 2004~

omiya wrote:
It's difficult to know what one is voting for when there is a voting selection "Gundam Seed Destiny" and one sees in the encyclopaedia entry:

Quote:

Ending Theme:
#1: "Reason" by Nami Tamaki (eps 1-13)
#2: "Life Goes On" by Mika Arisaka (eps 14-25)
#3: "I Wanna Go To A Place..." by Rie Fu (eps 26-37)
#4: "Kimi wa Boku ni Niteiru" (君は僕に似ている; You are Similar to Me) by See-Saw (eps 38-50)

Any of them and all of them. It may or may not end up buffering the placement of the show, but it's ranked by show so it doesn't get unnecessarily overcomplicated and clogged. I know some shows have multiple OP's and ED's but unless the show itself is the entire topic of the poll, it mostly just needlessly overcomplicates things to split them up. The Gundam SEED entry counts for all the ED themes.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Any of them and all of them.
The Gundam SEED entry counts for all the ED themes.

OK, thanks!

Is there any better way to get a list of 2004 anime series than using:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2004_anime_television_series?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

Any of them and all of them.
The Gundam SEED entry counts for all the ED themes.

OK, thanks!

Is there any better way to get a list of 2004 anime series than using:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2004_anime_television_series?

I use this. (Change specifications as needed, the link is Literally Every Anime TV Series Chronologically, but you can tweak it.)
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
For whatever reason, there are never as many ED songs I like as much as OP songs. For every ED song I like, there's about 10 more OPs that I like.

So the only 2004 anime EDs I can even remember liking off the top of my head are Kannazuki no Miko and School Rumble.

But wow, it didn't even occur to me how different the music was back then for the OPs and EDs. The OPs today are usually all j-pop or j-rock and the EDs are usually the same, but "softer" and "quieter." Not to say that there aren't as many GOOD OPs and EDs -- there are a bunch -- but there's not too much variety now in terms of music genre.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
So that's actually a texture crack in the photograph frame onscreen, but because the video is rendered at a fairly low-ish bitrate for 1280x720, you can't quite tell that it's a texture crack or even that the white frame is a physical polaroid frame sort of. It is kinda hard to tell at the lower bitrate/resolution in the window, so maybe I will de-texturize it so it won't be so distracting.

Well, if it turns out to be a big hassle, don't worry about it. Now that I know what it is, I think my mind can accept that and stop obsessing over it. Wink Thanks for explaining.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Lynxikat wrote:
For whatever reason, there are never as many ED songs I like as much as OP songs. For every ED song I like, there's about 10 more OPs that I like.

So the only 2004 anime EDs I can even remember liking off the top of my head are Kannazuki no Miko and School Rumble.

But wow, it didn't even occur to me how different the music was back then for the OPs and EDs. The OPs today are usually all j-pop or j-rock and the EDs are usually the same, but "softer" and "quieter." Not to say that there aren't as many GOOD OPs and EDs -- there are a bunch -- but there's not too much variety now in terms of music genre.

Anime was less commoditized back then. Not necessarily "better." But less a carefully calculated product definitely. The same could be said of movies, really. Oh franchising~
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
I did not see it coming as I assumed For the Love of Life would take the top spot. Poor Monster, always the bridesmaid.

Agreed, For the Love of Life is the best.
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I actually perked up at the Doki Doki School Morning cover of Furare kibun de Rock'n Roll. Good choice, too. Take a look at this glorious raw 80s.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
ssgOverlord wrote:
I actually perked up at the Doki Doki School Morning cover of Furare kibun de Rock'n Roll. Good choice, too. Take a look at this glorious raw 80s.

Oh My Gooooooooooooooooooood.

It's beautiful. Laughing
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Love the #1 pick, and it's good to see some of my favorites from Initial D: Fourth Stage, GitS:SAC 2nd Gig, Fantastic Children and Samurai Champloo making the list.

But once again, I have to mention the underrated Melody of Oblivion. That ending animation is just so... classy, even though the song is quite standard. Samurai 7, on the other hand, has a pretty standard ending sequence but I love the song. And Bonnie Pink's "Last Kiss" is one of the few things I like about Gantz's wretched anime adaptation.
micheblueberry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
realy great list Laughing
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
God... these past two set-lists are giving me middle-school flashbacks...

I even saw Doki Doki Schoolhours. It was an extremely lazily made Azumanga-ripoff with each character being defined by a one-note gag.

And I still have fond memories of it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3