• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony to Stop Selling Betamax Video Cassette Tapes in March

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
To paraphrase Chris Rock

They Still Made You Razz
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

I can't even find a damn VHS tape to record shows (yeah I know people DVR now). And if you find one it's at least $7 for ONE tape.

I don't know if you have Value Village/Savers (same chain, 2 different names) thrift stores where you are, but in Ottawa I quite often see sealed 3-packs of VHS tapes in baggies for $2 or $3 in the electronics section.

I haven't needed to record anything to VHS in years but it's nice to know that, if I decide I want to, there's still that option. (Well, if the tapes work, I mean. I don't know how old those tapes are; even unopened, they deteriorate over time.)

Last edited by Tenchi on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
It was bound to happen any year now. It was a good run. Thanks for helping to change the game.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
I hardly know what a betamax is if I'm honest.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
Certain countries will be technologically behind other countries, even more developed countries like Japan compared to the US. Although I never thought that Sony was still making these.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote
For maximum nerd cred, watch the betamax episode of Bebop on an actual Betamax.

You're gonna carry that weight, because beta players are heavy.

https://youtu.be/BdPpRnzO9Aw
digritz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

At last my plans are realized. I will rule the world through my Betamax collection.......as soon as I eliminate all the other wood be usurpers to my throne. MUHAHAHAHAHA
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea Sony was still selling Betamax videotapes... Confused
Well, thanks to the modern era of the DVD and Blu-Ray discs, the VHS tapes have seen the last of their days. It was a fun ride while it lasted.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Yadilie wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Whoa, Betamax video cassette tapes were still be produced?
Are you serious?
I can't even find a damn VHS tape to record shows (yeah I know people DVR now). And if you find one it's at least $7 for ONE tape. Walk into any video/radio shop and ask, do you sell VHS tapes and see what they tell you while giving you the, "you're joking right?" look.

The Super Target I work at sells VHS 3 packs still.

I better find a place quick just to get some. Or order online. Thanks for the info. Wink
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I guess that means Betamax purists, whatever few of them there are, will have to turn to private, small services that can produce Betamax tapes. Or Sony will license out permission to make Betamax tapes to small businesses.

And yeah, Betamax continued to see a lot of use on the filmmaking side of the business long after VHS took off and even long after VHS fell out of use, due to their comparatively high-quality, high-resolution output. I guess with Sony phasing out Betamax, it means the industry's found something better (and I'd bet my head that Sony's also making that, whatever it is).

It kind of reminds me of those cel purists among animation circles who decry digital animation. It's exceedingly difficult to find cel manufacturers nowadays, and when you do find one, it's expensive.

Chrno2 wrote:
Whoa, Betamax video cassette tapes were still be produced?
Are you serious?
I can't even find a damn VHS tape to record shows (yeah I know people DVR now). And if you find one it's at least $7 for ONE tape. Walk into any video/radio shop and ask, do you sell VHS tapes and see what they tell you while giving you the, "you're joking right?" look.

First-hand experience tells me that donation center stores are a good source for videotapes, either blank or home movies (and thus can be recorded over). There are a lot of households with whole boxes of blank tapes that are simply taking up space. Or you can find some at garage sales. Such a household would be glad to sell them to someone who actually wants some.

Some donation centers reject blank video tapes though, and most will not sell video tapes with home recordings (as they'd be selling pirated material, which is illegal).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2