• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release 1st Aldnoah.Zero Season on BD, DVD with Dub, Sub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:15 am Reply with quote
$200? For this yet another generic Gundam wannabe highschool-teenagers-going-into battle-against-aliens? Martians no less? Oh wait, former Earth humans who were now born on a terraformed Mars, I get it. Meh. Worth a rent at best. Rolling Eyes
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
That's a nice offer.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote
The price mark for the Half Cours Standard Edition DVD's is better. $60 for the full Cours takes the first step in the right direction, but Aniplex has done that before. There's still more steps to take.

This isn't a series that I had a high degree of interest in and would, under rational pricing, have only bought it as a sale item. One of the steps that Aniplex needs to take.

Mark Gosdin
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:21 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

This isn't a series that I had a high degree of interest in and would, under rational pricing, have only bought it as a sale item. One of the steps that Aniplex needs to take.

Mark Gosdin

$60 /cour and you still want them to go even lower and go as far as implying that the pricing is not rational Laughing Rolling Eyes.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:42 am Reply with quote
geeeh I Really Really want to check out this one especially since there haven't been as many mecha titles coming out recently but Damn it all Aniplex the only set I'm buying from you guys is Kill la Kill and only because I managed to get the BDs for cheap at an anime con, if they keep this up they'll go the way of bandai
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
Huh, $60 for the whole dvd set is better, but still kind of expensive. Not like I care about this series. Now if they had released Vividred Operation like this (with a dub) I may have considered getting that... If Pony Canyon did a re-release of Yuki Yuna at this price I would be down. But why is the special edition more than twice the price? I mean, I get that its blu-ray but an additional $50 seems like an awful lot for a booklet and a box.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's just the trailer, but I'm not feeling this dub cast. As much as I don't wanna say it, I think I'm starting to turn into a subs rather than a dubs person.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:05 am Reply with quote
Mmm interesting I'm willing to put money on the table that Aniplex will be showing this on Toonami after Sword art online season 2 they ALWAYS have to have at least one show on TV nowadays but hey I'm not complaining. Smile
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:58 am Reply with quote
Truth be told I never had much interest in it anyway, but honestly after hearing the English dub I feel a little dead inside. Though obviously a trailer isn't a true indicator of the final product and some of the supporting cast did sound good (you can always count on Matt Mercer).

After watching Season 2, Aldnoah.Zero quickly dropped off my must buy list. For me it turned into a show that couldn't justify the usual Aniplex premium prices. Yes it has pretty visuals and the fight scenes were excellently choreographed, but the story just seemed to fall apart. Sure it wasn't amazing to begin with, but at least it was interesting.

Granted there are numerous other things, but I also thought Slaines character development between the two Seasons was highly implausible. Despite being taken under the wing of Count Saazbaum for 19 months, I found it hard to believe that he would become a capable 'LeLouche' wannabe. Especially considering how disposable he was in Season 1.

Anyway, as for Aniplex now splitting 1 cour Seasons into multiple parts. I can't say that I'm a fan of this strategy, it feels so unnecessary. For longer series or those with self contained arcs (i.e. Monogatari) volume releases make sense at least from my point of view, but this seems so pointless. Sure it's not as bad as Ponycan's current 3 volume strategy, although I will freely admit I do like their Yuki Yuna sets (hypocritical I know). I just hope it doesn't become the norm.

However, depending on what kind of release Anime Limited do for Aldnoah.Zero. I may consider picking it up in the future, if only for the visual spectacle.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Huh, $60 for the whole dvd set is better, but still kind of expensive. Not like I care about this series. Now if they had released Vividred Operation like this (with a dub) I may have considered getting that... If Pony Canyon did a re-release of Yuki Yuna at this price I would be down. But why is the special edition more than twice the price? I mean, I get that its blu-ray but an additional $50 seems like an awful lot for a booklet and a box.

It would seem companies that are subject to reverse importation clauses on their licenses can only release BDs at an inflated "special edition" price- but DVDs at regular or discounted price which becomes a real bargain in comparison. What are you paying extra for? So that Japanese Otaku doesn't buy your localized BD. Don't know why they'd want it, everyone knows you get the best quality if you keep the BD to only three episodes or less. Don't tell them anything different...

Just look at NIS's A Lull in the Sea. Their dubbed premier DVD two part set costs less than Funimation's and Sentai's new DVDs- and that's sub only DVDs in Sentai's case.

I wouldn't have thought twice if each DVD set was 60 dollars rather than 40 but it would seem some people don't care how DVDs get priced these days. Even in AD0's case, the first half of the dubbed series sells for a total of 60 dollars and that's, well, reasonable. For BD, I think.

I wouldn't want AD0 in any case as I've seen enough of it already but maybe one day AoA will do something I can support with another show. And maybe one day a pig will fly to sun and back and I'll ask him how the weather was and he'll say "bakin'".

I already know which one will happen first.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
At those prices, you could say that your wallet will get...Slained.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem paying Aniplex prices if the show is good. Episode 1-3? Good. It increasingly went downhill. I can't imagine rewatching this show on stream, nevermind Aniplex prices. All the promise from the early episodes were squandered with a frankly juvenile handling of the plot and characters. What was a true Real Robot vs Super Robot conflict ended with the Gary Stu having more powers in or out of his robot than any of the magic infused Super Robots. Yes, the machine that can predict the future was less broken than a generic pilot who for 'Reasons' is emotionally dead.

Chirico would even frown at that kid.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
It's always sad to hear some anime gets re-dubbed.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to watch this on Netflix about a year or so.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Good luck with that.
After season 1, I thought about hate watching season two....
And decided I had better use for my time.
I have moved on, but am fascinated if stuff like this at this price will make a profit.

Like Pony Canyon, are the banking on reverse importation to bail them out?

Good times to be an observer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3