• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Column - Mucha Wuxia

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Is ANN being outright paid to talk this series up? Just seems to be getting unusually favorable press and coverage and "interest" articles like this almost as if it's contracted PR work. Anyway somehow I don't think I'm missing out much. I've seen a couple of Pili Puppet Theater things before and while highly amusing in a camp sort of sense (The constant quick cut thing they do and ultra fast motion cinematography is bloody hysterical to me as is the zany dialogue) kind of remains just that and I've been enjoying stuff like Stranger Things, Game of Thrones, dips in the lake and gaming with friends just find that I don't figure the one thing missing in my summer is more content by some of the most over-marketed people in this industry right now.

Anyway the martial arts discussion here has been really interesting as was Mike ultimately taking his article in a different direction than just about any other current ANN writer would (always appreciate his insight into older things, kung fu, robot genres and that sort of stuff that just nobody in his position ever seem to know or appreciate anymore) so thank you for that folks, but I just see no further need for pumping Sony and Gen Urobuchi's (I don't think he gets to define what is and isn't anime either, he's not that important) tires up any further than they've already been pumped up in recent years which might as well have them ready to explode from over-inflation and sense of self importance. I'm sure there's somebody else out there that deserves a turn once and a while and no I'm not referring to the sites other key paid sponsor Funimation.
開明獸

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
Big Kahuna wrote:
Kaiming:

Good posts. Thanks.

You are correct that the influence of Bruce Lee on not just Asian pop culture, but as the zeitgeist of his time, cannot be overstated. I do however want to point out that when it comes to cinematic influence, it's a two way street. While you can see the effect of Bruce Lee on Hokuto no Ken or Jackie Chan on Dragonball, two benchmark shonen action series, samurai films had an unmistakable role in the development of the new wave wuxia movies since the 50s.

So great was the influence of jidai films and Kurosawa that I would go on to say that without it, King Hu's distinct visual motif for all wuxia movies to come would have looked very different; without Zatoichi, the One Armed Swordsman might have come in both arms; and without Sugata Sanjiro, the action in all the old B&W Wong Fei Hung movies (about 90 of them) might be a lot less athletic, stepping aside for fantasy wuxia which had been the main stay of martial arts movies since the 1920s instead of pushing the envelope. Indeed, it is easier to do fantasy wuxia as all it needs are camera tricks and special effects (i.e. power beams and rays usually drawn directly onto the celluloids), requiring far less actual martial skills and athletic prowess from the stars themselves. This last point is especially important since it is these Wong Fei Hung movies that had the greatest effect on the young Bruce Lee. So much so that he went on to invite Shek Kin, who always plays the villain in every B&W Wong Fei Hung movie (think Republic serials), to be the main villain Khan in Enter the Dragon.

The world is indeed a small place, as it just goes around and around. While it's totally cool to influence (lift if you like) by other filmmakers, genre, or culture, I have big problems when that influence comes in the form of censorship from a self-serving totalitarian opaque government who's more interested in protecting their own and the powerful. That's why I found so many of these wuxia, or xianxia, or kung fu films coming out of the PRC and Hong Kong so hard to stomach. It's not like old school kung fu films didn't have its xenophobic moments, i.e. Japanese characters always being villains in 70s movies, but with good reason given memory of the war and atrocities were still within the memory of the living. However, 40 years later, they are still doing it, only this time I found it incredulous as majority of these guys/ladies weren't even born during WW2. Mostly, I can't sense the heart of the filmmakers in these new films as I used to. In the past, even a bad film was enjoyable (i.e. crazy Cat III exploitation movies like The Untold Story or Daughter of Darkness or The Ebola Syndrome.... they were totally gross, completely camp, unapologetic bad taste, but they were also genuine and 100% fun). Now all I feel are cowards trying to please / placate the PRC government censors. It's always Chinese the good guys foreigners the bad guy. Rah rah rah go China.

Well, nationalism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Great points on the samurai films, which is actually a great analogy for Wuxia as well since its decline was also obviously story fatigue and the key actors growing old, which is exactly what I see in Wuxia films as well.

The nationalism thing is totally true but aside from that it is stupid to go deeper into politics on this forum, one should simply point out that it's hard to say Chinese should get over ww2 when things like Japan appointing a far right minister of defense that actively claim Nanking and sex slaves never happened. If something remotely comparable happen in Germany all hell breaks loose.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Is ANN being outright paid to talk this series up? Just seems to be getting unusually favorable press and coverage and "interest" articles like this almost as if it's contracted PR work.

Nope (I hope you were just being sarcastic). The only articles on ANN that are paid for are the "advertorials." I don't think we've made a penny off of Thunderbolt Fantasy in fact. Crunchyroll hasn't run any advertising whatsoever for it. Not that it would have any effect on the coverage if we did...

Thunderbolt Fantasy articles don't even do great numbers for us. I think the staff just write about it because they find it interesting or fun to write about.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention though. I can't have them writing about "interesting stuff," it doesn't pay the bills. I'll make sure they stop and get back to writing about Attack on Titan, Naruto, Pokemon Go and Sword Art Online.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2