• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: When They Cry Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
I know seeing this is BD makes all the blood and gore all the more intense.

You know, at least from what i've seen in the first 3 arcs, there really isn't much blood and gore at all. There's one VERY significant exception in the third arc, but it seems like most of the violence is either implied or not directly shown, or at least not in graphic detail.

I think what I was trying say is how crystal clear everything is going to be. I mean you get to watch Higurashi on BD on a HDTV. That in itself is a beautiful thing.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
PS Am i the only one who's noticed that Mion is straight up packing heat in the 2nd and 3rd arcs, and no one draws attention to it, or mentions it in any way? If it was an intentional joke it would be hilarious.

It's an airsoft gun. Not real. Felt it was weird the anime kinda glossed over that detail.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Still deducting scores off of dubs for pronunciation "issues", Becs?

nothing was deducted. both language tracks have a A-
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, aside from the music I did not agree with the review at all, to me the visuals were barely stable and the pacing was really slow; not entirely surprising since the first series felt more like a set up for the next one.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
This is still my go to for the horror genre when I'm getting people into anime.
Also a big fan of this dub.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if the animation really deserves to get a B. Yet, I'm kinda looking forward to this, even if the ending really falls apart. Definitely interesting to solve the mysteries, which makes such genres engaging.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I think what Higurashi does really well that I've yet to see another 'horror' anime do is the dread and paranoia that comes from such a setting. The first arc had me on the edge of my seat, and I stayed there during most of the run, except for a big part of the second season and the first season's end confrontation. Unfortunately once that dread, paranoia and mystery are gone, I find the show doesn't really hold itself well at all, but what can you do.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
There is one thing that I found strange when watching this part of "When They Cry". I remember the english dub line that was given to Rika in the final episode and it really doesn't make all that much sense to me.

"Yes this is how it goes. And I will gladly play this game. During this month of June that never seems to end. For as long as I want."

But if I recall doesn't she end up dead by the time each arc is over? Why would she WANT for that to continue to happen? I mean by the second season she's doing everything in her power to PREVENT it from happening (and does so here as well). So I'm not exactly sure what was up with that. This line isn't in the sub version if I recall either. I remember when I first watched the series hearing that line and thinking that Rika was the one behind it all making everyone go through all this on purpose. Which is why when I watched the second season I was looking for that to be the case only to see it be the opposite. Idk that part of the dub just urks me is all.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
There is one thing that I found strange when watching this part of "When They Cry". I remember the english dub line that was given to Rika in the final episode and it really doesn't make all that much sense to me.

"Yes this is how it goes. And I will gladly play this game. During this month of June that never seems to end. For as long as I want."

But if I recall doesn't she end up dead by the time each arc is over? Why would she WANT for that to continue to happen? I mean by the second season she's doing everything in her power to PREVENT it from happening (and does so here as well). So I'm not exactly sure what was up with that. This line isn't in the sub version if I recall either. I remember when I first watched the series hearing that line and thinking that Rika was the one behind it all making everyone go through all this on purpose. Which is why when I watched the second season I was looking for that to be the case only to see it be the opposite. Idk that part of the dub just urks me is all.

But, didn't she come to a verdict opposite of her feelings prior to the events of the last episode. She explicitly stated something to the affect of that their dual and actions have made her reassess her position and standing. So, that can account to her change of "mood" in the sequel.

Also, I'm appalled by the lack of mention of the opening in this one. I loved the visuals and song of the first opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt26CSwCNao
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I can think of an instance where Sentai got the original dub actors back together for a rescued license. The Unlimited Blade Works film. If that gets a dub despite an LA based cast, why should Kai not? While Fate may be a better franchise overall, up until Zero, When They Cry was by far and away more popular and influential here in the west.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
While Fate may be a better franchise overall, up until Zero, When They Cry was by far and away more popular and influential here in the west.

I think you're underestimating how many fans the Fate/ franchise had in the West even before Zero came along. Despite how low a regard it's held in by fans of the original VN, the Fate/stay night TV series was tremendously popular. On this site it's in the Top 50 on the number of ratings and "seen" indicators it has, outnumbering WTC by 30 places on the ranking and close to 30% on the views. And all of that despite coming out only one TV season earlier. There's a reason why F/Z was the most anticipated show of its debut season: because it already had a large built-in fan base.

And I seriously question that WTC could be claimed to be "influential." Just about anything in it that could be claimed to influence later anime is more properly attributable to either earlier anime (moe girls committing bloody mayhem = Elfen Lied, puzzle-like structure = Boogiepop Phantom) or non-anime titles (cyclical storytelling = Groundhog Day).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
Responding to the previous dub things:

It may be an old show but it's not SO old that much of the audio has been lost. They could easily get the materials from Deen, especially since they recently released a lot of OVAs. And the series still has quite the following, so it's not like it won't sell. I mean, Clannad still has a similarly loyal fanbase, and that show's even older. I wouldn't mind recasting all the roles either - Sentai can't afford it and they are continuing to test out their growing studio, so why not? All in all, it's just complete and absolute indication that, given they made the first season's original DVD set (along with pretty much everything Geneon licensed), Funimation should have licensed this series and The Familiar of Zero - a series I hate but still deserves a dub. (Maybe Austin Tindle as Saito since Jonathan Meza's no longer with Bang Zoom? Personally I think he would be a MUCH more natural fit while still being close to the original dub.)

Last edited by Gemnist on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
Geminist wrote:
And speaking of which - why no dub for the second season, Sentai? The franchise is huge and we've been waiting forever to have it on our shelf, so that clearly justifies the cost.
Whatever Sentai knows about the sales numbers from the first season's days with Geneon/Funimation tells them otherwise. Funimation even came out and said that the sales were so bad that they wouldn't renew the license, license the sequels, or even consider licensing Umineko or similar titles, and I see no reason to believe the conspiracy theorists who claim that Funimation self-sabotaged Higurashi for nebulous and unexplained reasons. Higurashi may have been popular, but it wasn't the kind of popularity that translated to great sales, so Sentai figured that dubbing Kai wasn't worth the risk.

WingKing wrote:
Familiar of Zero is another one in the same situation - Geneon licensed the first season of FoZ and we got a dub with that set when the DVDs came out in 2008, but the second and third seasons were never licensed by anyone in the US until Sentai picked them up in 2014/15, seven years after they aired, and they didn't go back and dub those seasons (nor season 4, which they already had).
Someday's Dreamers is another case -- Sentai re-released the 2003 series with Geneon's old dub, but released the 2008 followup sub-only.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I think what Higurashi does really well that I've yet to see another 'horror' anime do is the dread and paranoia that comes from such a setting. The first arc had me on the edge of my seat, and I stayed there during most of the run, except for a big part of the second season and the first season's end confrontation. Unfortunately once that dread, paranoia and mystery are gone, I find the show doesn't really hold itself well at all, but what can you do.
I've actually rewatched the first arc on its own several times after having seen the whole series. Just the way the show manipulates the atmosphere made it pretty enjoyable even while I knew what was really going on. The second arc does become pretty much redundant once you've seen its answer arc, and I've only managed to rewatch the latter once due to how gruesome and emotionally devastating it is. All of that was years ago though; I'm not sure I would want to rewatch any part of the show now, since I've become a lot more demanding towards animation quality since then, and the art style really hasn't aged well.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Low sales? Guess nothing can be done about that unless this and Season 2 sells well enough (will definitely sell well, but probably not enough).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3