• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: In Memoriam [2016-01-01]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Thank you all for contributing to the industry with their awesome talent, you all will be missed... R.I.P.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
I usually forget about these lists but once they're pulled together it's telling how many great people of talent we lose each year.

They're accomplishments will never be forgotten. We thank you for all the hard work and impacts you made on our lives. May other's continue to be inspired by your legacies.

R.I.P. too all we've come to know and love.
marek1712

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Since many non-Japanese people related to anime were included, don't forget about Olga Yakovleva, otherwise known as ORIGA.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
marek1712 wrote:
...don't forget about Olga Yakovleva, otherwise known as ORIGA.

She's in the list.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Watching AGDQ run right now, and seeing that "Iwata" is one of the names being bid on for the Oracle of Ages filename, I'm reminded of the wonderful tribute that they did at SGDQ last year.

For those who don't know, Awesome Games Done Quick (January) and Summer Games Done Quick (usually August, IIRC), are speedrun marathons that raise money for charity. AGDQ is usually always a cancer-related charity, and SGDQ changes charities each year.

Other than straight donations, they also have incentives and bid wars. With incentives, people have to donate a certain amount to require the runners to do something (usually an optional quest that isn't required for completion of the speedrun category). Bid Wars are where people can bid for one of two or more options, with the highest bid winning. These are usually either for filenames, character names, or, most famously, "save/kill the animals" in Super Metroid.

Last year's SGDQ was about a month after Iwata's passing. Chrono Trigger was one of the games played. I'm not sure if there was an incentive or just if the players decided to do it on their own, but the bidwar named Chrono "Iwata" and they did the sidequest to bring Chrono back. Incredibly fitting and moving.
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
RIP to all those that passed away in 2015. You will be missed. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2