• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon Blu-Ray part 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

I think outrages barely starts to describe it. Theron is one of the few reviewers I read on this website; wanting him gone because he does not obediently follow the other reviewers opinions? Now I understand why journalism in the USA has become nothing but blatantly pandering to a demographic.

Okay, let's stop this right here.

There was never any chance of anybody being fired from ANN for their opinion on Cross Ange, Ever. It was never even remotely insinuated, except in this thread, by you guys. So let's not act like it was ever a thing that was being considered or happens in media journalism or anything just because people in here speculated that wouldn't it be a shame if it did happen. Because it was never going to. Let's just stop that groundless ANN conspiracy nonsense before it starts for once.

God, I hate Cross Ange threads.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
@Paul D. Atreides I'd rather stay away from the question myself, but against my better judgement, I guess I will oblige. The problem isn't that there is rape or sexual assault per se, though most people are properly disgusted by such acts. The issue in this case is the portrayal of it, specifically portraying it in a titillating way, i.e. in a way that makes it seem that the creators want you to find it sexually appealing or think some will. And I do not begrudge those who think that illustrates poor judgement and taste on the part of the creators. Murder does not have these issues. While there are a few villains portrayed as being sexually excited by murder, they are always portrayed as deviant psychopaths, thus communicating that such beliefs are unacceptable. Making rape titillating fails to communicate the act's unacceptability to say the least.

It's a bit late now but I for one never thought that ANN would ever fire someone over their opinion of a show. I have never seen any evidence to support such an idea and it is insulting to entertain such an idea. I have done a disservice not speaking up about it sooner.

Despite being a participant in such forums, I can not find fault in hating Cross Ange threads. On behalf of the participants, I apologize both for what has been said and frankly what will probably be said. That doesn't make it ok but I just wanted to communicate I understand that your job is made more difficult by having to deal with some of the truly awful stuff spewed under this topic.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Really liked the review. I think you really hit on the main selling points being Ange's character and how zany the adventure was. Oh, and the really cool dragon mechs.

Paul D. Atreides wrote:
I'll probably step on a landmine here, but I'll go ahead and do it anyway:

Why is it that people are more upset with sexual abuse than murder in fiction?

Probably the same reason you can show pretty graphic violence on tv but god forbid there be any female nipples. Violence = ok. Sex = bad. Well, not the exact same in that I think for anime people are pretty tolerant of standard nudity, but I do think it is related to that stigma on sexual content and the general acceptance of pure violence. There were some really gruesome deaths in Cross Ange, but nobody bats an eye.

I'm also not sure exactly how many are actually upset at these things. Seems like a minority of really loud voices. I didn't realize this at the time, but apparently there was already massive raging about the evil of Cross Ange before the first episode had aired meaning almost nobody actually saw it yet. If Cross Ange was viewed to be as disgusting as some people on the internet say it is, would the US release have gotten the attention it did? Shouldn't that have relegated it to sub only with basically no promotion done?

Also, the tin foil hat theories going around made me smirk.

zrnzle500 wrote:
While there are a few villains portrayed as being sexually excited by murder, they are always portrayed as deviant psychopaths, thus communicating that such beliefs are unacceptable. Making rape titillating fails to communicate the act's unacceptability to say the least.

The problem with that logic is that if the rape was being done / attempted by a clearly deviant psychopath, you're saying people wouldn't flip out because they don't when deviant psychopaths murder. That isn't what happens. People flipped out in SAO II and that was clearly the case (actually the first season too). Embryo is also pretty clearly a deviant psychopath. You can say its about the fan service aspect, but fan service applies to more than just sex. Gratuitous violence is fan service too. So, no, I don't think how rape is done actually matters. You can pretty much guarantee some people will be very vocally upset, but hey, different people respond to the same thing differently.

And not necessarily as a direct response to you, but on that tangent, there are people who react the same way to the extreme violence in media as well. They just don't seem as vocal. That might be because they're fewer, idk. You can't really tell how popular opinions like that are on the internet. I mean I've been on forums for incredibly popular games filled with nothing but complaints where clearly the majority is having fun with it.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While I wouldn't rank it among the best series I have seen in recent years, there are few that I have found equally entertaining.

Is also my opinion.
The series was a surprise for me but after the first episode i got hooked.

The tactic of Shock and awe in create Ange worked just fine.
Create a spoiled princess and them destroy her everything so she start from zero and becoming a real heroine.
And after all the twists the ending is satisfying.

After all this time im still amazed how controversial the show is in North America.
In no other place i find that much criticism of this anime.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

I think that is amusing, since it makes it sound like Cross Ange was the first anime to contain such elements. Mind you, I am not into female abuse (which is permissive nowadays in hentai), but there are quite a lot of other titles before this one about rape, one of which I could not get into but that zac (and hope) praised so much (wont say the title, but I say that pedoBEAR approved it) just because it was done by a famous director.

Okay, with Yurikuma, which is what i assume you are talking about since you seem to want to be obtuse, they do try to make it thematic. Here, it feels more like exploitation due to the camera and the framing.

As for my own opinions, I hate Embryo. I utterly see him as a weak villain. He feels more like a Red Pill reading "a person I disagree with politically" (I use quotations because there are actual issues that people are talking about that the red pill seem to avoid) who wants to use women as objects and wants to conquer one because of her independence ironically stripping her of the quality that makes her attractive. Fights weren't good with too many repeat frame and the humor got dull with Tusk falling into a crouch feeling like more a time keeping tool than a piece of comedy.

Frankly, the only redeeming factor is the hymns which are actually good.

P.S. Yes, I brought sexual politics into this, No i do think it's applicable since the show seems to revel in sexuality in what i feel is immature
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
There was never any chance of anybody being fired from ANN for their opinion on Cross Ange, Ever. It was never even remotely insinuated, except in this thread, by you guys. So let's not act like it was ever a thing that was being considered or happens in media journalism or anything just because people in here speculated that wouldn't it be a shame if it did happen. Because it was never going to. Let's just stop that groundless ANN conspiracy nonsense before it starts for once.

God, I hate Cross Ange threads.

On behalf of all ignorant commentators I sincerely apologise. I did not mean to cause a ruckus or start a fight with anyone.

That thing I said about firing someone was just some crazy idea that came to my mind back when the show started. But I know better now and I would never accuse anyone here of censorship.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first half of this but never finished the series as it felt like it tried to do too many things and had certain fan service elements that made no sense with some of the characters and their given motivations and previous characterization.

Well haveing finished it now I didn't find it that bad the themes are pretty stock Shonen Action and some of the costume design is impractical and Embryo is a deservedly loathsome villain. Not the greatest but not the worst either. Ange's charcter arc sturck me as the strongest part of the series.

Last edited by Parsifal24 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Probably the same reason you can show pretty graphic violence on tv but god forbid there be any female nipples. Violence = ok. Sex = bad. Well, not the exact same in that I think for anime people are pretty tolerant of standard nudity, but I do think it is related to that stigma on sexual content and the general acceptance of pure violence. There were some really gruesome deaths in Cross Ange, but nobody bats an eye.

I'm also not sure exactly how many are actually upset at these things. Seems like a minority of really loud voices. I didn't realize this at the time, but apparently there was already massive raging about the evil of Cross Ange before the first episode had aired meaning almost nobody actually saw it yet. If Cross Ange was viewed to be as disgusting as some people on the internet say it is, would the US release have gotten the attention it did? Shouldn't that have relegated it to sub only with basically no promotion done?

Also, the tin foil hat theories going around made me smirk.

[...]

The problem with that logic is that if the rape was being done / attempted by a clearly deviant psychopath, you're saying people wouldn't flip out because they don't when deviant psychopaths murder. That isn't what happens. People flipped out in SAO II and that was clearly the case (actually the first season too). Embryo is also pretty clearly a deviant psychopath. You can say its about the fan service aspect, but fan service applies to more than just sex. Gratuitous violence is fan service too. So, no, I don't think how rape is done actually matters. You can pretty much guarantee some people will be very vocally upset, but hey, different people respond to the same thing differently.

You seem to have missed my main point which was a number of people find making rape/sexual assault sexy (yes I know it involves sex but nonetheless) disturbing, regardless of whether the aggressor is a villainous psychopath or not. My point there is that murder rarely has a sexual aspect to it and when it does it is easily written off in an unproblematic way.

Also this is not a people freaking out about sex and not violence. Rape and sexual assault is both sex and violence. It is the combination that generates the problems not just the sexual aspect.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Okay, with Yurikuma, which is what i assume you are talking about since you seem to want to be obtuse, they do try to make it thematic. Here, it feels more like exploitation due to the camera and the framing.

I do not think you know what obtuse means and about suggestive framing, said series had it.

I do not understand why people like izanagi can''t admit they do not like a series and move on, he has disliked it from day one and has come back each and every time there is a thread about it. The moderators here do it because it is their job, that is a given.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Alright mangamuscle & Izanagi009 that's enough. Just agree to disagree and move on and skip any further comments to each other. Thank you.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Yeah, after watching the first episode, I couldn't take it anymore. Confused
You made the right choice. I'm not exactly a hardcore feminist but boy oh boy this show was sexist as hell. Probably the most disgustingly misogynistic anime I've ever seen and that's saying quite a bit.

I honestly don't see why Sentai thought it was a good idea to dub it, but it sounds pretty bad from what I've heard so I guess I shouldn't be too upset about 'wasted effort'.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
What an unexpectedly great show with an amazing soundtrack. Going off of one of Theron's reviews I went ahead and bought this blind during the last sentai sale at RightStuf and was really happy with my purchase. The mix of sci-fi and fantasy really hit the spot when I ended up watching it.
The music was great and it wasn't too surprising to see it got 3 OSTs and the hymns are new favorites.
I really appreciate the fact that they didn't let Ange & Tusk's relationship stagnate or get pushed aside like many series might.

Regarding the apparent deaths while spoiler[Momoka's] could be explained away with mana, spoiler[Tusk's] couldn't (regardless of the previews, which I agree with DmonHiro are excellent) so I looked online a bit. Apparently on twitter the staff (maybe the director?) said that they planned for that character to survive, so it didn't really matter how (in their point of view) as that was minor compared to the rest of the story. Or something like that. Basically, instead of spending time on it, they threw in a joke in the next ep preview and left it at that. Though while I agree it doesn't make sense that spoiler[Tusk would have survived, it also doesn't make sense to me that Tusk would blow himself up knowing that wouldn't do much to Embryo in the first place. The only reason it would make sense, is if Tusk knew he would survive, but did it to fool Embryo in to thinking he was dead. Though I don't know why Embryo would care... Really, he should have just gotten on with Ange.]
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I honestly don't see why Sentai thought it was a good idea to dub it, but it sounds pretty bad from what I've heard so I guess I shouldn't be too upset about 'wasted effort'.

Popular anime generally get dubbed because sales justify the production cost.

-Stuart Smith
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Paul D. Atreides wrote:

I'll probably step on a landmine here, but I'll go ahead and do it anyway:

Why is it that people are more upset with sexual abuse than murder in fiction? In Fate/Zero there is a villain who murders children for fun, yet apparently that didn't cause anyone to hate the show or stop watching it. But whenever sexual abuse happens in a show, it doesn't matter if a villain did it and you're clearly supposed to hate him/her for it, people will be outraged and stop watching. Why? That doesn't add up.

I think that the reason why sexual assault gets a bigger reaction is nothing to do with sexual politics. My opinion is that it is a much more relatable event than murder. I personally don't know anyone who was murdered or even any families that have had someone murdered. However I do know many people who have suffered some form of sexual assault, including myself when I was too drunk to defend myself. If you believe some of the statistics that come out, 1 in 5 women have suffered some form of serious sexual assault.

Murder just seems to be more 'unreal' than rape.

BTW, Of the events of my friends that I know of, only one resulted in a prosecution for rape.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I'm not exactly a hardcore feminist but boy oh boy this show was sexist as hell. Probably the most disgustingly misogynistic anime I've ever seen and that's saying quite a bit.

I've seen far, far worse in anime - and that's without bringing the cesspool that is hentai into the discussion.

Quote:

Because it was a fairly popular series and because it was actually pretty well-received in general?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4