• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Powerpuff Girls Gets Japanese Dub Starring Aki Toyosaki, Sumire Uesaka, Tomo Muranaka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
lol after hearing the rather awful new English voices maybe I'll watch this in Japanese. I can never get enough Aki Toyosaki Smile

pikopika wrote:
I may actually watch the Japanese dub over the English. Surprised

Are you two serious? You do realize Powerpuff Girls isn't an anime, right?

I hope you don't watch anime dubbed; you know anime isn't American, right?

Anyway, I too will probably watch this subbed since it's not like the American version has the original voice actors. If it did I would watch it an English.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Just pondering from a curious standpoint here, but I wonder what the Japanese see in the Powerpuff Girls. I'm sure the obvious joke answer someone will give me is "well they're big-eyed, cute little girls so it makes sense". Anime hyper

There's probably an appeal to them being female child superheroes. Japan after all is the pioneer of tokusatsu and magical girl shows and the Powerpuff Girls are little girls with superpowers who somewhat resemble Hello Kitty.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm amazed that "The Powerpuff Girls" are so popular,especially in Japan. I've never gotten into the show,myself but there seem to be a lot of fans of this show out there. I'm just blown away by it.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
I hope you don't watch anime dubbed; you know anime isn't American, right?

Anyway, I too will probably watch this subbed since it's not like the American version has the original voice actors.

I hope you realize that Powerpuff Girls still isn't an anime, right? Your attempt to counter my point really has no weight whatsoever if that was supposed to be you trying to argue against it.

I understand the staying power and identity of the original trio's voices, but I wish folks would stop putting the new voice actresses up in front of a firing squad before they've even had a chance to do anything yet. Besides it's not like it's their fault the original three weren't offered the opportunity; that's all on Cartoon Network and whatever reasoning they deemed necessary for this change.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! Now even the weebs can watch The Powerpuff Grills and feel superior about it!

Although yes, to be fair, it is a shame what happened with the original voice actresses. Not that these new ones aren't talented (they sound fine), but it is odd that they weren't even approached for the reboot. I mean, they were in the 15th anniversary special.But then again, that also had McCracken's involvement, which this does not. But they got the rest of the cast to return, and that's what has me stumped.

Regardless, I'll probably end up watching some of this new series if not just because of my unabashed love for PPG. I do think the animation of the new series actually seems a bit too good. There doesn't seem to be much of the impact or immediacy of the original's style present in this reboot. So more than anything else I'm assuming this version won't have much artistic merit behind it and will mostly be used as a surrogate for the opportunity to flood the stores with new Powerpuff Girls merchandise again. People who grew up with the show will think "hey, I remember these cute things" and buy a plushie or shirt at Hot Topic, and the cycle continues. If I recall correctly, merchandising for this series was absolutely huge in the early aughts.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Hooray! Now even the weebs can watch The Powerpuff Grills and feel superior about it!

Although yes, to be fair, it is a shame what happened with the original voice actresses. Not that these new ones aren't talented (they sound fine), but it is odd that they weren't even approached for the reboot. I mean, they were in the 15th anniversary special.But then again, that also had McCracken's involvement, which this does not. But they got the rest of the cast to return, and that's what has me stumped.

I've watched quite a few American cartoons in Japanese and it might be 'weeb' to say this I think the voice acting is better. Two examples I can think of is Mysterious Zone: Gravity Falls and Devil Buster: Star Butterfly. I like how the kids actually sound like kids rather than middle-aged men and women.

I've been seeing a lot of hate for this reboot for a variety of reasons. From the voice actors to the animation. It would be quite funny if this ended up being more popular in Japan than America. Though if Teen Titans Go being Cartoon Network's most popular show is any indication, internet outrage doesn't mean anything. Something tells me it might end up being the opposite of what the original Powerpuff Girls stood for though.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Just pondering from a curious standpoint here, but I wonder what the Japanese see in the Powerpuff Girls. I'm sure the obvious joke answer someone will give me is "well they're big-eyed, cute little girls so it makes sense". Anime hyper

Well, originally, Craig McCracken created The Powerpuff Girls as a parody of magical girl shows in general, in reaction to seeing Sailor Moon dominate Cartoon Network's airwaves. As a result, it has a lot of traits of magical girl shows in the 90's: Young women who fight evil, balancing normal lives with crimefighting, a really bizarre rogues gallery, a mentor figure, a small but important group of supporting characters, and a team dynamic.

So far though, attempts to appeal to Japan have been calculated rather than organic. That is, interest in The Powerpuff Girls in Japan is completely deliberate and not a case of Japanese people taking interest in an American cartoon with Japanese producers reacting to it.

Jayhosh wrote:
Regardless, I'll probably end up watching some of this new series if not just because of my unabashed love for PPG. I do think the animation of the new series actually seems a bit too good. There doesn't seem to be much of the impact or immediacy of the original's style present in this reboot. So more than anything else I'm assuming this version won't have much artistic merit behind it and will mostly be used as a surrogate for the opportunity to flood the stores with new Powerpuff Girls merchandise again. People who grew up with the show will think "hey, I remember these cute things" and buy a plushie or shirt at Hot Topic, and the cycle continues. If I recall correctly, merchandising for this series was absolutely huge in the early aughts.

The animation in the original series was the way it was out of necessity: As one of the first original productions of Cartoon Network, and beginning in a time when Cartoon Network was basically a place to dump Hanna-Barbera cartoons and Looney Tunes, The Powerpuff Girls didn't have much of a budget to work with. This forced the animation teams to get creative with what they could do. It used very limited animation, not in the same style as anime or older Hanna-Barbera stuff, but its own flavor that was also used in other shows with the Tartakovsky-McCracken team like Dexter's Laboratory, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and Wander Over Yonder (though not Samurai Jack).

This, of course, is not necessarily a bad thing. I think it worked in The Powerpuff Girls' favor.

Nowadays, Cartoon Network is a much bigger force that can provide a much higher budget. The Amazing World of Gumball uses similar limited animation techniques, for instance but its use of mixed media is something that the Cartoon Network of 1998 could not even dream of doing.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
Leafy, you do realize that American cartoons have historically been popular in Japan, right? Batman and the Disney Animated shows aired on mainstream channels. Most modern day shows air on satellite channels.

Ducktales on NES and Gameboy sold 750,000 copies in Japan.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I didn't say there's never been popular American animation in Japan, just that The Powerpuff Girls was not one of them, or at least not one that became popular on its own.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Simply airing on in mainstream channel doesn't make a show popular, nor does paroding or being influenced by anime. Totally Spies aired on a mainstream channel in Japan and is influenced by anime but it wasn't popular there. Airing on a mainstream channel is a huge risk for American cartoons in Japan. Satellite channels run similar to how American channels are but mainstream Japanese channels don't. That leads to cases like Transformers Prime and My Little Pony only airring part of their series due to timeslot demand and cancellation. I'm not sure if the entireity of the Powerpuff Girls cartoon even aired in Japan. Since Western shows usually have long hiatuses during certain episodes no new episodes would mean they would have to pull the plug on it since they're not going to show reruns. Japan may have only gotten the first 52 episodes on a mainstream channel and had to wait until aired on Cartoon Network Japan to see the rest of the series
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I've watched quite a few American cartoons in Japanese and it might be 'weeb' to say this I think the voice acting is better. Two examples I can think of is Mysterious Zone: Gravity Falls and Devil Buster: Star Butterfly. I like how the kids actually sound like kids rather than middle-aged men and women.

Yeah, definitely pretty weeb to say that. Besides, Japan just defaults to having women voice act almost every little boy character in existence. They make boys sound like little girls, so I wouldn't call it an improvement. XD
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Besides, Japan just defaults to having women voice act almost every little boy character in existence. They make boys sound like little girls, so I wouldn't call it an improvement. Anime hyper

Personally, I prefer prepubescent boy characters "sounding like little girls" over boy characters sounding as if they're 35-year-old adults any day.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Simply airing on in mainstream channel doesn't make a show popular, nor does paroding or being influenced by anime. Totally Spies aired on a mainstream channel in Japan and is influenced by anime but it wasn't popular there. Airing on a mainstream channel is a huge risk for American cartoons in Japan. Satellite channels run similar to how American channels are but mainstream Japanese channels don't. That leads to cases like Transformers Prime and My Little Pony only airring part of their series due to timeslot demand and cancellation. I'm not sure if the entireity of the Powerpuff Girls cartoon even aired in Japan. Since Western shows usually have long hiatuses during certain episodes no new episodes would mean they would have to pull the plug on it since they're not going to show reruns. Japan may have only gotten the first 52 episodes on a mainstream channel and had to wait until aired on Cartoon Network Japan to see the rest of the series

Well my examples were successes in Japan in the 90s which blow your hypothesis in the air. Also, if you're on a successful channel, even if you get low ratings, you're still gonna get more ratings than most late night TV anime.

Ducktales in Japan was more popular than DBZ in France or Spain based on game sales and merch.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I can't exactly read what you are all mad at, you are just stirring the pot.

Maybe something good will come from this reboot.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Personally, I prefer prepubescent boy characters "sounding like little girls" over boy characters sounding as if they're 35-year-old adults any day.

That tired out old argument? That doesn't even happen anymore. We do put effort into making little boys sound like little boys. I don't know why everyone keeps countering with "the U.S. makes little boys in cartoons sound like grown men" because that simply isn't true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3