• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Tow Ubukata [2015-05-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
The world needs more Fafner. The anime gods know it to be true.

residentgrigo wrote:
Fafner is just a joke (well it´s Xebec)

BEGONE!
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
So... he was not 100% satisfied with his work on Psycho Pass 2? Wow, I never would have guessed.

Although hearing about all the time constraints and the restrictions imposed on him I guess I can't really blame him for the way it turned out.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:54 am Reply with quote
Man this was a great interview, and Ubukata seems like a cool guy. Its funny, I've haven't watched much of his works but I've been following his career (in terms of series, interviews, magazine articles) since I first started getting in depth into anime. I remember reading an article not too long after I got a Fafnir dvd about the (at the time) upcoming Mardock Scramble ova. Shame it got cancelled. I'm surprised to find out it was going to be mainly cgi, but I still like Gonzo and Range Murata's a great artist, so I would've like to have seen it. Whch reminds me, I need to find his Spiegel series.
NormanS

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Mardock Scramble, it had great visuals and Rune Balot and Oefocque are great characters.
anddo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Kenji Kamiyama needs to be given control of GitS again. Arise is by no means a bad series, but the philosophical, political and especially historical themes are definitely lacking.

I was just watching the SAC episode with the Tachikoma discussing Luddite "discrimination" and the concept of Memento Mori and learned more intellectually in a single episode than the entirety of Arise, which seems to be a more fantasy-oriented action series.
partially

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I think that is a good way to describe Tow Ubukata's style – fantasy-orientated action. It is why I really do not think he is a good fit for GiTS. His style of action is fun, and despite its problems I enjoyed Mardock. However as a director and writer it seems that for him everything must be stylish, cool, and big, with logic and reasoning only being of secondary concern.

I would much prefer him to continue directing and writing original works. I have enjoyed all his previous works. It is quite obvious though that he is unable to adapt his style to suit other properties (see Psycho-Pass, GiTS). So not sure why he is continuing to take over established properties.
anddo

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts exactly. His tendency to stick to stylish low-depth storytelling is actually made clear in this very interview when he asserts that his job is to adapt GitS for a "younger audience". To me, a statement like that is a dangerous thing to say to the fanbase of an intellectually-driven franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2