• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Attack on Titan Writer Warns Fans of More Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quote
diefty wrote:
Changing the medium and doing out of your way to make changes like in this movie are completely different things with equally different results. For starters fans of the franchise would enjoy the version they like not a watered down forced translation, it may be the "same shit" but it´s the shit that works well, unlike this version.

A watered down forced translation would be a faithful adaptation to a medium that the show doesn't belong (best example, The Last Airbender movie). Changes would be taking different approaches and actually trying to adapt to the different medium, whether they are good or bad changes. Yes, some fans wouldn't like it only because it's different to the original series they like (which I consider close-minded, but anyway), but most of them and even some of the general public they try to appeal would care just about whether the movie it's just good. And that's a far more respectable and ambitious attitude than doing a half-assed faithful broken version for fans.

Quote:
It´s fine for the author to try approaches with his work but if someone wants creative liberty the should write their own script with 100% liberty. Also im not saying the director should make this movie with a different tittle, im saying this movie shouldnt happen at all, they should either make an animated attack on titan faithfull movie or a completely original movie that isnt similar enough to be accused of a rip-off, they should completely change the essence completely and make an original story not feed from an already popular franchise.

The thing is, discussing about whether a related movie should o not be made is pointless because it's already been approved, so no matter how much we don't like that, it's not going to be changed. The only thing we can expect, now that is going to be made and there's no option, is to at least be good. And they directly say "Don't expect this to be the same, it's different", so okay. I don't even know why we should be so afraid of seeing different versions of the same premise, it can show how much potential it has for different approaches.

Quote:
Finally, Edge of tomorrow was fine but still clearly inferior to the book which was already serious and realistic enought for the translation to be easy, except for the Scifi stuff that a big Hollywood budget could deal with, that was done fine..

I prefer Edge of Tomorrow over All you need is Kill, I thought that book didn't pay off and it was cliche in the wrong ways that aren't fun or interesting, and although EoT also has problems I thought it was way more consistently fun all the way through.
But that's opinion, returning to the point, for a movie based on that and making liberal changes, while it wasn't a big success it did ok enough for Hollywood standards (which says a LOT) and it was very well liked (90% RT, 71 MC, etc.). So yes, they can pay off with the general public, and I respect other movies' attempts to do so. And so far I'm seeing well enough reception of the Titan movie (not much to see though because it hasn't come out to USA yet), we'll see better when it comes out on USA to a bigger audience of course.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
If Hajime Isayama says so, it cannot be helped then.

But still,why did they add a freakin' RPG?
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote
So basically, Levi isn't in the movie because "A foreigner living in Japan? That's unpossible!"
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
So...instead of a westernizing an anime for its live-action adaptation--they're easternizing it instead.

If this was the usual other way around, this thread would already have more than 60 posts at this point slamming any changes to key characters, setting, and plot points...
Laughing
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:
So...instead of a westernizing an anime for its live-action adaptation--they're easternizing it instead.

If this was the usual other way around, this thread would already have more than 60 posts at this point slamming any changes to key characters, setting, and plot points...
Laughing

While it's true that Attack on Titan was designed with a Western setting in mind, in the end, it came from a Japanese mangaka and it was the mangaka himself that called for some of the changes to occur; hence the absence of outrage here. Plus, at least the movie is remaining faithful to the story despite these changes, for the most part.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:

Laughing

It's reverse white washing! Outrage! lol. This doesn't bother people here in the west for the same reason there's no 'white pride' organizations; because white people aren't a minority here.

Now if the person was a foreigner living in Japan and had experienced discrimination growing up, I'd guess the hurt would be more real. Not including Levi doesn't necessarily mean they're removing him just because he's not Japanese though. It's a very, very important plot point in the manga that Mikasa is the last surviving person of Asian descent. spoiler[Asians are immune to brainwashing techniques for some reason; as is Levi and Krista's bloodlines]

I always thought it was kind of funny though that when they want to include foreigners in anime, they have to make them 'part' Japanese. Example; Asuka from Evangelion is 1/4 japanese, 3/4 german. And what's with the Japanese fascination with Germany anyways? The AoT anime/manga has some pretty strong indications that it takes place in Germany. From names & appearances it would seem like pretty much every character has at last some German in them. The only exceptions being possibly Levi, Ymir and Hanji.

TL;DR I don't care that the casting in live action AoT isn't racially accurate because it's a Japanese product and they're trying to distinguish it from the anime/manga, which has a pretty much all European cast. (Even though I'm of German descent and an AoT movie with Germans would be pretty cool).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
If they were made at the order of the creator himself, then the argument of the movie staff "destroying" could get even more criticism. Fans may look at the artistic standpoint more than the creators approving the changes from a business standpoint.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2