• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Real Pirates of One Piece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:39 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I was also hoping to see a mention of Roronoa Zoro, one of the most important characters in the series, named after François l'Olonnais, one of the most badass French people to have ever lived.

I was sticking to the villains for this article (or at least the characters presented as more villainous), but if I do write more of these, he'd be at the top of my list. I was trying for a mix of well-known and obscure source pirates, as well as male and female...and, you know, keeping it a manageable length. So sadly my list had to be narrowed down. Crying or Very sad

valiel wrote:
I always thought that the One Piece Blackbeard and Whitebeard were both based on the real life Blackbeard, with Teach being based more on the legend on Blackbeard, and Newgate being based more on how Blackbeard was actually supposed to be. Every account of him that I have read, made his real character out to be much more honorable, still a pirate, but not cruel.

That had been my initial thought, although a lot of the Blackbeard historical sources tend to be somewhat romanticized. (There's also a fair amount of confusion in less scholarly sources between Blackbeard, Black Bart, and Black Bellamy.) Ultimately the use of "Newgate" in Whitebeard's name was too significant for me to ignore, and historically felt more solid.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I was sticking to the villains for this article (or at least the characters presented as more villainous), but if I do write more of these, he'd be at the top of my list. I was trying for a mix of well-known and obscure source pirates, as well as male and female...and, you know, keeping it a manageable length. So sadly my list had to be narrowed down. Crying or Very sad

Oh, okay. I didn't even notice that this list was mostly villains (though Whitebeard's pretty heroic). The list of characters in One Piece named after someone is downright massive though.

I do hope there will be more of these in the future.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the art style in East Blue wasn't bad, it was just different but in a unique, wow I'm watching something fascinatingly different sort of way. Especially the HD remasters. The most atrocious character design has been during Arabasta, Thriller Bark, and then post-timeskip has been snot city which I can't even with but whatever, Oda, he's been sick lately so, you know, you write what you know, man.

One or two more articles like this would be fun. Even though they always pop up all over the Internets, everyone puts different stuff because there's so much to draw from, and everyone includes different historical details which is enjoyable and fun. Keep doing this, please. Very Happy
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Honestly, the art style in East Blue wasn't bad, it was just different but in a unique, wow I'm watching something fascinatingly different sort of way. Especially the HD remasters. The most atrocious character design has been during Arabasta, Thriller Bark, and then post-timeskip has been snot city which I can't even with but whatever, Oda, he's been sick lately so, you know, you write what you know, man.

You're the first person I've seen insisting Alabasta and Thriller Bark had declining quality in art.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Great article! As someone who's studied pirates for fun and their historical significance, it was very well put together. I have a healthy respect for Oda Eiichiro because he reinvents classic pirates into entirely new characters. It's always amusing to see who he'll tap next for inspiration and whether or not he'll follow the original history. I would love to see another article on this subject. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:
Looking at those pictures of the pirates reminded me how ugly One Piece's character design is.

They are nearly twenty years old. Now some old characters designs to hold up over time, but a lot of them don't age well.

How does age have anything to do with the quality of the art over time? Even back in the 90's Oda's art style was off the beaten track (mostly drawing comparisons to Dragon Ball), and when it started getting coverage in the West during the early aughts I remember people pointing out how different it looked, either loving it or disliking it. If anything, it just goes to show that attitudes have stayed the same, even as time has gone on.

In any case, I do like Oda's art style, and a lot of his full color illustration work is amazing. His anatomy and perspective can get a bit wonky at times, but it's still well-realized nonetheless.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:
Looking at those pictures of the pirates reminded me how ugly One Piece's character design is.

They are nearly twenty years old. Now some old characters designs to hold up over time, but a lot of them don't age well.

How does age have anything to do with the quality of the art over time? Even back in the 90's Oda's art style was off the beaten track (mostly drawing comparisons to Dragon Ball), and when it started getting coverage in the West during the early aughts I remember people pointing out how different it looked, either loving it or disliking it. If anything, it just goes to show that attitudes have stayed the same, even as time has gone on.

In any case, I do like Oda's art style, and a lot of his full color illustration work is amazing. His anatomy and perspective can get a bit wonky at times, but it's still well-realized nonetheless.

In this case, opinions have stayed the same as you mentioned, due to its iconoclastic designs. Considering the medium, two dimensional drawings, doesn't change, the quality shouldn't change with time. Taste in design does however change. Would you say that designs from say the 90's or early 00's are still good looking? The quality of the art doesn't change, but people's opinion of those designs definitely does.Significant changes in character design taste are often a barrier to watching older shows, which is often mentioned by reviewers reviewing older shows. Now as you mentioned, the designs were very different so this applies less to One Piece, but more conventionally designed shows are very much affected by changing character design taste. The best and most iconically designed ones can hold up to time as well, but most designs live and die with the trends of the time.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
Something else that came to mind is that nearly every member of the Worst Generation is named after someone, mostly people of the sea. Luffy and Killer are the only ones who aren't, though Capone Bege is named after a landlubber.

It seems that being named after someone in One Piece indicates they will be significant in some way. Even Alvida, as Luffy's first adversary in the anime (though she wasn't that important in the manga).

Kikaioh wrote:

If anything, Oda's drawing style has become more traditional as time goes on. Recent characters like Cavendish and Gladius are closer to the rest of WSJ in appearance than older characters like Wapol and Igaram. There are still plenty of thoroughly western-inspired character designs though, like Orlumbus and Elizabello II. It wouldn't be One Piece without them.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
In this case, opinions have stayed the same as you mentioned, due to its iconoclastic designs. Considering the medium, two dimensional drawings, doesn't change, the quality shouldn't change with time. Taste in design does however change. Would you say that designs from say the 90's or early 00's are still good looking? The quality of the art doesn't change, but people's opinion of those designs definitely does.Significant changes in character design taste are often a barrier to watching older shows, which is often mentioned by reviewers reviewing older shows. Now as you mentioned, the designs were very different so this applies less to One Piece, but more conventionally designed shows are very much affected by changing character design taste. The best and most iconically designed ones can hold up to time as well, but most designs live and die with the trends of the time.

I think it's all subjective. It's true that general tastes change with time, but that's not to say that the stylistic sensibilities of one era are necessarily better than any other (unless you're talking in some sort of technical or mechanical sense). Personally yes, I would say that character designs from the 90's and early aughts are still good looking, but it depends on the style or artist you're referring to. If we're talking about the works of artists like Rumiko Takahashi, Rui Araizumi, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, Akira Toriyama, Masaki Kajishima, Naoki Urasawa, Masashi Kishimoto, Yuzo Takada, CLAMP, Kenichi Sonoda, etc., I think they generally had art styles that were popular and influential in their time that I think are still really good. Now if you ask if I still liked Masami Obari's art style from works like Gowcaizer or Fatal Fury, I would say no, but I'd also say that I didn't like those designs much back when I first saw them in the 90's either.

I think my issue may be more with how commentators sometimes word things when it comes to older works, as though to suggest that stylistically/spiritually speaking, the sensibilities of works become worse with time, which I don't think is the case. Those older works themselves don't change, but the people who first watched them, and the people who are still watching anime, they can change relative to those works, and I think that affects perceptions more than necessarily the quality of the work itself. There are still fantastic works from the 90's and early aughts that are very enjoyable and great to read/watch, and I think boiling any sort of lacking quality down to "its age" maybe undercuts that older works can also be very good even in a modern context. People who are hesitant to experience older works because of their style I think are like anyone who hesitates to check out something that's old and different --- they just have preconceived notions that older means worser, and understandably aren't as willing to invest the time to know if that's really the case or not, which is a shame.

But getting back to One Piece and Oda's art style, it wasn't really a work that reflected the era it came from, it was as odd and distinct back in the 90's as it still is now, so I don't think it can be said that it was part of any trend that died with its time.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I think it's all subjective. It's true that general tastes change with time, but that's not to say that the stylistic sensibilities of one era are necessarily better than any other (unless you're talking in some sort of technical or mechanical sense). Personally yes, I would say that character designs from the 90's and early aughts are still good looking, but it depends on the style or artist you're referring to. If we're talking about the works of artists like Rumiko Takahashi, Rui Araizumi, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, Akira Toriyama, Masaki Kajishima, Naoki Urasawa, Masashi Kishimoto, Yuzo Takada, CLAMP, Kenichi Sonoda, etc., I think they generally had art styles that were popular and influential in their time that I think are still really good. Now if you ask if I still liked Masami Obari's art style from works like Gowcaizer or Fatal Fury, I would say no, but I'd also say that I didn't like those designs much back when I first saw them in the 90's either.

I think my issue may be more with how commentators sometimes word things when it comes to older works, as though to suggest that stylistically/spiritually speaking, the sensibilities of works become worse with time, which I don't think is the case. Those older works themselves don't change, but the people who first watched them, and the people who are still watching anime, they can change relative to those works, and I think that affects perceptions more than necessarily the quality of the work itself. There are still fantastic works from the 90's and early aughts that are very enjoyable and great to read/watch, and I think boiling any sort of lacking quality down to "its age" maybe undercuts that older works can also be very good even in a modern context. People who are hesitant to experience older works because of their style I think are like anyone who hesitates to check out something that's old and different --- they just have preconceived notions that older means worser, and understandably aren't as willing to invest the time to know if that's really the case or not, which is a shame.

But getting back to One Piece and Oda's art style, it wasn't really a work that reflected the era it came from, it was as odd and distinct back in the 90's as it still is now, so I don't think it can be said that it was part of any trend that died with its time.

I would agree that it is all subjective. In fact that was the point. Certainly one shouldn't think that one era's sensibilities is superior to another's just because one is more recent than the other. Quality of designs varies significantly as you mentioned. There's plenty of poorly designed shows nowadays or at least unremarkablely designed. And taste in design varies from person to person, both for taste in more polarizing designs and taste in a particular era's design.

To be fair to those hesitant to watch older shows due to old designs, at least from personal experience, I would say that it is not all out of thinking that it is worse because it is older, but rather that it is jarringly different. The quality of designs can ease that though, with more well designed ones being easier to watch. Now certainly people would be wrong to not give a show a chance just because it's older as there are plenty of older shows better than the average show nowadays (Not saying "Back in the day anime was better and everything today is shit", just saying from the nature of time, the number of above average shows over all time greatly exceeds the number of average shows airing currently or even recently).

To return to Oda, I certainly don't dislike his designs. I merely wanted differences in design over time to be considered, though it applies less to Oda's designs due to their distinctness. I certainly don't know the mind of the poster I was quoting originally with regard to why they thought it was ugly, but I thought that one should consider that taste in design was different in older shows before writing it off as ugly, though in this case it may well have been the distinctness that they found ugly. I mainly was displeased with their vehement writing off of the designs and wanted to give at least one reason to not write it off so quickly.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Enel = Eminem.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
chex mix wrote:

You're the first person I've seen insisting Alabasta and Thriller Bark had declining quality in art.

Not animation quality though, character design. Also, to be fair to Arabasta, it's mainly the pre main island stuff. Mainly.

Anyways, I'm happy to be the only one who feels that way, if I am. I have no problem with being the sole holder of a dissenting opinion.

Plus, Thriller Bark is all around so... I don't know, boring, yet annoying? In my opinion, and I skip it in my rewatches from what point I tap out on at up to spoiler[Kuma showing up] which to be sure must affect my opinion. It's fine.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:

Plus, Thriller Bark is all around so... I don't know, boring, yet annoying? In my opinion, and I skip it in my rewatches from what point I tap out on at up to spoiler[Kuma showing up] which to be sure must affect my opinion. It's fine.

It's not a big deal most of the post East Blue arcs and most notably the arcs that followed the time skip have their fair share of critics.
SheWolfSmart007

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Is Very Cool pirates Style Character Edward Newgate = Newgate Prison But there Only One problem I wish they put Monkey D on picture Monkey D Luffy = DreamsWorks picture The Boy Who Sit on Moon goes fishing little While... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DreamWorks_Animation_SKG_logo_with_fishing_boy.svg anyway the One piece Show episode making more and more Season stuff since 1999 was start anime because all people fans like it new pirates style and design.. Like a year Confused Rolling Eyes

Last edited by SheWolfSmart007 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
@zrnzle500: Fair enough I think we're on the same page, and I would agree that taste in design does seem fairly different comparing time periods (the 90's maybe had more of its fair share of weird and off-beat designs than the more widespread/popular LN sort of style that you see these days, so the sensibilities back in the day may have been more ready for One Piece's distinct art style).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3