• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Will Offer New PS Vita Colors in Japan; 1 New Color in N. America

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

VITA means life-- eh.. it's doing worst than the PSP

Might have something to do with the lack of support and anti piracy /homebrew features.

Greed1914 wrote:

I'm also a Vita owner, and I don't think the problem is that there is a general "lack of games" as I keep seeing people mention. The problem, as I see it, is more that what is offered, while quite good, doesn't necessarily appeal to a lot of people. There aren't really any western developers paying the system much mind, and that means relying on Japanese developers who are naturally going to make games for a Japanese audience.

Which is strange since like 90% of those games aren't going to make it stateside anyhow.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

VITA means life-- eh.. it's doing worst than the PSP

Might have something to do with the lack of support and anti piracy /homebrew features.

1- lack of game support from third party publishers
2- pricey system and memory cards

those are the two main reasons..

if the system is around $130 or $150 with a lot of games and the memory cards are cheaper then they can sell a lot more..
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Those 50 million in sales for the PSP wasn't simply because people liked the idea of playing handheld GTA, Star Wars Battlefront, & the first two Persona games.

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

2- pricey system

And? people tend to forget that the PSVita was essentially the same price as the 3DS when it launched and while both have dropped in price since they can still be considered to be pricey so it seems a bit unfair to single the system out for this.

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
and memory cards

While this is a legitimate complaint it's something you won't have to worry too much about unless you intend on downloading nothing but digital games......or unless you're one of those people who ironically complain about things being too expensive but partake in a medium that's known for being a money sink.

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

if the system is around $130 or $150 with a lot of games and the memory cards are cheaper then they can sell a lot more..

With the system being on the market for almost 4 years at this point and with it being pretty much dead in the water in the west that seems highly doubtful even more so given that the PSTV is essentially a cheaper version of the Vita.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Are you serious? The Vita is pretty much 90%+ third party publishers. There are tons of games coming out. The system isn't any pricier than the 3DS so I don't know where that misconception is coming from. If the proprietary memory cards keep the Vita piracy free, I'm all for it. Look at the 3DS, it uses standard SD cards and it's constantly being hacked/pirated.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Those 50 million in sales for the PSP wasn't simply because people liked the idea of playing handheld GTA, Star Wars Battlefront, & the first two Persona games.

The PSP came at an opportune time - regular people also used it as a portable media player for listening music and watching videos, before the prevalence of 5th-gen iPods and smartphones.

Many regular PSP people didn't go on to purchase the successor PS Vita. They left it behind in lieu of other devices that could do what they need.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Are you serious? The Vita is pretty much 90%+ third party publishers. There are tons of games coming out. The system isn't any pricier than the 3DS so I don't know where that misconception is coming from. If the proprietary memory cards keep the Vita piracy free, I'm all for it. Look at the 3DS, it uses standard SD cards and it's constantly being hacked/pirated.

first to be clear.. i'm speaking mainly about the NA region..

check the list of up coming PS Vita.. and see how many games are coming out for it

"tons of games coming out"

take out the indies and digital only.. how many you have left?

i agree with you about proprietary memory cards and support sony in the fight against piracy..

but what's wrong with reducing the price of the memory cards so it's more affordable to gamers?

too many gamers going out and buy 32GB or 64GB sony proprietary memory card to store games they bought from the PS store?.. is that a bad thing?

comparing to the 3DS.. psvita is not doing so well in the states

why can't they take a hint like microsoft with their Xbox One.. when their system didn't do so well against the PS4.. they took measures to make their system more appealing..

1- throwing away the useless kinect (thus lowering the price down to PS4 price $400)-- increase the HDD, lower the price.. add BC, Beta, etc..

i saw an ad a few weeks ago.. Xbox one for $350.. that's $50 less than the PS4 .

so sony should take a hint....but looks like they don't really care for the Vita anymore.. at least for the NA region..

to some it's a $200 paperweight

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

The PSP came at an opportune time - regular people also used it as a portable media player for listening music and watching videos, before the prevalence of 5th-gen iPods and smartphones.

Many regular PSP people didn't go on to purchase the successor PS Vita. They left it behind in lieu of other devices that could do what they need.

psp? i was talking about the PS VITA.... i think the psp sold about 80+ million systems..

there's a reason why sony doesn't brag out their PS Vita sold # like the PS4 sold #

in my opinion.. PSVITA didn't do so well

1- lack of third party support
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

why can't they take a hint like microsoft with their Xbox One.. when their system didn't do so well against the PS4.. they took measures to make their system more appealing..

Doesn't seem to have taken too well considering it's sitting around the same lifetime sales as the WiiU.

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

psp? i was talking about the PS VITA....

I was contrasting/hinting at one of the key differences between both systems and how that led to success for the PSP and the presumed failure for the Vita in the same regard.

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

there's a reason why sony doesn't brag out their PS Vita sold # like the PS4 sold #

Besides them historically bragging more about their consoles than their handhelds?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Doesn't seem to have taken too well considering it's sitting around the same lifetime sales as the WiiU.

The Wii-U launched a year earlier; XB1 already passed it awhile ago; the rate for XB1 is increasing than that for the Wii-U:

razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
"tons of games coming out"

take out the indies and digital only.. how many you have left?

to some it's a $200 paperweight

Tons of games, absolutely. I have been doing nothing but buying Vita games thanks to the efforts by NISA, IFI, KT, Bamco, XSEED, Atlus, etc. There are plenty of new Vita games on the horizon and plenty released in the last few months. I don't know why you're excluding games in your list, is there a reason digital only doesn't count as an exclusive game to you?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/releases/region-1

It's most certainly a $200 paperweight if you ignore all the exclusives for it, sure.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

The Wii-U launched a year earlier; XB1 already passed it awhile ago; the rate for XB1 is increasing than that for the Wii-U:

Damn they sold 4 million extra systems when I wasn't looking.
Lovely

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
It's honestly shocking to me that the posters on this site for ANIME are claiming the system that is getting the largest amount of Japanese localized games/ niche titles has "no games."

I just... I can't... I have no words.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2