• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3rd Season of Sailor Moon Crystal's Spring Premiere, New Staff Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
MavenRaven wrote:
Writing wise, the adaptation was really faithful to the manga, which doesn't have the best writing. And I'm saying that as a huge Sailor Moon fan, someone who owns multiple releases of the manga series from both Tokyopop and Kodansha.

Only for Black Moon it was...

Dark Kingdom had changes which were not handled well in the end (see Act 12).

Last edited by NJ_ on Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
MavenRaven wrote:
Writing wise, the adaptation was really faithful to the manga, which doesn't have the best writing. And I'm saying that as a huge Sailor Moon fan, someone who owns multiple releases of the manga series from both Tokyopop and Kodansha.

You're of few people who understands this, even the author admitted it to having bad storytelling.

Animation/art has its peaking moments even in the previous arcs, so to enjoy it, keep your heart sensitive to romance.

Jan 27 is a Wednesday, and a visual this coming Saturday. Finally, some news come.

I have to restrain myself.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it will remain as histerically horrible and entertainingly bad as the first season was, because based on what the "faithful" adaptation of the story gave us in S1, if it's done "right" it'll be mediocre at best (see Act 22 or 23, beautifully drawn and animated, terrible writing). I'm quite looking forward to this for hatewatch purposes

Last edited by CrowLia on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, any staff shakeup can only be good for the production at this point.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I know how this will go, but I'm hoping Crystal will at least be watchable this season. This is my favorite arc and (in my opinion) where SM gets interesting so hopefully the writer will have more to work with along with the rest of the team.

Question: did some of the previous workers get fired or did they just leave? Is it ever revealed in this type of industry?
RofflesLowell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
.... I really thought Crystal has been excellent so far and I'm glad to hear they're making more of it. I loved the original series when I watched it as a girl in the 90s, and now that I'm a grown-ass woman, I appreciate the all killer no filler focus on our heroine and her sig other, having relatable emotions and acting like a real couple of human beings. As for the expanded role of the Shittenou? I thought it was great. I thought it was intriguing in Sailor Moon: Another Story and I thought it was a satisfying story element here. I can see how fans of the girl-power stuff would be upset to see all the complimentarian gender theory on display, but c'mon. The original series is still here for us. In fact it's more readily available than it's ever been in North America; you can enjoy afresh it at any time. (Provided you don't actually want to revisit the DiC dub, but that's a gripe for another time.)

I can't wait to see how SMS gets the SMC treatment. I'm sure plenty of superfans will still tear their hair over the exclusion of cherished bits of fanservice from unadapted filler episodes, but c'mon.
I'd rather spend a tiny bit of time with the senshi and see something meaningful happen with them (example: Act 17) than wade through 50 or so filler eps reiterating what a brat Chibiusa is, how bossy Rei is, and so on.

I'm predicting an avalanche of salt from outers fans who will cry foul if/when HarukaxMichiru loses screen time in favor of character development for Usagi. Me, I can't wait to see what the creative team does w/them. I think it'll be good, whatever the superfans make of it. Can't wait!!!
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately Yuji Kobayashi is still on the writing team, and since giving personalities to characters doesn't seem to be his strong suit, I have no high hopes other than the animation be improved, and I HOPE TO GOD they bring back Megumi Ogata and Masako Katsuki, or have other VAs that can sound just like them.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Unfortunately Yuji Kobayashi is still on the writing team, and since giving personalities to characters doesn't seem to be his strong suit

It's ok he can always give the outers boyfriends to give them more personality and character development... >.> Still salty...

JacobYBM wrote:

Out-sourcing is typically done more so due to a lack of time and animators and not so much money. A single episode of the first season probably cost no less than the usual $90,000-110,000 for low-level series.

Time? In the case of other series perhaps but in SMC it's just a BS excuse. They were releasing episodes every 2-3 weeks... that's double or triple the time of a normal anime production. It's Toei; cheap badly animated cash ins on their big IPS has been their thing for a couple years now. (Aside from SMC, see Dragonball Super & Saint Seiya Omega)

RofflesLowell wrote:
I'm predicting an avalanche of salt from outers fans who will cry foul if/when HarukaxMichiru loses screen time in favor of character development for Usagi.

Oh it'll be when... not if. That's why I checked out of SMC Usagi & Mamoru are the most boring characters I'd much rather have a focus on unique characters like Haruka and Michiru, as well as Saturn and Pluto instead of generic shoujo romance#42338 mirakuru romansu junk. Realistically given the manga I expect this one to be 100% focused on Chibi-Usa.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The new season will assemble all 10 Senshi — specifically, the popular outer Senshi such as Sailor Uranus, Sailor Neptune, and Sailor Saturn will join Sailor Moon, Sailor Chibi Moon, and the others.
This actually isn't all the Outer Sailor Soldiers. There's still the Sailor Starlights and if the Dream Arc continues to follow the manga faithfully, this time we'll be seeing the Sailor Quartet too.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
It's Toei; cheap badly animated cash ins on their big IPS has been their thing for a couple years now. (Aside from SMC, see Dragonball Super & Saint Seiya Omega)

Also One Piece & Saint Seiya Soul of Gold.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
RofflesLowell wrote:

I'm predicting an avalanche of salt from outers fans who will cry foul if/when HarukaxMichiru loses screen time in favor of character development for Usagi.

^^; No predictions needed here; I read through the original Infinity arc and...well. I much prefer the anime's take on Haruka and Michiru.

Mostly because the manga has a whole boatload of ambiguities as to whether all parties concerned (Usagi, Mamoru, Michiru, and Haruka) are aware of and consenting to what appears to be a poly relationship, or if Haruka (and possibly Michiru) are just playing into the awful "I am a lesbian, thus I must prey on innocent girls who may or may not be questioning their sexuality, muahahaha" stereotype.

Buuuut, aside from that, I am looking forward to a possible Saturn transformation sequence and seeing the anime clear up certain bits that were vague or unclear in the manga, like when spoiler[Saturn may or may not have ended the world so it could be recreated by Sailor Moon.]
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm super pumped~! I recently re-watched SMC with my friend and having it binged it a second time, it was even better!

Looking forward to Saturn. If she's actually a freaking cyborg this time, Crystal will have won me over. I loved the Infinity arc in the 90s version, but screw that mess and some of the other changes that pissed me off. Looking back, I hate the things they changed, but the quality of the filler makes up for that. (The only season I can say that for, sadly.)

Most looking forward to Kaolinite and W5's handling though. ♥
Fun as they were in Classic, they deserve to be characters of their own instead of Tomoe's lovesick lackeys. (One problem Classic had was making every female character except our lesbians obsessed with dudes.)

Hopefully W5 will be like they were in the new musical. That would fantastic! ♥u♥

Also super happy to have a female director~. ♥ ^u^
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
bastek66 wrote:
Chiaki Kon? She probably manage to make it even worse
After Umineko, was thinking the same thing.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
RofflesLowell wrote:
.... I really thought Crystal has been excellent so far and I'm glad to hear they're making more of it. I loved the original series when I watched it as a girl in the 90s, and now that I'm a grown-ass woman, I appreciate the all killer no filler focus on our heroine and her sig other, having relatable emotions and acting like a real couple of human beings. As for the expanded role of the Shittenou? I thought it was great. I thought it was intriguing in Sailor Moon: Another Story and I thought it was a satisfying story element here. I can see how fans of the girl-power stuff would be upset to see all the complimentarian gender theory on display, but c'mon. The original series is still here for us. In fact it's more readily available than it's ever been in North America; you can enjoy afresh it at any time. (Provided you don't actually want to revisit the DiC dub, but that's a gripe for another time.)

I can't wait to see how SMS gets the SMC treatment. I'm sure plenty of superfans will still tear their hair over the exclusion of cherished bits of fanservice from unadapted filler episodes, but c'mon.
I'd rather spend a tiny bit of time with the senshi and see something meaningful happen with them (example: Act 17) than wade through 50 or so filler eps reiterating what a brat Chibiusa is, how bossy Rei is, and so on.

I'm predicting an avalanche of salt from outers fans who will cry foul if/when HarukaxMichiru loses screen time in favor of character development for Usagi. Me, I can't wait to see what the creative team does w/them. I think it'll be good, whatever the superfans make of it. Can't wait!!!

Agreed entirely~! And as someone who yearns for more than 90s girl power, I super appreciate SMC. At least with the BM arc especially, it tackled more relatable and realistic stuff. (Like Usagi getting victim blamed and smacking that mess down real quick.)

I still haven't watched the new dub (or the sub version), but yeah, it's nice that almost literally every BSSM fan has something right now. If you don't like Crystal, that's okay! You still have Classic. (And the Myu group has something too!)

Honestly, HaruMichi was the best and worst part of Classic for me, so I can't wait to see how this goes!
(I side-eye some of their treatmeant as ~the lesbians~ because, okay Ikuhara -eyeroll-, but I also appreciate how canon they tried to make it and how cute they could be.)
Also, we won't have that unnecessary ass shot of Uranus this time, and I am all for that. For some reason, that short moment still bothers me.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Question: did some of the previous workers get fired or did they just leave? Is it ever revealed in this type of industry?

They left for other projects, if memory serves.

Sailor Sedna wrote:
Unfortunately Yuji Kobayashi is still on the writing team, and since giving personalities to characters doesn't seem to be his strong suit, I have no high hopes other than the animation be improved, and I HOPE TO GOD they bring back Megumi Ogata and Masako Katsuki, or have other VAs that can sound just like them.

He isn't the only writer at least. Hopefully some more writers will join the team so he isn't writing every other episode like the first two arcs. And I wouldn't get your hopes up for reprisals. They only seemed to care about getting Usagi back. Most of the replacements have been good though, so I'm not too worried about new VAs. Especially since there's always the Viz dub to fall back on, for cases like Wiseman's Crystal VA. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4