• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Manga That Need An English Release Right Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
7? I´ll stick to my top 3 that never got any translation. 2 are fairly recent, 1 is not:

La La La 8,5/10
For fans of Bonnouji / her Nicoichi.

Ryuu - Ron 9/10
For fans of his Jin and 100% HBO seinen but this project would be very hard.

Steve Jobs 9/10
For fans of the bestseller (10/10) and Kakukaku Shikajika / her Thermae Romae.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cloud8100

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see Onidere over here. Always managed to crack me up. Also like to see Ibitsu by Haruto Ryou and Amagoi by Kobato Teika, a print release of Aphorism, the other Corpse Party manga (not really interested in masamune though), and Kamisama Dolls.

And a re-release of Battle Royale because I'm still missing volumes dammit.

Last edited by cloud8100 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I'd recommend Otouto no Otto, aka My Brother's Husband, for a spot on this list.

[SNIP]

I was going on the forum only to say this Razz
ShalaKairos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru desperately needs a brave publisher!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
One manga I really want released in English now is Glass Mask. I just adore this series. I have a few random volumes on my shelf, but sadly I can't read them; I only bought them to have them in my collection to at least say I own them. I doubt we'll ever see this in English though. Besides being 50 volumes long already - and as far as I'm aware it's still ongoing - it's also an older series. It also deals with the acting world, similar to Skip Beat!, but whereas Skip Beat! has gotten a large following, Glass Mask hasn't and likely wouldn't succeed here.

I also want to see the release of The Sleepy Residents of Birdcage Manor in English. It's a really short series, but it's one of my favorites. I love the art and characters, although there are some confusing elements to the manga as there's also a light novel that it's based on. Still, it doesn't distract too much from the story and you can infer some of those elements as you read it. I have my doubts the novels will be released in English, but I'd love it if the manga would.

Think of Ai Yazawa's work on this list made me think of another author with a similar conundrum for their series: Aya Shouoto. We've seen a few of her series here already - Kiss of the Rose Princess, The Demon Prince of Momochi House, and He's My Only Vampire - but there's another series of hers that hasn't seen a release state-side: Stray Love Hearts!. The series features her signature style, and has similar story elements to her other works, in particular Kiss of the Rose Princess. Of course, there's distinct differences between the two series, but if you liked Kiss of the Rose Princess (or any of Aya Shouoto's other works), I think you'll find this one enjoyable too... if we can get it released in English, I mean.

Finally, I'm not sure how well this fits with this article, as it was licensed and one volume of it was released before Tokyopop went under, but I would love to see Butterfly by Yu Aikawa rescued and released completely in English. I really enjoy this series: it's dark and filled with mystery, but it also has its moments of humility and comedy. It's also very short, with only five volumes I believe. I'm not usually a person that goes for series like this, but this one is a gem that I would love to own completely.
anpansparking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
AryaUshiromiya wrote:
No 7 Seeds? Preposterous!

I came here to mention that one too. I know it's probably wishful thinking though, since it's a fairly long josei manga.

I'd also like to see Chihayafuru and Ao Haru Ride licensed.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
The last few volumes of Swan. :/
More of a license rescue than a true-blue release, but dammit CMX, why did you let this one go? DDD:

I'm in a similar boat as Aura Ichadora; I bought up every volume I could find, and then when CMX announced its bankruptcy, bought up every remaining volume from libraries on Amazon. If the Japanese versions I got as a gift are any indication (I also bought them just to own them, despite not knowing a lick of Japanese), they went bust six volumes short of the ending.

There was a bid a few years ago to scanlate the deluxe Japanese editions (by the same, most prominent group that was scanlating Glass Mask, as fate would have it), but taking a gander at their website, it seems they're pretty much defunct at this point, and they only made it about two chapters in before stopping. So now my copies languish on the shelf, teasing me with their uber-melodrama and GORGEOUS ballet scenes. *sigh* I would give a lot to get Swan license rescued.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Hot take for series I'd want to see licensed are Holyland by Mori, Kouji as the idea of a super realistic street fighting manga would be an interesting read. Second is Mujaki no Rakuen by Uran as I like the time displaced hero aspect and the idea of getting a second chance at doing life over is always interesting to me.

Mitsudomoe by Sakurai, Norio basically Crayon Shin-chan split into three girls first season of the Anime was hilarious for me. Next up are Helen ESP by Kigitsu, Katsuhisa (Mangaka behind Franken Fran).

It's much happier than Franken Fran plus at what looks to be only two volumes it's not much of a commitment for an publisher and it gives some representation to someone with disabilities.

Finally Tokkou Tennyo ( Kamikaze Angel Running On The Wild Street) by Misaki, Hayashi about a Yankee girl (love me some Yankee girls blame Arisa from Fruits Basket for that ) who wants revenge on the homely guy who stole her first kiss and a relationship ensues for thirty volumes.

Honorable mentions go to Living Dead! (Cute monster girl and black humor) and Hanza Sky which is about a juvenile delinquent who tries to reform for love/ marital arts series. Also all of Grappler Baki (I missed that one first time around) including the spin-offs

Not much Josei or Shojo I know in fact a good amount come from Shonen Champion Magazine as they have a lot of good "old school" hot blooded Shonen titles mixed with weird stuff that you don't see in Jump, Magazine, or Sunday. So I always try to give them a little light.

Last edited by Parsifal24 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:12 am; edited 2 times in total
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a trend, or whatever you want to call it, where one or two series out of a mangaka's works will be licensed while the rest languish in obscurity.

I quite agree with this, and I made this point twice on my blog. I think this is especially true for shojo and josei manga, which are less likely to sell in large numbers and thus publishers may not be willing to take chances licensing even from largely known and respected authors. I've always wondered how Nana sold - I know it's critically acclaimed, but since most of Yazawa's works haven't been brought here, it does beg the question. I wonder, though, if that's because many of her other works are considered too old to be successful here - most of them are from the early to late 90s. What little older shojo series we are seeing come to the U.S are extremely old classics from the 70s and 80s. I've always been curious about Gokinjo Monogatori, which came out in Japan around the same time as Marmalade Boy and Hana Yori Dango but got left behind. And speaking of Hanadan, none of Yoko Kamio's other works have been brought here, which is a shame. But the author I've most been curious about is Chie Shinohara, who has managed to win the Shogakukan Manga award twice yet only Red River has come stateside (and sadly gone out of print).
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I have too many series to count that I want to come out over here. I suppose if I had to narrow it down to seven, though: Fist of the North Star, Kinnikuman, Baki, Ring ni Kakero, Devilman, Ashita no Joe, and Golden Gash... Really, there's so many manga from the '60s, '70s, '80s, and all the way up through today that deserve releases here. There's so many good creators that were active in these decades. Buronson, Masami Kurumada, Go Nagai, Keiko Takemiya, Moto Hagio, Akira Miyashita, Keisuke Itagaki, Shotaro Ishinomori, Mitsuteru Yokoyama, Ikki Kajiwara, Ken Ishikawa, Yoshihhiro Takahashi, and these are just some the big names that came to mind. I know some of them have a few works that have been scanned or published here, but they've done a lot more, and the ones that failed deserve another chance; this is the land of dreams we're in right now, after all. That loli manga Kodomo no Jikan is on track to pass is Kickstarter funding goal. If that thing can do it, anything can.

I would've mentioned Makoto Raiku, but, honestly speaking, his second major work is wrapping up publication here soon, and Golden Gash has pretty good chances of getting fully published here, considering it only stopped because of Raiku's legal battle with Shogakukan.

Merxamers wrote:
The second would be World Embryo. I consider this to be a Madoka Magica-level deconstruction of the shonen battle manga genre, and I like it a lot. It's emotional moments hit very hard, and I don't think anyone else has attempted a manga like this. Again, like GlG, this one is kinda long, so i don't expect this to be picked up either.

While I question whether or not this series is a good deconstruction considering all Madoka Magica was things other magical girl series did better before it, I'm sure it's good fun. Oddly enough, though, it is licensed; Dark Horse picked it up, but has yet to release anything.

Gemnist wrote:
ELFEN LIED!!!

Considering how popular the anime was/is here, I'm honestly shocked the manga never got brought over. Someone has to pick it up at some point.

Last edited by GVman on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

While I question whether or not [World Embryo] is a good deconstruction considering all Madoka Magica was things other magical girl series did better before it, I'm sure it's good fun. Oddly enough, though, it is licensed; Dark Horse picked it up, but has yet to release anything.

Well, try not to judge it too harshly before reading it, lol. I feel like it directly confronts a lot of the creepy tropes shonen manga use, and shows them for how uncomfortable and wrong they are. I can't really give anything away without spoilers, but I stand by my opinion.

I had no idea it was licensed! I know Dark Horse had announced over a year ago that it would release omnibus volumes of Blade of the Immortal, but no updates have been coming about that one either; I think maybe they're just REALLY slow about their releases. I'll keep an ear out; I would definitely pick up World Embryo if it was released.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Well, try not to judge it too harshly before reading it, lol. I feel like it directly confronts a lot of the creepy tropes shonen manga use, and shows them for how uncomfortable and wrong they are. I can't really give anything away without spoilers, but I stand by my opinion.

Interesting. I'll have to give it a look.

It was licensed quite a few years ago, apparently. Man, I was just starting my junior year of high school then. But anyway, I don't know why a single volume hasn't come out yet. Maybe Moriyama changed publishers?
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-27/dark-horse-adds-daisuke-moriyama-world-embryo-manga
MugenPancake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
"Seven Manga That Need An English Release Right Now" Yeah how about you re-title this misleading list to "Seven Love Manga That Need An English Release Right Now"
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
cl-shojo wrote:
And speaking of Hanadan, none of Yoko Kamio's other works have been brought here, which is a shame.

Actually, Viz quietly released Crown of Thorns by Yoko Kamio digitally. It's two volumes and really pretty good. They also released Nana Haruta's Chocolate Cosmos the same way. I'm hoping that if enough people read them digitally they'll consider a print release.

More generally speaking, this was an incredibly difficult article to write. I did veer more on the female-oriented side because that's where I see the lack in content, but by no means are all of them love stories: Gisele Alain is slice-of-life, Last Quarter is a ghost story/mystery, Rash is a comedy, F. Compo is family drama, and Georgie is historical fiction. The only strict romances on the list are Flowers for Seri, Candy, and Kiken Mania, so less than half any way you slice it.

The other reason I tended to avoid shounen is because they're generally too long to even be considered. I'd love to see Beelzebub get an English release or City Hunter/Angel Heart, but that really felt like too much of a long shot. (I'd also love Glass Mask, but yeah, not gonna happen.) You'll notice that the longest series I mentioned was 14 volumes; all the others are five or under. (I was hard put not to throw Seven Seeds and Tokyo Crazy Paradise in, though.)
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
While I appreciate an article like this being written, it feels like all of the manga fall under the same subgenres and tropes. I would have appreciated more diversity in the choices beyond what was presented here.

Teppu, World Embryo, Elfin Lied, Tokkyo Tennyo... just highlighting those four would have brought in enough variety to satisfy everyone wanting an unlicensed manga to come over to our side of the Pacific. This article mostly satisfies one audience and one audience alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7