• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan English Dub Reunites Haruhi Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meggu

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Sure, they're too cheap to get the cast of "Danganronpa" back, but they'll get the cast for this back.

Please let this post serve as a lesson to all: Literally, no matter what you do, people will always find some reason to complain.

Anyway, I don't care for this show at all, but I'm sure many are preparing their "Told you so's", victory laps, and tearing their shirts and screaming bloody murder simply because of this cast reunion. Many fans are very happy, I'd assume.

So good on Funi I guess.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I haven't really liked Nagato Yuki-chan, but I gotta give credit where credit's due. Funimation's really been surpassing my expectations and then some with their broadcast dubs.
macattack

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I wasn't sure which way this would go. The overwhelming opinion was that people wanted Bang Zoom on this and since basically the whole cast of Haruhi is on he broadcast dub for Duararax2 it seemed like there was a decent shot this would happen. I'm quite pleased since the alternative would have been to replace several veteran actors.

Alex Von David is involved according to Sabat, which hints that BZ is the recording studio but that hasn't been officially revealed yet.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Chris Sabat isn't the ADR Director, he's the producer. The actual ADR Director is Todd Haberkorn with Alex von David as assistant director.

https://twitter.com/Chris24_Sabat/status/603982871141863424

Please update to fix that error.
That actually makes sense. Todd moved from Taxes to LA were most of those VA are located. And since Todd was first mostly a Funimation VA he is very familair and is trusted by them to handle this. Very happy lol. Good thing that Todd moved to LA xD.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Sure, they're too cheap to get the cast of "Danganronpa" back, but they'll get the cast for this back.

From what I understand, the dub for that show was actually done before the games came out, and it was delayed until recently. Basically, it sounds like Funimation did its own dub because they didn't know who they would even need at the time. The cast for Hyperdimension Neptunia, and Bayonetta were kept pretty much intact, as was the case for various former Geneon properties, so I don't think that being cheap was the problem.

macattack wrote:

Alex Von David is involved according to Sabat, which hints that BZ is the recording studio but that hasn't been officially revealed yet.

True. The announcement on Funi's site lists Okratron 5000 as the official studio with Sabat as director. Although, I would guess that such is the case so it is clear who gets to make the bigger decisions. For the sake of practicality, I would guess that BZ is doing the actual recording since it would be rather difficult and costly, to have that many actors make the LA to Dallas trip. Some of them have made that trip while some haven't, but I have to think outsourcing is the easier method on this.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Thu May 28, 2015 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
MasterSword23

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
If they got all these people that don't work for Funimation to do it, Johnny Yong Bosch HAS to be returning because he actually does Funimation stuff.

Either way I'm SUPER excited!
coolkidpiccolo

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I think Johnny will return as Itsuki. I mean he must be doing something very important, or must have a full schedule to not be able to reprise him. Todd and Johnny are swell friends, and I think Todd can persuade Johnny to reprise him and in return Todd will release one of Eyeshine's members from his basement Twisted Evil
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
Chris Sabat isn't the ADR Director, he's the producer. The actual ADR Director is Todd Haberkorn with Alex von David as assistant director.

https://twitter.com/Chris24_Sabat/status/603982871141863424

Please update to fix that error.
That actually makes sense. Todd moved from Taxes to LA were most of those VA are located. And since Todd was first mostly a Funimation VA he is very familair and is trusted by them to handle this. Very happy lol. Good thing that Todd moved to LA xD.

Interesting. The announcement on Funi's site lists Sabat as the director, but this makes much more sense, and fits with how prior outsourced dubs have worked. Plus, I'm inclined to think Sabat would know what his job actually is.

Also, Todd has helped out at least once when it comes to recording a Funi show in LA. Carrie Savage had a handful of lines in Fairy Tail that weren't going to be worth traveling for, so Todd recorded her at his home studio and sent it to Tyler Walker.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Didn't care for the Yuki Nagato series but wow way to go Funimation! So I guess they're cooperating with Bang Zoom or splitting it between Texas and LA? Interesting thought just because some of Funimation's own staff is on this and we have Alex Von David alongside. Ah I'm too much of a nerd for behind the scenes stuff even when I don't particularly care for the anime Laughing
Supermutant

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Funimation does it again. Anyone surprised should not be. Funimation has tried to get as much cast back for shows like this. At times it not possible. Best examples: Slayers and Tenchi Muyo.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I find it ironic that in almost every topic where FUNimation licenses a new show that has an existing dub cast, there's *always* at least one guy who chirps in with the ridiculous claim that "FUNi never cares about getting the original cast back", when in reality the fact is their track record for doing so is better than almost everyone else.

Heck, even Aniplex and Sentai couldn't keep a consistent dub cast between the different Fate series. Saber has been voiced by no less than four different English actresses. Laughing
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
OMG YES. THANK YOU. Without the original cast honestly I wouldn't even have bothered with the dub for this one. Many thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
babymilo91

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I hope Johnny Yong Bosch comes back for his role of Itsuki.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

From what I understand, the dub for that show was actually done before the games came out, and it was delayed until recently. Basically, it sounds like Funimation did its own dub because they didn't know who they would even need at the time. The cast for Hyperdimension Neptunia, and Bayonetta were kept pretty much intact, as was the case for various former Geneon properties, so I don't think that being cheap was the problem.

At the very least, Lucien Dodge, Erika Harlacher, Kaiji Tang, Sean Chiplock, and Erin Fitzgerald (and, by extension, Amanda Miller) had all been confirmed long before the game actually came out. Erin also openly expressed interest in working on the anime.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Very happy to hear that they went with the original cast so far. I certainly wasn't expecting this to be a broadcast dub also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4