• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Michael Bay Returns to Direct Transformers 5 Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
Bayservice = fanservice
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
I'd love the shit out of these films if they weren't so goddamned hard to look at and edited/paced like someone's running out of time to live to get it finished. I have less problem with the asinine 10 year old humor than the vomit-inducing cinematography. Bay was supposed to be a good shot composer and basically they've just been impossible to enjoy.

Though, they can bring Lebouf back now. His post-Fury persona is something I'd love to see alongside a bunch of robots.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
Any time you see or hear about a Michael Bay movie you can watch this episode for laughs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDhv8Enwmuo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote
I was kinda curious to see a new director's take on the series, but oh well. The movies aren't great, but there still pretty entertaining ( and I still love the first one). Hopefully Hasbro/Takara Tomy also steps up their Transformer movie toy-line quality. Their Age of Extinction line placed way too much emphasis on those overly simple 1-step/power battle figures.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
You don't even need a punchline. The header just writes the joke for itself.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen Transformers 4 but I have watched the first three movies and the first is my favorite but the rest were only okay for me but as long as the movies keep raking in the billions I don't think we're going to see the end of the live action Transformers any time soon regardless if Michael Bay directs or not. Rolling Eyes
bones2039

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
I liked the first one, but man, after 4 bayfest I was hoping they would change things up some. Instead we will get the dumb childish humor, shot after shot of some skinny Victoria's secret model looking sexy, and explosions. I know that sales but would it really hurt to have a TF movie that has a decent plot and actual characters?
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'd love the shit out of these films if they weren't so goddamned hard to look at and edited/paced like someone's running out of time to live to get it finished. I have less problem with the asinine 10 year old humor than the vomit-inducing cinematography. Bay was supposed to be a good shot composer and basically they've just been impossible to enjoy.

Though, they can bring Lebouf back now. His post-Fury persona is something I'd love to see alongside a bunch of robots.

Bay may be the worst offender, but really any modern action movie will suffer from Bay's editing disease. It's like all action films of the last 2 decades are made for people that can't pay attention more than 2 seconds before a scene is cut. It makes those films thoroughly unenjoyable. Even the The Force Awakens suffers from this kind of rapid bullshit editing. No amount of good actors can fix this.
Rapid editing and orange teal color are the modern cancer of the XXIst century movie industry, it's like movie directors all but forgot how to make colorful movies. Rolling Eyes
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
I was kinda curious to see a new director's take on the series, but oh well. The movies aren't great, but there still pretty entertaining ( and I still love the first one). Hopefully Hasbro/Takara Tomy also steps up their Transformer movie toy-line quality. Their Age of Extinction line placed way too much emphasis on those overly simple 1-step/power battle figures.

Which raises the question: Paramount wants one for their corporate marketing strategy, but what CAN Bay do for an encore?
We only got #4 because the fans who liked the films kept pestering Bay for "C'mon, man, ya gotta have Grimlock and the Dinobots in it!"

Okay, did that--Now he's left with absolutely nothing on his plate, Shia included, and it's going to end up as pointless as the third movie.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
bones2039 wrote:

shot after shot of some skinny Victoria's secret model looking sexy, and explosions.

Wait, people complaining about fanservice? What's next, people complaining about pantyshots? Wink
bones2039

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I only complain when said fan service is the same over and over again. By the 4th time I've seen it already. I say this as a fan of ecchi comedies but TF isn't an ecchi comedy. Bay just shoehorns it into TF movies that don't need it. After the 4th time it just starts to really stand out as a negative.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'd love the shit out of these films if they weren't so goddamned hard to look at and edited/paced like someone's running out of time to live to get it finished. I have less problem with the asinine 10 year old humor than the vomit-inducing cinematography.

I have a little more problem with the asinine 10-yo. humor, just because there's so MUCH of it, it gets top director priority--
I can appreciate that the "Pot brownies" scene in TF2 was a casualty of the writers' strike and Bay had to put in what he personally thought made a clever film (as opposed to, say, putting in the robots hitting each other a half hour earlier...), but there was no strike on during the third film, so how does that explain an entire hour of John Malkovich and Deep Wang?

It's the rule we started to talk about during Avengers 2:
Never let the same director do his own hit sequel, or he'll think he has the sandbox all to himself to play in.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
XerneasYveltal wrote:
This can mean one thing now that Bay is back.

Explosions.

Oh, come now, it means much MORE than that:
- Insultingly goofy racial stereotypes
- "Trailer" tropes (like boom-boom-blackouts during action scenes, or audibly "zhhoop!"-closeupping onto a character's face before he says a money-line)
- Sycophantic kissups to the China market
- And, of course, a self-indulgent interest in his own subplots and complete obliviousness to the writing concept of "Kill Your Darlings", by giving us up to an hour of wacky sitcom-byplay between the characters before anything robotic even appears.

This is going to happen regardless of who directs it. The movies make way too much money in China for them to not play it up.

EricJ2 wrote:
Which raises the question: Paramount wants one for their corporate marketing strategy, but what CAN Bay do for an encore?
We only got #4 because the fans who liked the films kept pestering Bay for "C'mon, man, ya gotta have Grimlock and the Dinobots in it!"

Okay, did that--Now he's left with absolutely nothing on his plate, Shia included, and it's going to end up as pointless as the third movie.

Unicron
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I think a trilogy is good enough. In his defense, however, this is the 1 anime series adaptation Hollywood has done that has been a financial success.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Bay films may be pretty shallow but they sure are damn fun to watch if you're bored. Can't wait to see what the trailers will be like, they're usually engaging. Just wish Shia would come back, he's a quarter of the fun Sad

Michael-Bay-esque movies are the only type of live-action movies I can watch, anything else puts me to sleep. I wonder if there are other people like me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3