• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ace Attorney

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meruru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
As someone who hasn't played the games, watching this has yet to convince me I've missed anything by not doing so. It's the most boring, uninspired, insipid attempt at a courtroom drama I've seen in ages. The OTT characters, reactions etc are depicted in such a banal manner that they lose any comedy value, & the cases have been kindergarten levels of logic & complexity. I get that its a kids game & I dare say if there were game mechanics to create tension & distract me from how stupid it all is (or, rather, make that stupidity more engaging), I might be able to look past that. But from the sounds of this review & others, they've basically just decided to adapt the cutscenes; & that's never a good idea.

Also, I don't think the grade schooler pretending to be a lawyer that is apparently the main character has shouted objection when it's appropriate, yet (two episodes in, mind you). I dare say he'll shout it at himself before that.

edit: Also, also; I'm pretty sure they're using music from Kindaichi Case Files in this.

I never got the impression it's supposed to be a kid's game. It seemed more like a game that is appropriate for all ages. We've seen the tutorial trial (which is SUPPOSED to be trivially easy because it's a TUTORIAL), and one day of the first real trial so far. The trials get gradually harder and harder. Also, the anime is almost certainly going to make it look more easy than the game actually is. It's fine if you don't like the anime, but don't make sweeping generalizations about things specific to the game after watching three episodes of the anime.

One sort of unfortunate thing is that they haven't explained the Ace Attorney world at all. It actually is supposed to take place in a dystopian future where they did away with all that annoying procedure and have trials basically just for the appearance. The prosecutors pretty much always win, except for Phoenix/Naruhodo because he's just that amazin. To me, Ace Attorney is hilarious because it's a parody of shounen tropes, it's very much to me like Ultimate Mop Daisuke from Anime News Nina, except with lawyers instead of janitors.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
I know it's mostly played for laughs, but the Ace Attorney world is home to one of the most depressingly dystopian legal systems I've ever seen. High-profile murder cases are generally over within a few days, the courts are totally cool with illegally-obtained evidence, and suspects are invariably guilty until proven innocent. If I were a lawyer in this universe, the stress would probably kill me.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I know it's mostly played for laughs, but the Ace Attorney world is home to one of the most depressingly dystopian legal systems I've ever seen. High-profile murder cases are generally over within a few days, the courts are totally cool with illegally-obtained evidence, and suspects are invariably guilty until proven innocent. If I were a lawyer in this universe, the stress would probably kill me.

that's the point.That's why it's so awesome seeing Phoenix winning over and over again against a seemingly impossible and unfair system to beat.

Though the games also got two spin-offs where you can taste the other side and play the prosecutor part as Edgeworth (the first game is pretty decent but the second one is actually one of the best games in the entire franchise,and obviously Capcom didn't localize it because they are Capcom... At least there's a well done fan-translation,though.)
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

Bolded for emphasis, but that's probably the aspect Ace Attorney is supposed to be parodying, as Japan has an astronomically high conviction rate, which Google says was a whopping 99% as of 2014, after the re-implementation of the jury system.

EDIT: There were also rumors of coerced confessions as recently as 2007, so I guess that's where the illegally obtained evidence comes in as part of the game's world. :/
stowrag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
By and large I agree with a lot of the review, although not necessarily how much these things make it a mediocre show. I'm also hopeful that things will get progressively better as time goes on.

Like, I loved the trials when playing the games, but the in between investigations were so boring comparatively. Once Maya and Phoenix develop their chemistry, I'll be interested to see what kind of banter gets written to fill in the gaps.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

You can blame this on Capcom USA since do to the changes they made in localization on the original games they've gotten people programmed to all those changes. To where they had Crunchyroll whip up an alt sub track so as to not confuse those people too much despite how logistically absurd (and dumb) it is.
Does Crunchyroll's alternate sub track also change the dialog? Aside from the names, the English script in the games is pretty silly with a lot of things like internet memes and pop cuture references. If they don't add those, then I could see why fans of the English games might find the anime a bit bland since those kinds of jokes and dialog were never there to begin with and the anime is going off the Japanese script.

-Stuart Smith
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Does Crunchyroll's alternate sub track also change the dialog? Aside from the names, the English script in the games is pretty silly with a lot of things like internet memes and pop cuture references. If they don't add those, then I could see why fans of the English games might find the anime a bit bland since those kinds of jokes and dialog were never there to begin with and the anime is going off the Japanese script.

-Stuart Smith

I honestly have no clue putting up with Saiban's cringe worthy at times English script is enough where the games are concerned.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

I don't actually recall many memes or pop culture references in the first game, though I can confirm that some puns are changed around in the alt track. The witness in the first trial is named Yamano, and Naruhodo yells something like "Hows that for yammering, Yamano-san?", whereas in the alt track, Phoenix yells "How's that, Mr. Sawhit...No, Mr. Didit?" Corny, but I'm guessing Yamano has some kind of pun to it that I don't get that's equally corny.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
We gonna see Oldbag next episode? Razz
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm really starting to regret picking this show to watch. Everything is a joke to them. I know it's a comedy-drama anime, but I expected Ace Attorney to be more seriously. Since I've never played the games, I don't know much about it.

Now I'm gonna power through the rest of this series since I'm a completionist and hope there are only 12 episodes.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
I'm really starting to regret picking this show to watch. Everything is a joke to them. I know it's a comedy-drama anime, but I expected Ace Attorney to be more seriously. Since I've never played the games, I don't know much about it.

The anime and video games pretty much have the same tone. It can be serious one minute and comic the next. If you're not in the mood for that kind of tonal whiplash you best bail out now.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Despite all, I think we have to hand to the anime staff for doing the "Press All" line very well. I'd rather have them show Phoenix thinking rather than black cutouts, but it was still pretty good.

Plus, this has been the best-looking episode so far, the direction was pretty solid overall, although I'm not really feeling Edgeworth's voice, and Phoenix with Yuuki Kaji sounds surprisingly well.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:

Now I'm gonna power through the rest of this series since I'm a completionist and hope there are only 12 episodes.

Based on what I have seen I really think they are going to be doing a complete adaptation of at least the first three games. Or at least major parts of the first and third games.
That would also (somewhat) explain the really terrible animation and direction quality to an extent.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not hating this, but I guess I don't understand the appeal to people who've played the game. If it's just the exact same cases and outcomes, with all the same beats, isn't it kind of boring knowing exactly what's going to happen next? Not knowing where it's going is why I'm able to go along with it, but if I'd played the games, I think I'd prefer to see the characters in new cases or something, since the trials don't seem all that great to me in the first place.

Maybe they fall flat because it's not like we're given the evidence to even guess where the contradictions are, like Conan or something, so I feel like I'm just a passenger along for the ride with no idea where we're going. If I'd already seen all the same scenery before, I don't think nostalgia glasses would be enough to keep me interested past a couple of episodes.
crx07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not hating this, but I guess I don't understand the appeal to people who've played the game.

Probably nostalgia. And as the one who played the first game, this anime doesn't appeal to me that much. Don't generalize.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8