• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prosecutors Detail Alleged Threats Against Pokémon World Championships

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daoutlaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Never thought I'd ever see Realtree Camo on Anime News Network of all places. Where I live, almost everyone but me wears it! It's pretty redneck (it's supposed to be for hunting), and I would never think anyone in BOSTON would wear it. That city's about as Yankee as it gets!

these two knuckleheads drove up to Boston from Iowa, so yeah they're pretty damn redneck-y.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
All this over getting banned from a forum? I guess they're unable to learn a thing about their own behavior.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
so what happened? Did they get their butts handed to them during a match with a 10 year old and decided that the best way of avoiding another embarrassment was to shoot up the place?
CrimsonTopaz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote
Looks like these two fella's don't know the meaning of the words 'its just a game'....either that or they have some serious issues with themselves...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
so what happened? Did they get their butts handed to them during a match with a 10 year old and decided that the best way of avoiding another embarrassment was to shoot up the place?

No, one of them was banned from a Pokémon forum and got in an online verbal altercation with an authority figure from there. Things then escalated and it led to this.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:06 am Reply with quote
So I'm the only one who saw this?

DarioITA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
Bloodgod wrote:
Putting all the other obvious issues aside, what 27 year old hangs out with a teenager? Are they related or something?

That's not a problem, the only problem I see about this story is both they just have the shit in their brains.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:33 am Reply with quote
I am hoping that both serve at least 10 years in prison because I find that length to be at least a minimally decent length for violent crime or attempted violent crime.
Halko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I am hoping that both serve at least 10 years in prison because I find that length to be at least a minimally decent length for violent crime or attempted violent crime.

Except if you read the article fully it states they did not possess the weapons when they were barred entry into the center. Its likely its just internet not-so-nice-people being internet not-so-nice-people and posting stupid shit on the internet and doing dumb things like bringing weapons to states with strict gun laws. Nowhere was an attack attempted.

Making stupid threats even as a joke is a really dumb idea but before we hang people we really need to actually look at the situation before we knee jerk and pull out the rope.

I really feel for people that get stuck in the circlejerk of the modern news media though. FOX news makes some headline like "CRAZY MASS MURDER ATTEMPT AVERTED" and everyone laps it up and demands blood. At least this site seems to be taking it closer to the actual news. Alleged threats is much better fit than the crazy hyperbole many are using for this.
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
DarioITA wrote:
Bloodgod wrote:
Putting all the other obvious issues aside, what 27 year old hangs out with a teenager? Are they related or something?

That's not a problem, the only problem I see about this story is both they just have the shit in their brains.

Judging by the responses my comment got in this thread, maybe it's just me then. But after I got to certain age, I wanted nothing to do with people that much younger than me.

It's like you look back on all the stupid shit you did when you were that old, and see that they and their friends still do that shit. I'm past that. I don't want to do that stuff again.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
Has there ever been a more appropriate name for a guy that looks like that than "Stumbo?"
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
@Halko Did you read the article? They made specific threats against somebody who was at the Pokemon Championships plus the fact that they have those weapons with them and had a bunch of ammo that was way more than those guns needed points to intent to commit a crime.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
Except if you read the article fully it states they did not possess the weapons when they were barred entry into the center. Its likely its just internet not-so-nice-people being internet not-so-nice-people and posting stupid shit on the internet and doing dumb things like bringing weapons to states with strict gun laws. Nowhere was an attack attempted.

Making stupid threats even as a joke is a really dumb idea but before we hang people we really need to actually look at the situation before we knee jerk and pull out the rope.

I really feel for people that get stuck in the circlejerk of the modern news media though. FOX news makes some headline like "CRAZY MASS MURDER ATTEMPT AVERTED" and everyone laps it up and demands blood. At least this site seems to be taking it closer to the actual news. Alleged threats is much better fit than the crazy hyperbole many are using for this.

Makes one think you didn't even read the article. Why would they need to transport several hundred rounds of ammunition in the trunk of their car, to visit a Pokemon World Championship.

Too many times people ignore the threats made, and are aghast when their friends make true on their promises. These idiots were extremely blatant in their threats and the social media posturing. That they actually brought their weapons and tons of ammo to Boston is the most damning evidence against them and helps prove their intent was more than stupid threat posturing.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Despite that it's pretty clear to me this incident was meant to scare, kill, and/or get attention, not for laughs, there are people who really don't know where the line is between a joke and a criminal act. Or attempt to use it as an excuse to justify themselves.

Below is such a case: A school bus driver apparently runs over people's pets for laughs and continues to insist it's a joke after police got on his back.

tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if these two geniuses actually were a serious threat, but it is good to see a couple of idiots get in real trouble for dumbass comments they made on the internet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3