• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viewster Closes Omakase Subscription Box Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
I'm surprised they're still trying to get a foothold in the anime streaming market at all, tbh. Unless that's what this is really about...

They gave up on that quite a while ago. Omakase was first thought up as a way to help market their streaming offerings, but then it became the principal business line.

They've pulled back from streaming both in the USA and in the UK where they used to be much stronger.

I suspect they will continue to offer streaming as long as they have licenses, but they won't acquire any new content. Maybe they'll acquire new non-anime, but on the anime side I think they're done. That's the consensus in the industry. Viewster A.G. is first and foremost a B2B/Whitelabel company, and I think they are aiming to return to that.

-t

Viewster no longer has any content acquisitions people anywhere in its organization, so I doubt there will be any new content acquired at all.
FYI I left Viewster end of 2015 and didn't sign any NDA, so invite me on for a tell all ANNCast sometime!
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
lolitsronald wrote:
Do I still get the free volume 2 hardcover silver coated Kill la Kill manga? They emailed me that if I continue to subscribe, after the next box ships, theyll ship a copy for free...

That's the first time I've ever heard about plans to offer a hardcover of V2. Being part of the KLK-themed box made sense with V1, but they were just going to give out V2 to continuing subscribers?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Shame, I liked these more than the other ones, instead of getting a bunch of random stuff and hoping that some of it would be from shows you liked. You could get a bunch of merchandise that you liked.

That may of course of been part for the issue, I only got Kill La Kill as none of the others interested me, and other people seemed to of had similar experiences, with the loot grates you sort of have to get everyone, or are at least more inclined to.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
lolitsronald wrote:
Do I still get the free volume 2 hardcover silver coated Kill la Kill manga? They emailed me that if I continue to subscribe, after the next box ships, theyll ship a copy for free...

That's the first time I've ever heard about plans to offer a hardcover of V2. Being part of the KLK-themed box made sense with V1, but they were just going to give out V2 to continuing subscribers?
They sent an email out to people who had subscribed to the first box, offering them a copy of Kill La Kill volume 2 hardbook if they resubscribed.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
So is Viewster also going to end their streaming services in North America too?

This is the premier streaming service in Germany, right? I'm guessing they're still doing fine in continental Europe. But really, what works for one part of the world won't necessarily work in another (and this is besides that there are already well-established streaming services in the parts of North America Viewster tried to aim at). Heck, what works in one part of a country might not work in a different part of the same country. There is a reason why there is no nationwide supermarket chain in the United States, for instance (though there are companies that own multiple chains that span nationwide).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
It seems that with the Omakase mystery boxes being centered only around shows that are hugely popular, they simply fell out of favor. A bit sad that the service is coming to an end, but with no new content being present, it was destined to happen.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a bunch of youtubers do unboxings. The products looked high quality and the exclusive items seem really good. However the market is saturated so badly that many of these cannot compete. It's a shame.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
What set them apart from the other anime boxes is, sadly, what limited their growth rate. That said, it is not what killed the company. You'll have to read between the lines of the letter that was sent out to figure out why they are closing.

The controversy over the Miku box unintentionally turning out to be bootleg fake merchandise was a heavy blow early.

Otaku was Viewster's one big core-audience shot at "credibility" as an actual Crunchyroll/Funi competitor in NA--they have virtually zero market as a streaming-movie service on this continent to compete with Amazon and Vudu, and found they could target anime fans when we all noticed "Hey, they're getting Funi shows!"--but both the "fake" scandal and an inability to keep the service going may have cut the last leg out from under their chair.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Damn this is sad. I got the Naruto box and I liked it. Sad
GeorgH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
This is the premier streaming service in Germany, right?

Viewster offered Animes in Germany in late 2014 - over a year after Crunchyroll started their german services.

There are also subscription-only services by several established DVD/BD-Publishers and two dub-only services.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'm guessing they're still doing fine in continental Europe.

I don't know how they are doing in UK or Scandinavia, but as far as I know they don't have any Simulcast running this Winter Season in Continental Europe.
(I can't tell it for sure, as licencing regions vary from series to series - e.g. Crunchyroll streams Digimon Tri in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liechtenstein but in none of the surrounding countries)

They also offer various older series, that have never been sold to any european dvd-publisher or where these rights expired - but they only offer english subs for these series (in some cases they also offer american dubs).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The e-mail cites the numbers "not scaling at the level or on the timeline that Viewster AG had hoped for" as the reason for the closure.

So it would seem that when given the option of a culinary gamble, diners would simply prefer to order à la carte.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Freyanne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, good thing I had decided to go ahead and subscribe for the Vocaloid box a few days ago.

I am sad that they are closing Omakase down, because I actually liked how they told you the theme of the box beforehand and showed you a few of the items inside. I wish more subscription boxes did the latter because part of why I don't try out the other anime boxes is because I feel it's mostly junk or things I wouldn't wan't. Heck, the one box I tried, I legit only liked the two gashapon figures that were inside and I had paid $40 for it.

They are right about people not wanting both the streaming and subscription box. I personally would have no interest in the streaming part of Viewster because I already have crunchyroll for that.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I honestly wasn't surprised when I read the headline. I did think they were going to last a little longer though.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Ouch.

Sad to hear, but not really surprising. Didn't know that their anime streaming service was done for, too. Though, again, not surprising. Crunchyroll and Funimation have a strong foothold in the North American market, and Daisuki has exclusive access to certain big titles each season. Viewster got...Vampire Holmes? Sushi and Beyond? The sort of things you would expect CR to pick up in addition to big name titles.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Tempest wrote:
What set them apart from the other anime boxes is, sadly, what limited their growth rate. That said, it is not what killed the company. You'll have to read between the lines of the letter that was sent out to figure out why they are closing.

The controversy over the Miku box unintentionally turning out to be bootleg fake merchandise was a heavy blow early.

Otaku was Viewster's one big core-audience shot at "credibility" as an actual Crunchyroll/Funi competitor in NA--they have virtually zero market as a streaming-movie service on this continent to compete with Amazon and Vudu, and found they could target anime fans when we all noticed "Hey, they're getting Funi shows!"--but both the "fake" scandal and an inability to keep the service going may have cut the last leg out from under their chair.

Are you confusing with Japan Crate?
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-14/japan-crate-doki-doki-crate-ships-with-bootleg-items-company-responds/.98557
Viewster's boxes have never had any bootleg goods in them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4