• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anonymous Tries to Take Down ISIS with Moe Character

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
It is important to ensure that ISIS doesn't make any combat gains, but this is a good way to expose them as the joke that they are.
blutzauger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
if only it will work..

do they even watch anime? Confused

they don't have to...
for me, the idea behind this is to bombard the interwebs with cute, moe ISIS-chan to the point that whenever someone dared to google the word "ISIS", instead of getting gory pictures flashed on you, they instead get this cute girl...
it's small but effective... i think
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
"The only way to get even with anybody is to ridicule them. So, the only real way I could get even with Hitler and company was to bring them down with laughter." - Mel Brooks

Same reasoning as that one book that turned Adolf Hitler, Kim Il-sung, Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot, and the Assad dynasty into moe fodder. ISIL, the Islamic State, Daesh, whatever their name is, they deserve nothing but scorn and ridicule. This is merely Japan's way of getting even with Daesh. If they cannot use military force, they can use cultural force instead.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:

Yeah, but Hitler had Charlie Chaplin, the Three Stooges, Donald Duck AND Spike Jones going after him, and--in our rebelliously lowbrow Yankee style---in no uncertain terms. Razz

This is just...the Japanese would probably do it anyway. (And make a cellphone game out of it.
It's not like the South Park cartoon where they wondered why Bin Laden never got his own version of "Russian Rhapsody"--Although the Zuckers did come close enough with Saddam and "Hot Shots Pt. Deux".
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Coming Fall season 'My Little Jihadist Couldn't Possibly be This Cute!'

*WHEEZING* Laughing
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
This is officially the stupidest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

This isn't "making ISIS look like a joke" this is just promoting ISIS in the dumbest way possible, by glorifying it, in the most offensive way possible by taking a group of horrible extremists and making them "cute and adorable". It's INCREDIBLY offensive to every single person who has ever been a victim of ISIS, INCREDIBLY offensive to all of the people they've killed and their families, and INCREDIBLY offensive to everyone who has ever been negatively affected by a terrorist group, by sugar-coating it and downplaying it without even saying anything ABOUT it.

In what way is making them cute, appealing, and adorable "making them look like a joke"?

This is just stupid. This doesn't even come close to actually making a statement or even say ANYTHING at all, it's just drawing a dangerous terrorist group as adorable because.....i dunno, just taking that same mentality of combining a cute anime girl with everything to make a gijinka out of it, whether it's making Anime girls as Office Supplies, Operating Systems, Sports Teams, Battleship Models, Fast Food Chains, Months Of The Year, Video Game Consoles, ect.

How is this clever? How is this brilliant? How is this actually doing anything to lessen the acts of ISIS? There's no statement to this. There's no satire here. There's just nothing but drawing a bunch of fanart of something that's incredibly offensive to make fanart out of.

This isn't brilliant, it's not clever, it's not funny, and it's certainly not any semblance of effective or reasonable activism.

This is Anonymous doing what Anonymous does best. Seek attention for themselves.

{Edit: I have edited your post and removed some insults, cursing, and otherwise rude comments. While we do encourage people having their own opinions you need to post them in a civil manner. Your entire post skirts the line of what's accepted here in terms of being civil or not. I chose to edit it rather than outright delete it. Moving forward you need to keep the insults and rude comments out of your posts please. Thank you. Psycho 101}
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
KarmaRocketX wrote:

This is Anonymous doing what Anonymous does best. Seek attention for themselves.

1. You're thinking of 2chan. Which, this was created and endorsed by. Anonymous took the character and used it to swamp ISIS's social media, as a way of mocking them. So, congratulations on the butthurt, mate!

2. For an organization like ISIS, which likes to pose itself as a bunch of serious badasses, to have their sites and social media swamped with "heathen" moe crap, seems like a pretty effective/humorous means of counteracting their macho image (at least in online circles).

Last edited by Eldritcho on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veniamin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
KarmaRocketX wrote:
This is officially the stupidest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

This isn't "making ISIS look like a joke" this is just promoting ISIS in the dumbest way possible, by glorifying it, in the most offensive way possible by taking a group of horrible extremists and making them "cute and adorable". It's INCREDIBLY offensive to every single person who has ever been a victim of ISIS, INCREDIBLY offensive to all of the people they've killed and their families, and INCREDIBLY offensive to everyone who has ever been negatively affected by a terrorist group, by sugar-coating it and downplaying it without even saying anything ABOUT it.

In what way is making them cute, appealing, and adorable "making them look like a joke"?

This is just stupid. This doesn't even come close to actually making a statement or even say ANYTHING at all, it's just drawing a dangerous terrorist group as adorable because.....i dunno, just taking that same mentality of combining a cute anime girl with everything to make a gijinka out of it, whether it's making Anime girls as Office Supplies, Operating Systems, Sports Teams, Battleship Models, Fast Food Chains, Months Of The Year, Video Game Consoles, ect.

How is this clever? How is this brilliant? How is this actually doing anything to lessen the acts of ISIS? There's no statement to this. There's no satire here. There's just nothing but drawing a bunch of fanart of something that's incredibly offensive to make fanart out of.

This isn't brilliant, it's not clever, it's not funny, and it's certainly not any semblance of effective or reasonable activism.

{Edit: I have edited your post and removed some insults, cursing, and otherwise rude comments. While we do encourage people having their own opinions you need to post them in a civil manner. Your entire post skirts the line of what's accepted here in terms of being civil or not. I chose to edit it rather than outright delete it. Moving forward you need to keep the insults and rude comments out of your posts please. Thank you. Psycho 101}

IT IS making them a joke. those two Japanese guys that got beheaded in the beginning of the year? Sure, they mourned the loss but responding with cries of pain only fuels their motive. 2ch and most of the Japanese on the internet responded by mocking/laughing at them. Because I'd rather not let them see me cry and it's the ultimate form of humiliation to them. Hell, I encourage the idea of everyone dressing up like ISIS and parody it with anime content. Flood the google search, hack their accounts and destroy their propaganda/campaign with ridicule and humiliation.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
I think this is an incredibly dangerous and maybe even naive game that Anonymous is playing. I hate to say it, but death and murder aren't taken with nearly as much gravity as they ought to be by young and well-to-do first-worlders. It's easy to put on a brave face and laugh while poking a hornet's nest with a thousand-foot pole, but when you realize the hornet's nest is actually an organization of people who would slice your neck open if they found you, maybe you'd start thinking more practically about how to affect change in the world. Anime fans in particular, being so lost in the fantasy of entertainment, get a bit out of touch with the actual weight of reality.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
I Think the idea kind of simplifies "Isis" I don`t think it`s a good idea, honestly. It`s a cute character but this situation shouldn`t addressed like this.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
I Think the idea kind of simplifies "Isis" I don`t think it`s a good idea, honestly. It`s a cute character but this situation shouldn`t addressed like this.

ISIS, unlike many other terrorist groups based out of the middle east, has decided that a big part of their movement is to be driven by online exposure, through Facebook, blogs, websites and twitter. Aside from reporting these sites (which Anonymous and 4ch/2ch already do, this article fails to mention) this seems like a pretty good way of making them laughingstocks on social media. When their own sites take people to images of moe characters openly mocking them (many of the images have text balloons with commentary), it doesn't really make them seem as macho-baddass as they'd like to look.

ISIS decided to use social media to make itself look cool. These are using social media to make them look foolish.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
And considering the extremist stance ISIS takes, that zettai ryouiki will certainly NOT be okay by most of them, I'd bet.

There was an entire TV show that aired in Iraq that was made to parody ISIS, but I cannot remember what the name of it was (just that it was an Arabic pun where a one-letter difference changed "State of the Caliphate" to "State of Dumbfoundedness" or something like that). It depicted them as a bunch of men with gigantic beards who kill mainly to get attention for themselves without thinking about the consequences of their actions. The TV crew were among the bravest I've ever heard of--because they received death threats, the producer and actors had to drive a different route to work each day.

Whatever the case, it certainly didn't affect ISIS much. Besides the death threats, they just...ignored the show. It was a hit in its own country though.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
I really hope this somehow kicks off World War 3. I'd love for future generations to learn that a moe girl caused what would surely be the biggest war the world has ever known.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
When Anonymous is actually hacking the twitter accounts of ISIS, then I might be interested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ranashadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
Its a strange idea but it kinda works. They want people to fear ISIS through propaganda, edited footage, beheading, 'cleansing' of non-believers but I suppose if all the people see is ISIS-Chan it could just turn them into a cute little fan club and people will think nothing else lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3