• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
KonoSuba TV Anime's 2nd Season Premieres in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Ok you guys are just blind fanboying. I really liked Konosuba, but don't pretend the visual quality is anything but subpar. It's not "derpy" or "comedy", it's low quality. Compare the visuals in the show to the LN artwork. Hell, even in the first episode, there were multiple instances of the same scenes being reused over and over again. If a character is not in the foreground, it was out of focus.

Why did the show only have 10 episodes, with one of them being an awkward recap of an event that happened previously but off-screen? The producers expected nothing more than a cheap LN advertisement, so they didn't care enough to give any more than a bare bone budget. That's all.

For god's sake, compare this this shot to any scene in the show. Hell, compare it to anything that DEEN ever made.

Hahahaha lol! You are funny dude. Konosuba is a COMEDY show. At least get the fact right.

Hibike! Euphonium is barely a comedy show. At least please compare to real COMEDY show done by Kyoani like Lucky Star or Nichijou. I think its you who are blind fanboying. I dont really care about Konosuba original material. Really. Only original adaptation elitist mad about this. Keep barking dude.

kinghumanity wrote:
Hell, even in the first episode, there were multiple instances of the same scenes being reused over and over again. If a character is not in the foreground, it was out of focus.

This is normal in anime especially comedy and casual genre. For example the people drawn at background usually dont moving but it is a fast scene so you barely notice it. This is funny because I remembered got one forumer here take a still frame shot from One Punch Man and claimed it was bad. That scene is fast moving btw.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Ok you guys are just blind fanboying. I really liked Konosuba, but don't pretend the visual quality is anything but subpar. It's not "derpy" or "comedy", it's low quality. Compare the visuals in the show to the LN artwork.

Most of the "low quality" (Obviously wasn't) visuals were intentional. Anyone that's familiar with the character designer's work would know that's how he draws his characters. That's his style.
https://twitter.com/yuyucow/status/697555407435386881
https://twitter.com/yuyucow/status/707705292918792192

Not everything has to look 100% on-model.
Quote:
Hell, even in the first episode, there were multiple instances of the same scenes being reused over and over again. If a character is not in the foreground, it was out of focus.

Are you talking about the bath scenes? Because those were clearly done intentionally.
Quote:
Why did the show only have 10 episodes, with one of them being an awkward recap of an event that happened previously but off-screen? The producers expected nothing more than a cheap LN advertisement, so they didn't care enough to give any more than a bare bone budget. That's all.

Were you not aware? Most of the adaptation are just an advertisement.
Quote:
For god's sake, compare this this shot to any scene in the show. Hell, compare it to anything that DEEN ever made.

Blegh Konosuba would be awful if it were animated like Hibike Euphoniem and wouldn't even be half as hilarious as it is right now. It would lose all its charm.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Ok you guys are just blind fanboying. I really liked Konosuba, but don't pretend the visual quality is anything but subpar. It's not "derpy" or "comedy", it's low quality. Compare the visuals in the show to the LN artwork. Hell, even in the first episode, there were multiple instances of the same scenes being reused over and over again. If a character is not in the foreground, it was out of focus.

Animation and length don't make a show good. It's writing and characters, and sometimes extended cinematic techniques.

I'm not denying that Konosuba's animation is bad and off-model, but that's one of the things that makes it unique; its a good show despite having bad animation.

Yeah, it's Deen. They do bad animation. What of it? The comedy in the series is more important,

Although the recap was kinda annoying. Maybe an OVA can fix it?
Daniel Dormer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Who cares, we got a season 2 coming yeyeyeyye. Megumin best loli
crx07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
So can we PLEASE have some decent art and animation this time? Season 1 sold 10k+, there's no reason to be stingy.
Why couldn't KyoAni or A1 have picked up this show instead of trash DEEN....
Don't blame DEEN as a whole. Blame the character designer Koichi Kikuta (this is the first anime that he took the job as a character designer), director Takaomi Kanasaki (Tokyo Ravens, Is this a Zombie?) for approving to use those wacky designs, the DEEN management for hiring those two, and the producers (not the animators, the businessmen) for failing to get big budget from sponsors because big budget means higher odds of hiring more expensive experienced animators.
kinghumanity wrote:
I really liked Konosuba, but don't pretend the visual quality is anything but subpar. It's not "derpy" or "comedy", it's low quality.
Idk if it's deliberate or not, but many people perceive that the visuals improve the comedy, so either way the animators are successful.
Quote:
Compare the visuals in the show to the LN artwork. Hell, even in the first episode, there were multiple instances of the same scenes being reused over and over again. If a character is not in the foreground, it was out of focus.
Why did the show only have 10 episodes, with one of them being an awkward recap of an event that happened previously but off-screen? The producers expected nothing more than a cheap LN advertisement, so they didn't care enough to give any more than a bare bone budget.
We cannot totally blame DEEN since the show is given low budget. I actually liked what they did because I believe that's the best quality you can provide for a low-budget show. Hire a solid director and a solid series composer to compensate for the expected bad quality drawings. Then hire cheap rookie character designer and have him design easy-to-draw funny-looking characters so they easily subcontract the drawing job to cheap mediocre or rookie animators. And reuse scenes over and over and put the camera off-focus sometimes to avoid drawing more money-burning animation frames. And instead of having 12-13 eps, cut it into 10 eps to increase budget per ep. Also the VA's. Megumin and Kazuma are cheap. Darkness is expensive but her name is popular. Aqua is both cheap and popular.

Two big stories (backstory of Wiz and Kazuma's friends from ep9) are being left out from the LN which can be animated for 2-3 eps (one for Wiz and the remaining to the friends). If they have given proper budget, they can animate those stories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2