• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Impressions: Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MCAL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
It would be hilarious to break to the fan translators that EVERY entry in the FE franchise has been localized to the same degree as Fates has.

That doesn't sound like something to brag about in all honesty. It's a bit ironic and perhaps fitting Digimon Cyber Sleuth is the mirror in this article. If they went under the notion that Digimon has always been heavily censored in America then Cyber Sleuth would have been heavily censored as well. While Sony seems to be moving forward and being progressive, Nintendo is still stuck in the 90s mentality. Personally I can never understand why someone would get so happy or proud about a game being censored, but perhaps that just me. Perhaps its just left over from the anti otaku mindset of the petting mini-game. Now that we know that the game has been heavily altered in non otaku ways like Saizou and Belka's support being change from them discussing their childhood as soldiers and the effects of being an assassin from birth on their mental state to just a joke about ellipses, it almost feels like they defend it because if they complain it gives the other side an edge when it comes to other content being cut. Some kind of all-or-nothing mentality.

It's not like there aren't legitimate complaints about the localization, but its pretty much like finding a needle in a haystack at this point. My favorite one so far has to be one person comparing people who are fine with the Fire Emblem they have to Nazi Collaborators (I wish I could make that up) Doesn't of course help that (God help us) Gamergate people are all over it.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
It would be hilarious to break to the fan translators that EVERY entry in the FE franchise has been localized to the same degree as Fates has. Maybe the whole enterprise wouldn't be so insufferable were it not for me seeing parts of the fan translation which is completely boring and robotic. There's a reason straight translation is not entertaining in media.

True straight translations are boring but there has to be a line when bringing rpg's to the west. Game's like neptunia, disgaea or stein's; gate have meta/intenet humor so inserting jokes/meme's is fine. That's charm of those type of games and why they are loved by fans.

However games like fire emblem that have a serious story line. Jokes like "rawr=I love you in dinosaur" does not fit well into the narrative. Honestly stuff like that ruins the immersion for me and I really wish NoA/Tree-house would've given more effort into writing a better script.
There are also loads of typos and its pretty obvious its a machine translation as well. The real problem however is people claiming the "fan-translation" is both truer to the Japanese (Which is impossible with a machine tl) and is actually the one that is made by true fire emblem fans which is such a blatant lie. Is the localization really so bad that a script that's like 10% not completely true to the exact letter of the Japanese script is worse then one that's 90%. Also I don't see what's wrong with the example you gave especially since no one seems to bother providing context to the situation it depicts which is another problem. The ellipses conversation is a much better example as it depicts a entire conversation in context (Not that its hard to do. It's just four lines.)

Last edited by MCAL on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Super Robot Wars OG The Moon Dwellers: I wonder what prompted the decision to include English text. The series never did it before and now it suddenly pops up. Was this done intentionally so overseas fans would import?

Ys VIII: It's going to be interesting switching to someone else's perspective in an Ys game and the things you do in one segment affects the other. They're definitely getting a bit more creative with Ys while not changing the standard formula too much.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth: I am definitely making buying a PS4 my goal for the next few months so I can finally get to playing this.

Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale: Pretty awesome of XSEED to translate the 1981 manga like that, something no other game studio would do. They really know their stuff. Kudos to them as usual.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
The series has always had fanservice, and in the first series alone we dealt with Yamato being solicited by an adult woman, Taichi's grief over almost killing Hikari as a kid, and Pinocchimon going on a shooting spree with a 44 Magnum, killing a bunch of Digimon and trying to kill Takeru by, in his own words "make your stomach explode" with hollow point dumdum bullets. Later series were more extreme, like the ethics of killing in 02, or Tamers in general, but that's just the nature of kids anime.

I will never understand the Japanese and their thought processes when it comes to what they air "for kids". I know it's been brought up numerous times before, but I still don't quite get how it's acceptable for their children to learn about adult situations and hear violent comments being made. Are their youth just smarter at not being influenced by things they see on TV, therefore making it okay to show such content?
Cetais

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why people complain so much about FE Fate's translation. So far, the only examples I've seen are boring texts that are pretty much boring. Yeah, they skipped the whole assassin's texts, but the "..." are quite better, giving a light-hearted touch of humor, while the japanese text is pretty much "Useless information that you do not care about, cemented in anime-clichés".
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Super Robot Wars OG The Moon Dwellers: I wonder what prompted the decision to include English text. No offense to Asians or anything, but they don't exactly give a flip about the English language. Was this done intentionally so overseas fans would import?

The British Empire had extensive colonies in Asia, not to mention the U.S. in the Philippines. Animax Asia broadcasts were only in English until recently. Plenty of Asian authors write in English.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:

Over half of the voice files have been removed.

Don't see why this an issue. Since it's not all that uncommon for voice files to be removed from a game.

Vanadise wrote:
Many character names were pointlessly changed.

First time playing a Fire Emblem game?

Vanadise wrote:

I don't think it's unreasonable to want a well-written translation that doesn't remove and alter a ton of content.

Expecting a well written translation that doesn't remove or alter the parts of the original dialog is kind of pointless.

Just-another-face wrote:

I will never understand the Japanese and their thought processes when it comes to what they air "for kids". I know it's been brought up numerous times before, but I still don't quite get how it's acceptable for their children to learn about adult situations and hear violent comments being made.

Because 9-10 year old kids in certain cultures are much more smarter and capable of adapting to certain things.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
The British Empire had extensive colonies in Asia, not to mention the U.S. in the Philippines. Animax Asia broadcasts were only in English until recently. Plenty of Asian authors write in English.

While that's all true and I'm aware of those facts, what I meant is I wonder why now with Super Robot Wars did they choose to go with this decision after all this time. The series never did it till now.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

While that's all true and I'm aware of those facts, what I meant is I wonder why now with Super Robot Wars did they choose to go with this decision after all this time. The series never did it till now.

Ah. Guess the game publishers saw an opportunity. I mean, my Japanese reading comprehension sucks and I've been studying on and off for twenty years.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Cyber slueth is awesome. The translation, not so much. That lack of QC.

I wasn't expecting much at all, but I thought the plot was surprisingly engaging, and the characters grew on me despite not being all that developed like in a Persona game or such. Also, as a fan of this Digimon, it has my favorite incarnation of spoiler[Alphamon. ]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Ah. Guess the game publishers saw an opportunity. I mean, my Japanese reading comprehension sucks and I've been studying on and off for twenty years.

It's a shame said opportunity didn't come around a lot sooner with SRW. At least importers can benefit from a full-on translation of everything going on with the story and the names of attacks and skills. Especially for those characters who come from anime that never got localized or even fansubbed (and that list is increasingly huge).

Twenty years? You read better than I do I'm sure. I've sadly only had a few years of training myself and I'm still lacking polish when it comes to kanji meanings.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Twenty years? You read better than I do I'm sure. I've sadly only had a few years of training myself and I'm still lacking polish when it comes to kanji meanings.

I had over ten years of required Chinese lessons in school. Can't speak enough Chinese to survive in Chinatown, let alone China. Just can't seem to pick up languages without total immersion or a LOT of motivation. Probably learned more Chinese in the years I was watching Maison Ikkoku dubbed and subtitled in Mandarin.

As for games in Japanese, I finished the first four Sakura Taisen games. But I had to check the translation FAQs every now and then or make wild guesses.

Last edited by fuuma_monou on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
MCAL wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
It would be hilarious to break to the fan translators that EVERY entry in the FE franchise has been localized to the same degree as Fates has.

That doesn't sound like something to brag about in all honesty. It's a bit ironic and perhaps fitting Digimon Cyber Sleuth is the mirror in this article. If they went under the notion that Digimon has always been heavily censored in America then Cyber Sleuth would have been heavily censored as well. While Sony seems to be moving forward and being progressive, Nintendo is still stuck in the 90s mentality. Personally I can never understand why someone would get so happy or proud about a game being censored, but perhaps that just me. Perhaps its just left over from the anti otaku mindset of the petting mini-game. Now that we know that the game has been heavily altered in non otaku ways like Saizou and Belka's support being change from them discussing their childhood as soldiers and the effects of being an assassin from birth on their mental state to just a joke about ellipses, it almost feels like they defend it because if they complain it gives the other side an edge when it comes to other content being cut. Some kind of all-or-nothing mentality.
It's like Republican mess all over again.

Because wanting a better localization job goes right down party lines? I don't see how that's a relevant comment at all.

Is it possible to be upset at some of the localization problems, and not the others, and not drag politics into it?

Why, one of the last JRPGs I bought that was localized left out translating an upgrade screen that arrived halfway through the game, instantly locking up the game. Like you could see half-broken Japanese remaining in that upgrade screen. You had to look at it because your game was now locked and the console needed to be reset! It was quickly patched, but it wasn't an issue with the original game.

People should be able to vent about localization, because frankly. Stuff goes wrong, even with the best of intentions. Like consider maybe the conversation removed from Fates and replaced with ellipses was, as some speculated, a Placeholder for whatever they were working on. And then they patched it in. Or maybe it was an unintentional accident. It could be various things. So slinging the political tar-and-feather brush around this early is misguided.

As for the SRW english thing, you've seen quite a few companies for anime just adding in English subtitles to their anime, and expecting import purchases. This is an alternative to the Aniplex/Collector's Edition model. Importing and Collector's Editions both cost a ton of money.
MCAL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
^
I was making more of a broad generalization rather than an actual political statement, but yeah, it was a silly thing to say so I'll edit my statement now.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Super Robot Wars OG The Moon Dwellers: I wonder what prompted the decision to include English text. The series never did it before and now it suddenly pops up. Was this done intentionally so overseas fans would import?

It's incredibly popular in Asia as a whole. I'm double dipping I'm not really confident in the translation quality considering the screenshots they released.

I do hope BanNam America actually attempts to maybe make an attempt at actually treating the series decently but I doubt it.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
I am so happy I get to actually play as Raven after all these years(never had a 360 and if I did I doubt I would have bought GG2) It's been a long time coming.

Also, another recommendation for Cyber Slueth here, I just couldn't get enough of that game. Despite some flaws and an (at times) awful localization, It's just a fantastic Digimon game.

Also some of the highly sexual designs in this game make the unfortunate figure cancellation hilariously sad, since Angewomon is relatively tame compared to some of the other stuff in the game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3