• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Log Horizon Author Mamare Touno Found Guilty of Tax Evasion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
Comrades, I've deleted 3 off-topic posts. This is an anime site. Please do your political campaigning elsewhere.

Edit: That makes four now. Any post arguing the politics of taxation will be deleted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:26 am Reply with quote
Well, fines paid and he stays on the straight and narrow, and he should be fine. Hopefully this kind of thing doesn't impact on the possibility of future anime adaptions.
Isinfier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:53 am Reply with quote
I guess there will be many, many logs on his horizon in the immediate future. Cool
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Hopefully this kind of thing doesn't impact on the possibility of future anime adaptions.

Well, the first two seasons aired on NHK--that's public broadcasting, and even though NHK isn't funded out of income taxes, it seems to me like the tax-evasion thing would have to be extra awkward for their relationship...

I still think the weirdest thing about all of this is that the author involved is one known for working social studies lessons into his work.[/code]
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:41 am Reply with quote
I guess he should keep better records. Maybe use a database, database...
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
I guess he should keep better records. Maybe use a database, database...

Bravo, sir. Bravo. Very Happy

Incidentally, does anyone know whether the later books are holding together better than their equivalent anime? The second season had an avalanche of new characters and subplots that didn't get much development, and much as I'd like to see more, I was getting a little worried that the story was about to spin out of control. Touno put together a good primary, and then secondary cast, but adding still more feels a bit like tempting fate.
miken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
cant continue with its anime version if the author is in jail and unable to release anymore of the original source materials whether its the light novels or the manga.

actually he's most likely not going into prison...

Quote:
although the sentence is suspended for three years so he will not serve time if he remains on good behavior.

besides i don't see why he couldn't write in prison, he would have enough spare time anyway Mr. Green
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
In this particular case the Log Horizon anime aired on an NHK offshoot and the anime adaptation was almost certainly partly financed from funds collected from taxes. So Mamare certainly directly benefited in no small measure by the taxes he attempted to evade.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
I do think this will affect the possibility of another Maoyū season. I am on the fence with this. On the one hand, I sympathize with people who want another season, especially because I wouldn't mind seeing a dub for this.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
Awwwwwww this really sucks and this makes a chance for a 3rd season of LH really slim as it seems and the 2nd season even ended on a clifhanger aghhhhhhhhhhh Anime hyper
Helius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Man, and to think that this is the guy we trust to write about economics in anime...

Probably why he's good at it - you must know the system to cheat the system... getting caught notwithstanding Anime hyper
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
The way it sounds to me is that he either accidentally or intentionally didn't pay taxes he owed to the government. This was brought to his attention and he paid the back-taxes he owed at that time. However, the fact that he didn't pay them when he was supposed to pay them led to the government fining him, and that's the $63,000. Also, the court told him that if he doesn't do anything wrong for the next three years, he won't be sent to prison for not paying his taxes on time. Assuming he *doesn't* do anything wrong for the next three years, he won't go to prison and the matter will be closed.

I'd like to believe that he didn't intentionally not pay his taxes, but I have no idea if that's the case or not. I can easily believe, though, that with all the different sources of income he had going on, he might've gotten overwhelmed, or just plain missed something. He may have thought he could do it all himself and not gotten an accountant. Whatever the case may be, let's all hope that he can now focus his attention back on his writing. I, for one, would like to see how Log Horizon ends.
STUish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
The way it sounds to me is that he either accidentally or intentionally didn't pay taxes he owed to the government. This was brought to his attention and he paid the back-taxes he owed at that time. However, the fact that he didn't pay them when he was supposed to pay them led to the government fining him, and that's the $63,000. Also, the court told him that if he doesn't do anything wrong for the next three years, he won't be sent to prison for not paying his taxes on time. Assuming he *doesn't* do anything wrong for the next three years, he won't go to prison and the matter will be closed.

I'd like to believe that he didn't intentionally not pay his taxes, but I have no idea if that's the case or not. I can easily believe, though, that with all the different sources of income he had going on, he might've gotten overwhelmed, or just plain missed something. He may have thought he could do it all himself and not gotten an accountant. Whatever the case may be, let's all hope that he can now focus his attention back on his writing. I, for one, would like to see how Log Horizon ends.

my thoughts exactly, couldn't have said it better!

Also, i'd say the philosophy in LH largely takes a stance that is in conflict with self-profiteering actions like tax evasion. Not that he would actually act based on that, but here's hoping! Very Happy
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
*me waiting for more LH anime for the longest then reads the article*

It'll be years before we get more LH anime. Touno already said that. The first season adapts volumes 1-5. The second season adapts volumes 6-10. Volume 10 wasn't even finished being published on the web when the finale of the anime aired, let alone published. He just finished web-publishing volume 11 seven days ago. At the pace he tends to write, we only get 1-2 finished volumes per year. Needing 5 volumes for a season, that means that it'll be at least another 3 years, unless they adapt the side manga or the gaiden novel. Don't know about the gaiden novel, but the 3 side manga would be boring. Two are the events of the first season from a different POV, and the third is slice-of-life stuff that happened behind the scenes.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That said, Mamare should look into setting up an offshore company in say, Panama, that will handle international holdings for his properties. That's the way to actually get away with tax evasion.

Well, not Mossack Fonseca, as the Panama Papers have torn out the ground from under their feet. Then again, maybe he IS connected with them. Those guys are not done going through the leaked data.

Saku-dono wrote:
I hope I'm not being paranoid, but does this news spell bad for a possible sequel on Log Horizon? Please, Touno-sensei, be good and be relevant on your taxes from now on. Fire your incompetent accountants and do it yourself so they won't have the chance to purse some change.

Storytelling's not a line of work you go into unless you genuinely like it. He'll most likely serve his prison sentence (if he's put there) and continue writing, though it won't necessarily be more Log Horizon. He may even continue publishing things while in prison. His crime is nonviolent, so I doubt they'll restrict him access to things like a pen and paper. They may even give him a computer and/or a tablet, albeit offline.

Isinfier wrote:
I guess there will be many, many logs on his horizon in the immediate future. Cool

I must kick myself for not having come up with that.

Helius wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
Man, and to think that this is the guy we trust to write about economics in anime...

Probably why he's good at it - you must know the system to cheat the system... getting caught notwithstanding Anime hyper

It would've been hilarious if they explained, at one point how to cheat your taxes, like how one episode of King of the Hill demonstrated, step-by-step, how to manufacture meth.

I take it the author is going to be more careful with discussing economics in the future though, now that he's been caught and he's probably shaken up over it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3