• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Reveals Sonic Mania, New 3D Sonic Game For 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epicwizard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for the new 3D Sonic game and Sonic Mania! Very Happy
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:

Please no! I am glad we now have Sonic games for PC. That would've been out of question if they sold it to Nintendo or Sony and we would be back where we were when Sega had its own console, in period of Sonic games exclusive for one console. I definitely don't want to see that era again.

People tend the forget that Everquest & Star Wars Galaxies were published by Sony.

Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
No matter what sonic does he f#cks up people in the youtube comment where going crazy when sonic mania was announced they prematurely raged over the fact that theres no 3d sonic games and the 2d fans raging over the 3d fanboys wanting sa3. Then they announce gen 2(Im assuming) and people complain about how its not anything new or sa3. Sega tries to cater to the 2d and 3d fans but still ends up getting flack when NONE of them have even played the game. This fan-base really is just the worst.

Strange isn't it?
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Mogtaki wrote:
theNightster wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:
Please let this 'resistance' be the Knothole Freedom Fighters from SatAM/Archie Comics.

I doubt Sega even has the rights to use the characters from the Archie comics, but if they do I hope it's a dimension hopping kind of story

Sega controls what the Archie Comics show and tell the writers what parts of the storyline need changed if need be, even what is restricted.

So yeah, Sega does have the rights to use the characters as they're the ones who originally give approval, just not Ken Penders's bunch (but at this point you would have to be mad to want to use them).

Since the Reboot and think SEGA has full ownership of any character that's been appearing in the comic. I feel like SEGA really should have tried to do a Freedom Fighters game instead of Sonic Boom. They could have had a really good 3D beat'm up type game, witch I think what they wanted to do with Rise of Lyric but it got bogged down with trying to make it play like a main sonic series game with 2D and Run sections.

I keep hearing people say the reason why SEGA won't do a Freedom Fighters because they aren't well know outside the US, witch I think is bull because at least the character are known and have a fan base to start with unlike what Boom had. I would kill for a good Archie Sonic game by PlatinumGames.

I always want to play western style RPG Sonic game where you create your own character like in a Dragon Age or an MMO. You put together 'What's it" animal creature and get up join a Freedom Fighter group that fights Eggman. You go on missions with a team of characters to fight his forces ending up teaming up with different Sonic characters. It's different but I think it would be fun.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:
I keep hearing people say the reason why SEGA won't do a Freedom Fighters because they aren't well know outside the US, witch I think is bull because at least the character are known and have a fan base to start with unlike what Boom had.

The difference being that most of Sonic Boom's characters with the exception of Sticks and the main villain were already established characters from the games who audiences had been familiar with for years. Whereas the Freedom Fighters cast is only really familiar to people who have either watched the TV show or read the comic books that was adapted from it which isn't every Sonic fan. That's not to say they couldn't introduce them in a future game. But it would create a very intresting question of how to integrate these characters into a video game given that they're not like for example like the Ninja Turtles who practically are known to everyone due to being in various movies,4 TV shows, & countless video games.

ReifuTD wrote:
I would kill for a good Archie Sonic game by PlatinumGames.

After the harsh reception of their Korra and TMNT game you might want to think that over.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

ReifuTD wrote:
I would kill for a good Archie Sonic game by PlatinumGames.

After the harsh reception of their Korra and TMNT game you might want to think that over.
but they also did a pretty fun Transformers game and Metal gear rising was awesome as well so it could go either way
TheWolfhart

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
"From the team that brought you the only two good Sonic games in the last 10 years."

"Join the resistance against Sonic Boom."
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
How many Sonic games are they going to release here? Bring PSO2 out
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:31 am Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
No matter what sonic does he f#cks up people in the youtube comment where going crazy when sonic mania was announced they prematurely raged over the fact that theres no 3d sonic games and the 2d fans raging over the 3d fanboys wanting sa3. Then they announce gen 2(Im assuming) and people complain about how its not anything new or sa3. Sega tries to cater to the 2d and 3d fans but still ends up getting flack when NONE of them have even played the game. This fan-base really is just the worst.

The thing with Sonic fans is that many of them have a very specific idea of what they want a Sonic game to be like, the most common ones mutually exclusive with each other, and get upset when Sonic becomes something other than what they had imagined.

The Sonic Adventure 3 group is particularly a confounding one, as what they seem to want is a Sonic game with that name, but beyond that, what they want their theoretical Sonic Adventure 3 to actually have is incredibly nebulous. Not to mention that Sonic Unleashed is already the third Sonic Adventure game, at least in Japan where it's known as Sonic World Adventure.

Mogtaki wrote:
theNightster wrote:

I doubt Sega even has the rights to use the characters from the Archie comics, but if they do I hope it's a dimension hopping kind of story

Sega controls what the Archie Comics show and tell the writers what parts of the storyline need changed if need be, even what is restricted.

So yeah, Sega does have the rights to use the characters as they're the ones who originally give approval, just not Ken Penders's bunch (but at this point you would have to be mad to want to use them).

In addition, some of the SatAM/Archie characters appeared in Sonic Spinball, and as far as I know, the SEGA people never had to ask permission.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep the Archie canon separate from game canon though. Part of why the Sonic fanbase is so shattered to atomic pieces was because Sonic canons weren't kept separated in the early 90's and allowed to intermingle
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
In addition, some of the SatAM/Archie characters appeared in Sonic Spinball, and as far as I know, the SEGA people never had to ask permission.

Let us not forget that Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts were prominent stars of Doctor Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine! Such a continuity will always be dear to me, even though I was quite fond of the numerous characters unique to the British incarnation of Sonic The Comic as a child.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AkaRed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I've never been fond of SataM and any animated adaptation of Sonic aside Sonic-X because none of them portrayed Super Sonic.

If ever they include character from SatAM/Archie I wish they will be different in personnality.

Aside of I wish they make a clear canonical Timeline and World Map of the canon game franchise.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
I've never been fond of SataM and any animated adaptation of Sonic aside Sonic-X because none of them portrayed Super Sonic.

For what it's worth Super Sonic wasn't exactly a recurring element in all the games.

Even the 2nd game where he first debuted had his appearance as being optional whereas later games incorporated it as Sonic's go to method for dealing with the final boss the only exception being Colors and I think Secret Rings.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Let us not forget that Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts were prominent stars of Doctor Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine! Such a continuity will always be dear to me, even though I was quite fond of the numerous characters unique to the British incarnation of Sonic The Comic as a child.

True too. I had forgotten about that game, for some reason. It was a weird creation, based on Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and using a lot of one-off characters from that show.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Even the 2nd game where he first debuted had his appearance as being optional whereas later games incorporated it as Sonic's go to method for dealing with the final boss the only exception being Colors and I think Secret Rings.

That's correct--Sonic became Darkspines Sonic at the end of Sonic and the Secret Rings, just as Sonic became Excalibur Sonic in Sonic and the Black Knight.

In addition, Sonic never went super in the story for Sonic Lost World (either version), with Sonic defeating the final boss as his normal blue self. Like with Sonic Colors, Super Sonic was simply an optional way to finish stages.

The Sonic Boom sub-series also does not feature Super Sonic due to the total absence of Chaos Emeralds in those games. (Canonically, the Chaos Emeralds don't even exist in the Sonic Boom universe.)
stowrag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
Mania looks fun, and hopefully it'll set a trend. Also wouldn't mind an eventual NX release. I was on the fence about Generations 2 (if that's what it is) until I realized what a complete waste of potential the first generations was. There's still a lot to mine there and maybe now they won't feel obligated to have 4 different variations of a city level, (Day city, night city, foreign city, city on fire...) plus 3 uninspired hedgehog clone boss fights.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
stowrag wrote:
Mania looks fun, and hopefully it'll set a trend. Also wouldn't mind an eventual NX release. I was on the fence about Generations 2 (if that's what it is) until I realized what a complete waste of potential the first generations was. There's still a lot to mine there and maybe now they won't feel obligated to have 4 different variations of a city level, (Day city, night city, foreign city, city on fire...) plus 3 uninspired hedgehog clone boss fights.

I actually quite enjoyed the rival battles. They all felt very different despite all being running bosses with small targets.

Definitely too many city levels in Generations though. I wonder if they'll take from the handhelds this time (besides Water Palace). There's a lot of potential in there too, from Robotnik Winter in Sonic Triple Trouble to Cyber Track in Sonic Advance 3.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I would shoot a huge load in my pants if Advance 3's Cyber Track got a 3D remodeling. Advance 3 is really underrated.

I'm not sure how keen I am on bringing back Classic Sonic again. There was what, one main Sonic title after Generations, some underwhelming spin-off games, and now two anniversary games paying lipservice to the Genesis era? I'll always remember the interview for Sonic 4 that Takashi Iizuka gave and his comments about that game's use of Modern Sonic, despite being a direct sequel to S3&K. He just just shut the door on that conversation completely; the characters were redesigned in 1998 and that's what they look like now. But now it seems we're grasping on to the past as hard as we can. Oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3