• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:00 am Reply with quote
@Gina: I'm not really a dub watcher, but as a translator (not for Japanese, but still), I would be extremely curious to see this show dubbed, and how they would try to localize the humor (or not). Apparently, there's an actress doing rakugo in English in Japan. If someone like that helped with the localization, this could be very interesting, if still a challenging enterprise.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
Currently halfway through Rakugo, so I may not be qualified to say anything about this. Judging that its title includes the phrase Rakugo Shinju, Rakugo has to be the whole theme of the plot. If anything, this show manages to convey the whole point successfully through spectacular direction and composition, which in turn becomes its strengths than weaknesses.
On the other hand, I do have to agree with the reviewer that the character dramas feel somewhat impersonal and less interactive to me. Guess that is because the whole story is more about Yakumo's backstories than actual experiences, so it feels more like watching someone else's back however much you try to love the characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2