• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: When Marnie Was There, Boy and the Beast, Laws of the Universe Submitted For Animated Feature

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Movies have until the end of the year to do their required one-week commercial theater run to be eligible.

And no, they can't be submitted again next year - the yearly Oscars pertains to the year a film is released.

But non-American movies can get submitted the year after their release... Marnie is from 2014.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

But yeah, Boy & the Beast should at least be nominated. I cringed when I saw Wolf Children get the shaft a couple years ago, a far better film than any of the Best Picture nods that year.

Wolf Children certainly deserved a nomination (it's by far Hosoda's best film), but I'm not sure The Boy and the Beast does -- it's not nearly as strong a film. Marnie, on the other hand, deserves to get nominated, and actually has a chance to be seeing as it has the "last Ghibli movie" label. Inside Out is an absolute shoe-in for the award, though.

Meanwhile the other movie in question is literally a religious propaganda film for a cult.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen a bigger travesty then this in all my life, What about the Oscars, I stand corrected. The Simpsons Laughing
TG72

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
Marnie is probably a safe bet to make the cut. I hope Boy and the Beast also gets a nom so a bigger audience can discover Hosoda. The dark horse here could be The Prophet (Salma Hayek project with several directors involved for the different sequences). As much as I'd love for an anime to win, Inside Out is really creative and has a lot of heart.

Last edited by TG72 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
I think another "western" (as in British) animated movie that at least stands a chance of being nominated is Aardman's Shaun the Sheep, which I thought was fantastic. I know it's a foregone conclusion that Inside Out will win, but it would be a shame if Shaun the Sheep got overlooked for nomination.

(Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but The Good Dinosaur looks like second-tier Pixar so I doubt there will be much pro-Pixar vote-splitting although it'll probably at least garner a nomination.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Movies have until the end of the year to do their required one-week commercial theater run to be eligible.

And no, they can't be submitted again next year - the yearly Oscars pertains to the year a film is released.

But non-American movies can get submitted the year after their release... Marnie is from 2014.

Yeah, for Best Animated, a foreign film is given a 2-year grace period for its domestic release, though which year the domestic release occurs --whether Year 1 or Year 2-- determines which Oscars year it qualifies for.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
Forget it, Inside Out is going to win. Best Animated Film in the Oscars really means whatever Disney movie is out that year. And after reading this, I don't take their opinions on animation seriously anymore.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, here's a potential Best Animated Feature nominee that I wasn't even aware of, Anomalisa, an R-rated stop-motion film from Being John Malkovitch scribe Charlie Kaufman.

It sneaks in just before the deadline with a limited release on December 30th with a wider release in 2-16.

EDIT: I see it's on the list but I honestly didn't know what it was until I saw the trailer. Looks interesting although a little uncanny-valley-ish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

Forget it, Inside Out is going to win. Best Animated Film in the Oscars really means whatever Disney movie is out that year. And after reading this, I don't take their opinions on animation seriously anymore.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html

Not that I totally disagree with Amid Amidi, but there's a few things ya have to keep in mind:

First, 7 people is not a poll make. Just because Hollywood Reporter interviewed 7 animated people does not make it a poll. And Hollywood Reporter doesn't say it's a poll - they're merely showing the brutal honesty of some voters. So who can say how many watched how ever many of the entries? We certainly can't make the jump from 7 to "most."

Second, those who admitted not watching all the animated entries ended up abstaining - which is what they should do. Those who made picks didn't clearly say how many of the entries they watched. So who knows?

Lastly, just be careful using Amid Amidi's editorials. For years, he's been known to be a controversial figure in animation circles. Among some of the stuff he's known for (I was in that forum with him):

• One of his methods has been to create controversy. At times shamelessly.

There are so many instances of such absolute nonsense coming from this person that I won't even bother getting into it. Amidi has created such a reputation for himself that it goes without saying if there's some sort of sensationalist gossip going about you can pretty much bet it comes from his direction. To say nothing of the over opinionated vitriol, bigotry, immaturity and just plain stupidity that has become his trademark.

On the old forums I wrote a commentary about who critiques the critics. I think that animation artists have every right, indeed a moral obligation to voice their opinions about some of these sanctimonious personalities whose contributions to the community include the ugliness they've spewed for years and years making a career out of their bitterness and hatred. Individuals who are not artists and who've done a magnificent job at furthering disunity in our community and turning animation centric editorial commentary into a farce.
Xacur

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
The date says 2015 instead of 2016.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

That was seven opinions out of hundreds. I can't anyone who reposts that garbage seriously because they don't know how the voting process works for the Academy Awards, and they also didn't bother to see that many people abstained.

Stop referring to that, please. Just stop. Bringing it up makes you look dumb. And for anyone else who reposts that in future Oscar threads, please drop a heavy weight on your foot because you add nothing to the conversation.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Stop referring to that, please. Just stop. Bringing it up makes you look dumb. And for anyone else who reposts that in future Oscar threads, please drop a heavy weight on your foot because you add nothing to the conversation.

Okay then. I wasn't aware that it was an unreliable source. What I don't appreciate however is you saying that it makes me look dumb. I simply wasn't aware that it wasn't a good source and accept the fact that I was wrong. You don't have to resort to insults.

That being said, the Oscars clearly are biased when it comes to animation and they almost always go to the major Disney films. Take last year for example. Princess Kaguya was one of the best reviewed movies of 2014, yet the award went to Big Hero 6. While I liked Big Hero 6 and found it to be one of Disney's better films, Kaguya not receiving that award made no sense considering the sheer amount of praise it received which was even more than Big Hero 6.

I could cite more examples, but I really don't think the Oscars care about animation as much as the other categories. That's just my opinion, anyway.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Honestly? I don't think Kaguya even deserved a nomination. Sure, it was pretty, but it was also boring as hell. I just about fell asleep a third of the way into it.

Song of the Sea, on the other hand... well, it wasn't as good as Secret of Kells, but both of them should have won the years they were nominated.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Honestly? I don't think Kaguya even deserved a nomination. Sure, it was pretty, but it was also boring as hell. I just about fell asleep a third of the way into it.

Song of the Sea, on the other hand... well, it wasn't as good as Secret of Kells, but both of them should have won the years they were nominated.

While your own opinion about Kaguya is a good thing to have, it's definitely in the minority - it was was one of the very best reviewed movies of the entire year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2