• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Your Lie in April Blu-Ray [2016-06-06]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inopethflames

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
I can't even read reviews about this show without crying. I think this show is probably much much better for people that like classical music and or are knowledgable about it. Which I dunno about in Japan, but in America that means virtually no kids/teens will know or appreciate the music and might be bored or something. But disregarding that fact, the music is so beautiful and it makes the show so beautiful and tragic and it makes you just long for things to work out because the kousei/Kaori relationship is so deeply rooted in them, even though they make excuses and dance around it like teenagers would, you know if she had lived they would get married and have an amazing happy life, along with the music they could play, and the fact that never will happen now, I don't know what could be a more tragic or exasperating conclusion.

Also one part that I really love is when kousei and tsubaki are walking on the beach, they have the flashback of when they were younger and her footprints were bigger than his, and now in current times she's walking behind him and her feet go in smaller than his footprints, and the whole situation of possibly splitting up for different schools and all their history, that part I think is really great.

I just wish there could be some way for a sequel to this, i don't really even know how they could do it, "add" time and events during the early part of the show or something, without kousei and Kaori any sequel would just be totally different. I just want to watch the show over and over and over!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote
This review kind of touches upon my issues with the series...wait, no, it doesn't. I didn't like Kaori from the start, especially how she pushed her own situation on Kousei without caring or even wanting to understand why he quit music. When her illness finally came out- I would have to look at my original posts when that fully was because it took a long time because "audiences are dumb and have to be led" with once piece being dropped at a time-, my only thought was "Good."

I do take issue with mentioning Air or Kanon in the review; One is a magical curse, the other is severe head trauma with some hocus pocus obscuring the issue so it's not like one is realistic or the other is, uh, unrealistic? Anyway, they both create a "What are we going to do?" "There's nothing we can do though" situation. What you really meant was Clannad with its mysterious but practical illness; It does its job while holding out a glimmer of hope while remaining completely in the background until it's time to take center stage.

"What can we do?" "Ignore it... until it becomes a plot point." Yeah, I'm not a Clannad fan either. It doesn't even matter what is wrong with either of them; Their role is to die on cue with some sadness and acceptance. On the contrary, Air had the great scene where Haruko rages against the Heavens at how unfair the situation was and then crying for weeks afterwards. I can't imagine anyone in Your Lie in April caring enough to do half that.

I still haven't finished this series with four more episodes to go and nothing about this review is making me want to finish it. I could watch it just to see her go but I don't think of her as a villain- that would be Kousei's mother, yeech- but I do see her as an antagonist. Any chance of sympathy from me was lost when she pushed Kousei into that competition without bothering to learn why he stopped in the first place. Yeah, that was the first season, wasn't it?

Still better than Clannad's Nagisa as I can only think of her as a prop.

If the series was set after her most interesting point in her life, when she accepted her eventual fate then the point of the series should be her relationship with Kousei and the eventual reveal to him. It's not about that either because it's all back loaded like it was a second thought..

What was it about? From the ENCY:

Quote:
Plot Summary: Kōsei Arima was a piano prodigy until his mother died when he was eleven years old. The shock of losing her made him lose any interest in piano, and his life has felt monotonous ever since. Then, when he's fourteen, his childhood friend Tsubaki introduces him to her classmate Kaori, a free-spirited violinist. Her enthusiasm reignites his interest in music and in life.

Barring how badly written this is {"losing her made him lose", lovely}, I find the use of "monotonous" to be rather presumptuous. Neither Kousei or Tsubaki saw anything wrong in his life without music and describing it that way... wait, this whole paragraph is written by a fan rather than objectively? It does tend to leave out the desperation and manipulation.

In the end, did Kousei really want to play music or did the dying women in his life guilt him into playing? I love the way the story completely ignored this question.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Hello Fronzel.
Fronzel wrote:
Is it fair to separate to scoring when it's as much a part of a TV show as anything else? Does the fact that the scoring is not original matter?

I would say so. There is a difference, albeit not always a precise one, between a creative project that generates its own artistic assets and one that partially consists of pre-existing art objects. The former is an act of creation in all important respects, whereas the latter, to an extent, is an act of curation. Now, Your Lie in April certainly uses its curated pieces to great effect, but the strengths of such pieces lend much to our appreciation of the anime. Because their creation was unrelated to that of the show itself, it is not unfair to say that some of the praise we give it needs to be divided up.

That said, I don't think my views hold for shows that use curated music in a subversive, ironic or dissonant way. (Consider how From The New World or The Order To Stop Construction use Dvořák and Grieg respectively.) In these cases there is a great difference between the merits of the pieces and those of the scenes that use them, and on such occasions I am willing to grant a greater share of acclaim to the director rather than the composer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
They never explained what her illness was? They didn't have to. Its pretty obvious that what Kaori had was Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS for short. The symptoms all match.

From Wikipedia
Quote:
The disease usually starts around the age of 60 and in inherited cases around the age of 50.

I was pretty sure I hadn't heard of any young people with ALS. She may have had a neurological disease, but it is not likely it was ALS.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
"What can we do?" "Ignore it... until it becomes a plot point." Yeah, I'm not a Clannad fan either. It doesn't even matter what is wrong with either of them; Their role is to die on cue with some sadness and acceptance.

People called it "magical aids" or "clannaids" for a good reason.

Quote:
Any chance of sympathy from me was lost when she pushed Kousei into that competition without bothering to learn why he stopped in the first place. Yeah, that was the first season, wasn't it?

I called her a bully above but maybe abusive would have been a better word. When a character acts like they're lacking all empathy it makes it harder to relate to them. I don't recall them going over her motives, but I assume it was a desire to have him play on a stage with her before she croaks, as per the show's final twist.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I just loved the series because:
  1. Of the way that the classical music was employed;
  2. I just loved the 1st opener and the 2nd closer; and finally
  3. The farewell note.

Obviously, YMWV depending upon your disposition.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:
They never explained what her illness was? They didn't have to. Its pretty obvious that what Kaori had was Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS for short. The symptoms all match.

From Wikipedia
Quote:
The disease usually starts around the age of 60 and in inherited cases around the age of 50.

I was pretty sure I hadn't heard of any young people with ALS. She may have had a neurological disease, but it is not likely it was ALS.

For what it's worth Lou Gehrig died of the disease at age 37.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Quote:

which is still closer to 50 than to 16. She clearly died of plot complications.
MakoMori

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:09 am Reply with quote
I found the series very pleasant to watch and I adore the soundtrack, but I also wasn't quite as emotional as other viewers once I'd finished it.

Reading the comments above, I don't know really know how to feel about Kaori's character as a whole. I wouldn't call her a bully per se, but I wasn't a big fan of her either. Her arc works, in my opinion, but the payoff didn't pack as much of an emotional punch as it was probably intended to, at least not for me.
By the end, I was happy that I watched it (and I continue to listen to the soundtrack to this day) but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece.
The review touched on some very good points, and I might go and rewatch it some time...
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
Quote:

which is still closer to 50 than to 16. She clearly died of plot complications.

And Dr. Stephen Hawking was diagnosed in his early 20's, though right? So it's not impossible for young people to develop it. In fact, it's not unusual for young people to get an "old person's disease". I mean, I don't think it happens often, but it can happen.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
I suppose anything is possible. My point is that it is not necessary to attempt to shoehorn a real disease into the show when the author likely did not have anything specific in mind. There is a long literary tradition of young women and men dying of unspecified wasting disease dictated by plot concerns. Such unspecified conditions seldom actually match the progress of real disease.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2