• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Emblem Fates Adds Same-Sex Marriage Option

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Sooooooo, one question...., how will you have kids this way haha? Isn't a big part of the FE games to be able to make your kids fight in your army?
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Sooooooo, one question...., how will you have kids this way haha? Isn't a big part of the FE games to be able to make your kids fight in your army?

iirc, that's only in Awakening and the only reason you could do that was because of spoiler[ time travel. ]
Natt319

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Yup... Now I'm not happy. I mean really?

I guess from my understanding, it seems like the characters will just be like, superfriends or something... what siliconera said, it seemed like there was no romance... I was psyched up and then... Uh.... no. This is not okay. geez people. I mean, why would you do this nintendo? My 10 year old brother is psyched up for this! I don't think he needs to see the male avatar marry a male! I thought nintendo was supposed to be more of a family company! And what about the avatar's child?! How's that gonna happen?... i mean, really? this is not good. I'm not happy. Sad I am SAD this is ridiculous.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Natt319 wrote:

I guess from my understanding, it seems like the characters will just be like, superfriends or something... what siliconera said, it seemed like there was no romance... I was psyched up and then... Uh.... no. This is not okay. geez people. I mean, why would you do this nintendo? My 10 year old brother is psyched up for this! I don't think he needs to see the male avatar marry a male! I thought nintendo was supposed to be more of a family company! And what about the avatar's child?! How's that gonna happen?... i mean, really? this is not good. I'm not happy. Sad I am SAD this is ridiculous.

Errr...it's not like your male or female avatar has to marry someone of the same sex.

It's just an option.
-Ana-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Natt319 wrote:

I really hope that this person was not being serious.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
YumeHunter wrote:
Even though it's a small change when you only have two options but this is still a huge step up from Nintendo. Now I need to get this game!

I personally feel that ultimately, having the options limited to those two individuals is better than simply throwing the option at every character in the game. While that does mean less choice for players wishing to enter their avatar into same-sex partnerships, those two being singled out could mark them as being Nintendo's first canonically non-heterosexual characters (Although I wonder if this news will prompt Nintendo to finally comment on Birdo?).

NormanS wrote:
Doesn't this game have the child of your character and the one you choose inherit both character's traits? i wonder how that will factor in.
Unless im thinking of the wrong game.

That was the previous game Fire Emblem Awakening. In regards to Fire Emblem Fates, I've read that if spoiler[Zero enters a same-sex relationship with a male avatar, the child associated with the character becomes an adopted daughter].

I haven't played Fates so I could be entirely wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if Intelligent Systems simply had it so in that instance, spoiler[Zero's son would have traits from both fathers.].

Natt319 wrote:

There are eight different marriage options in each of the game's two paths and out of those, only one of them is same-sex. Your brother and anyone else who might have an issue with it, can just choose one of the other seven. Simples.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Paulo27 wrote:
I will look even more forward to forcing characters which are probably heterosexual into marrying me because I'm the protagonist of a video game.

They're video game characters, calm down. It's not like a real person is being forced into a marriage against their will. & even then, I'd argue that it is far more common for a homosexual to be forced to enter a heterosexual marriage than the other way around.

Plus there is ONE character you can enter into a gay relationship with and ONE character you can enter into a lesbian relationship with. I really don't understand what you're so angry about?
It's called sarcasm, some people here could take some internet lessons before replying to comments.
And there's no problem, it's perfectly fine, I still think there's way too many people out there crying about gay marriage and such in video games like it's something they are entitled to, just because a game has a marriage option it's not required to have gay characters and it's not "a step in the right direction" for there to be gay characters, that's just Nintendo telling people to shut up about it, thing is, Nintendo never wanted to have gay characters, Japan is pretty conservative that way, especially Nintendo, being gay is also not a choice, it's something you're, same thing for that other game mentioned in the article, what if everyone "born" in this or that video game somehow wasn't gay? There's how many characters here? I count 7 in that picture, I doubt that's all but even if it was 20, 50, 100, none of them being gay is not something that'd make me go "wow, that's so unbelievable, in 100 people surely someone will be gay", no.
Problem is writers are bending over to these pieces of shit Shonen Jump Weekly and all that bullshit that tumblr and the like keep spewing out, who identify themselves as Gundam buildable toys and like to drink bleach because it's apparently a replacement for vaccines, when they really should be telling them to take one in the ass.
But money.

At least it's indeed only one character "oh no, I can't pick the most beautiful girl to be my lesbian wife" I can see their cries already.

Last edited by Paulo27 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Well this is interesting. Big step for Nintendo I guess. Are there incest options? Because it'd be pretty biased to include homosexual couples but not incestual couples.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Natt319 wrote:
incoherent stuff

I honestly don't see the problem with being the starring character being allowed the option of marrying someone of the same gender. Why do you think that's a bad idea? Confused
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I can already see where this thread is likely going to go, so I'm going to step in and remind people the biggest rule to be polite and disagree respectfully. If you're going to come in here and start being offensive, then you're likely going to have your posts edited and removed, and you may become moderated or banned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Natt319 wrote:
incoherent stuff

Is there anything inherently damaging to children about same-sex romantic relationships that opposite-sex relationships don't have?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
And there's no problem, it's perfectly fine, I still think there's way too many people out there crying about gay marriage and such in video games like it's something they are entitled to, just because a game has a marriage option it's not required to have gay characters

I think boycotting games because they don't have gay marriage doesn't make sense but there's no problem in asking a publisher/developed to put in a feature you want. Should we never be allowed to ask for anything ever again? Nintendo saw that people wanted gay marriage in FE, maybe that played a part in why they put it in the game but I don't see why that's a bad thing? It's an optional feature that you can partake in or not.

Paulo27 wrote:
and it's not "a step in the right direction" for there to be gay characters, that's just Nintendo telling people to shut up about it, thing is, Nintendo never wanted to have gay characters, Japan is pretty conservative that way, especially Nintendo,

Nintendo are a worldwide corporation. They adapt to worldwide ideals to maximise their sales potentials. & it isn't just to satisfy gay players of Fire Emblem. Within the circles of Fire Emblem fans, there will be lots of yaoi/yuri fans so it isn't exactly just being put in on an equality standing. It's also being put in to appeal to fujoshi/whatever yuri fans are called who fetishise same gender relationships. & Nintendo don't have to put gay characters in. They CHOSE to. & how do you know they NEVER wanted to have gay characters? They have kept all the spoiler]incest (and moved it up to brother/sister)[/spoiler] in the new game even though many fans complain about it so it isn't like they just do what they're told.

Paulo27 wrote:
being gay is also not a choice, it's something you're, same thing for that other game mentioned in the article, what if everyone "born" in this or that video game somehow wasn't gay? There's how many characters here? I count 7 in that picture, I doubt that's all but even if it was 20, 50, 100, none of them being gay is not something that'd make me go "wow, that's so unbelievable, in 100 people surely someone will be gay", no.

But similarly, if there were a group of seven and ONE of them was gay, I wouldn't be surprised & say "there is no way there would be a gay person in this group of seven" because gay people have to end up in some group at some point. Nintendo have added a single gay character and a single lesbian character to a large cast of characters. They've not said every character is gay, just those two and if you want to marry them and your character is the same gender, you can. This isn't a case of people who care about social justice gone mad, it's a simple optional feature that has made some people happy. & if it doesn't make you happy, don't use the feature.[
Paulo27

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Paulo27 wrote:
And there's no problem, it's perfectly fine, I still think there's way too many people out there crying about gay marriage and such in video games like it's something they are entitled to, just because a game has a marriage option it's not required to have gay characters

I think boycotting games because they don't have gay marriage doesn't make sense but there's no problem in asking a publisher/developed to put in a feature you want. Should we never be allowed to ask for anything ever again? Nintendo saw that people wanted gay marriage in FE, maybe that played a part in why they put it in the game but I don't see why that's a bad thing? It's an optional feature that you can partake in or not.

Paulo27 wrote:
and it's not "a step in the right direction" for there to be gay characters, that's just Nintendo telling people to shut up about it, thing is, Nintendo never wanted to have gay characters, Japan is pretty conservative that way, especially Nintendo,

Nintendo are a worldwide corporation. They adapt to worldwide ideals to maximise their sales potentials. & it isn't just to satisfy gay players of Fire Emblem. Within the circles of Fire Emblem fans, there will be lots of yaoi/yuri fans so it isn't exactly just being put in on an equality standing. It's also being put in to appeal to fujoshi/whatever yuri fans are called who fetishise same gender relationships. & Nintendo don't have to put gay characters in. They CHOSE to. & how do you know they NEVER wanted to have gay characters? They have kept all the spoiler]incest (and moved it up to brother/sister)[/spoiler] in the new game even though many fans complain about it so it isn't like they just do what they're told.

Paulo27 wrote:
being gay is also not a choice, it's something you're, same thing for that other game mentioned in the article, what if everyone "born" in this or that video game somehow wasn't gay? There's how many characters here? I count 7 in that picture, I doubt that's all but even if it was 20, 50, 100, none of them being gay is not something that'd make me go "wow, that's so unbelievable, in 100 people surely someone will be gay", no.

But similarly, if there were a group of seven and ONE of them was gay, I wouldn't be surprised & say "there is no way there would be a gay person in this group of seven" because gay people have to end up in some group at some point. Nintendo have added a single gay character and a single lesbian character to a large cast of characters. They've not said every character is gay, just those two and if you want to marry them and your character is the same gender, you can. This isn't a case of people I disagree with politically gone mad, it's a simple optional feature that has made some people happy. & if it doesn't make you happy, don't use the feature.[

{You have been warned about derailing the thread. Just drop it. ~nobahn}
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

There are eight different marriage options in each of the game's two paths and out of those, only one of them is same-sex. Your brother and anyone else who might have an issue with it, can just choose one of the other seven. Simples.

Actually, there are way more than 8. Like Awakening, I believe it's possible for the main character to marry literally every single person of the opposite gender who joins the party.

The only difference is that instead of having literally every single character be straight, like Awakening, two of the characters are bi this time. And the avatar could be bi (or gay, or straight, there's no specific conversation or toggle, so it's just however you roleplay it based on who you marry.)

I feel like I should say more about this topic, but I already spent hours debating the idea of same sex romances on Serenes Forest (before it was even announced) and so I'm a bit burned out. Maybe I'll copy some of my posts from there over here.
ferrumorum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Past Fire Emblem games have already had implied homosexuality (Lucius/Raven, Ike/Soren, etc.). Having 2 bisexual characters seems totally reasonable especially since the game also has adoptive incest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5