• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Sept 9-15

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masajus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why Soma went down in overall pool? This series sunk like the ship all this season, and I don't understand why. For my it is most enjoyable show from all the series this season, i rewached it like 4 times already and planing marathon it one more time and continue with manga(3 times finisher reading it) from anime ending point. So Why?

p.s. sorry for bad writing:)
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
bastek66 wrote:
Gakkou Gurashi is too high. Adaptation is terrible, and even if it was counted as standalone it's still boring and disappointing. Damned dog ruined everything.

Does it really matter? The show is a flop and will be forgotten once the season is done
Valkyrienight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm questioning exactly what the reviewers are actually looking for in shows. If Charlotte, which has turned into an absolute train wreck, is ranked above a lot of other shows which are actually decent, I'm sorry to say that these rankings are highly suspect.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
#844870 wrote:
I'm questioning exactly what the reviewers are actually looking for in shows. If Charlotte, which has turned into an absolute train wreck, is ranked above a lot of other shows which are actually decent, I'm sorry to say that these rankings are highly suspect.

These are the user's ratings, not the reviewer's.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:

Does it really matter? The show is a flop and will be forgotten once the season is done

If you're basing that on Amazon.co.jp preorders, then be aware that that number is fairly deceptive, because Amazon is offering a special Limited Edition for the first Gakkou Gurashi BluRay, so the show's first-day and first-week sales are actually split among multiple Stalker entries.

If you combine the ASIN# B01146WATM with the ASIN# B0116GNWUG release, and then combine that with the predictions for the two DVD versions, then we're actually looking at a prediction of about 3000 copies on the first day, of the first volume.

It's not exactly a blockbuster, but it's certainly not a "flop" for a late-night series. Shows have sold FAR less and gotten second seasons.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
Snow white ended up being my favorite of the season, followed by Rokka Smile

I've kept watching Charlotte, Food Wars, Gangsta, Rampo Kitan, and Monster Musume, but none of those kept me truly enthralled.

Really looking forward to the next season - I feel like I've got some anime blahs over here, haha.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
My personal favorite this season is Baby Steps (S2). It may not have a spot here, but damn is it good!
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:05 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
snip

I love how you say Amazon numbers are deceptive and yet use them anyways Rolling Eyes

All those versions are doing poorly and the show isn't ranking in store front retailers as well, it's a flop. Also rechecked the numbers and its sitting at 2.8k which is not good in any aspects.

Quote:
It's not exactly a blockbuster, but it's certainly not a "flop" for a late-night series. Shows have sold FAR less and gotten second seasons.

You're just delusional also anime with poor sales get second seasons if they're planned in advance before sales get in (splits) or if they're funded by a station (NHK) very rarely if not at all do you see anime with poor sales get second seasons.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
snip

I love how you say Amazon numbers are deceptive and yet use them anyways Rolling Eyes

All those versions are doing poorly and the show isn't ranking in store front retailers as well, it's a flop. Also rechecked the numbers and its sitting at 2.8k which is not good in any aspects.

Quote:

You're just delusional also anime with poor sales get second seasons if they're planned in advance before sales get in (splits) or if they're funded by a station (NHK) very rarely if not at all do you see anime with poor sales get second seasons.
I'm going to say that applies for a certain type of show, but not every anime is made with the intent of selling blurays or dvds. Many are made to sell merchandise, or boost manga sales. Obviously something related to the anime has to sell, but given how outrageous anime blurays and dvds are priced, only the super otaku centric shows rely on those sales. Though since you're talking about a late night show, this is probably not relevant in this case
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:

I called them "deceptive" because there are multiple versions of both the BluRay and the DVD, and people are only counting one of each when they calculate the projections, which brings the numbers down significantly. Deceptive doesn't mean "incorrect" or "unusable", though. There's no need to throw away something just because it's a bit difficult to analyze (think of what would happen to Ikuhara's career if we did).

Also, at no point did I ever suggest Gakkou Gurashi will, or even should, get a second season. The show is heading towards a pretty conclusive finale, and the next arc is so drastically different from the material covered by the anime that it might as well have a different title. The manga, by the way, is doing very well, with a 1000% increase in Volume 1 sales at the beginning of July. It doesn't look like it will end any time soon, either; not as long as Manga Time Kirara continues to sell like hotcakes in Japan.

I hope it will do better than 2800 in the first week, because I happen to be a huge fan of the manga, and because it's always a shame when well-received shows have poor sales. I'm sure a lot of people will be happy if the series gets another season, and I'm sure a lot of people could care less. That's just the way anime works, though.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
I'm finding the comments to be even more interesting than the ranking itself. Such as high-ranked show X "should" be lower, or low-ranked show Y "should" be higher... it's common wisdom that there's no accounting for taste, but the comments here really drive home just how wildly different tastes can be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
Wow look at Charlotte's fall from grace. All it took was a dumb episode 11.
bastek66

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
AnimeAngel327 wrote:
Glad to see Monster Musume going up! So i'm happy.

Best Anime's of the Season are:
-God Eater
-Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan

HOW? They terrible. So boring that barely watchable. GE at least has good animation but Kuusen has nothing.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
My favorite this season would be Ushio & Tora, although its partially by default, since nothing else this season really caught my attention (ongoings don't count!)

Charlotte sounds pretty bad, so not surprised it dropped.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why "ongoings don't count." If a show that started last season and continued to this season turns out to be the best show this season, it should count. That's how I feel about My Love Story--it's been my favorite anime two seasons in a row, and will probably be my favorite of the year.

Every other show I saw this season has been wholly underwhelming, and I'm honestly behind on all of them. Seiyuu's Life deserves more attention, though. Considering how well received Shirobako was, I'm surprised that such a similar show has flown so low under the radar despite being not quite as good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3