• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Fall 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Wow, what happened to March comes in like a lion? Given how much praise others heaped on its first episode, I fully expected it to be second only to Yuri!! in these results. Yet it's barely even mentioned and doesn't rank for anyone.

Well, it's a slow burn, and unlike most of the other ranked shows (for the exception of Classicaloid) it still has 1 cour to go. I know several people still hold it in high regard (I'm pretty sure Nick has it in 3rd place), but right now it's a bit hard to judge how good it is as a whole when we're not even close to the conclussion (which is very important for a narrative-driven show).
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Amy, you just won me over by going against the grind and picking the bloody magical girl show as the season's best! Very Happy
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I shall give Theron a round of applause for picking Keijo!!!!!! as best of the season since I honestly have it in my top 10 for 2016. Very Happy

Best of the fall: Flip Flappers since I honestly didn't mind the Eva homage

Runner up: Yuri on Ice (if it didn't have the sequel bait it would have been best of the season but it's still in Top 3 for 2016)

Worst: tie between Izetta for that plot item and Sound! 2 for those week first three episodes and Reina being reduced to being hot for teacher (Asuka's still best girl); 3 Gatsu no Lion gives me VERY mixed feelings so I'm not sure how to rank it

Honorable mentions: The Great Passage (F**k you Amazon Prime for pulling a Netflix for no reason), Natsume BOF 5, Keijo, and Girlish Number.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Best: Yuri!!! On Ice

Runner-ups: The Great Passage, March Comes In Like A Lion, Flip Flappers, Natsume's Book Of Friends (hey, it was a pretty good season!)

Worst: i'd choose Trickster, but it's still ongoing and still has a theoretical chance to get better...so from the shows i've actually finished, it'll be Bloodivores
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Man, seriously, how did you all miss March Comes Like a Lion? I'm glad at least the commenters mentioned it. I'm not surprised so many picked Yuri on Ice, but for no one to even mention March Comes Like a Lion is a big oversight imo. The show is really arty, and a really good depiction of depression. It doesn't have the exciting highs of the other shows, but I find it fascinating in its slower pace.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
[March Comes in Like a Lion is] a really good depiction of depression.

That's actually why I ended up putting it off - after the year I've had, I wasn't in the headspace for any more depression. I do plan to catch up on it at a later date, because I was thoroughly impressed with the first couple of episodes.
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
The Great Passage was my favorite of the season. It's sad to see this series go unnoticed. Again, you suck amazon.

Funnily enough, I don't have the words to describe just how amazing and heart warming this show was. It perfectly portrays how it feels to discover one's own passion. I'm glad I got to watch it and end the year on a high note. Well anime wise.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll forgo naming runners-up as I could not decide between my top three, which are also my top three this year, as I enjoyed each for different reasons.

Best of the season: Sound Euphonium 2, Haikyuu 3, Yuri on Ice

Rebecca and Jacob have already covered why I liked Haikyuu 3 and Yuri has been thoroughly covered so I will just speak to Euphonium. Easily the best animated show I've seen, both in drawing and direction. There is a reason why this is one of the few shows that the folks over at Sakugabooru are reviewing weekly. Yuri's is certainly ambitious and flashy but as streamed its execution was imperfect, Theron, though I cannot reasonably hold that against the show due to the difficulty of the task. While certain threads were understandably weaker for a number of people, I wasn't bothered as much, especially by Reina's crush on Taki which was there from the beginning. This former band geek did not lose his enthusiasm for the show.

Worst: Trickster because even if it could get better in the second half, I'm seriously considering dropping it and I don't know the last time I dropped a show this far into its run.

Honorable Mentions: Flip Flappers, Natsume 5, Keijo!!!!!!!!. Though even that doesn't encompass all the other great shows mentioned here or not this season.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Fune wo Amu was the actual best, too bad not a single reviewer watched it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:

That's on the Amazon not them
kyot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Just happy to see a few people staying with Keijo!!!!!!!! and liking it.
Its basically Saint Seiya action, just with girls fighting with their boobs and butt in swimsuits. I literally would not be surprised if the next season has them taking on the 12 elites with gold bikinis.

Same for Bloodivores as worst for some. The repeated genre switching was sooo tiring. The more I watched, the more it was going nowhere. Just awful and a waste of time.

Izetta I know dropped the ball in the last few episodes. I wouldn't even put it near the worst spot though, it had some really solid and emotional storytelling. Some moments reminded me of classic Ghibli, which is saying something when current Ghibli has totally lost its touch.
It was probably the show I cared about the most this season. Just sad knowing it could've done so much better.

Two others I think at least deserve a mention. Ajin 2nd season and Dragon Ball Super "Future Trunks arc" have both been a great watch. (two thumbs up)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
My two picks of the year are Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 and Tiger Mask W. I don't really have a runner up or worst pick since I don't digest that much anime per season.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
YOI got my vote for the best season

Honorable: Haikyuu S3

Best Buttservice of the year: Keijo!!! & All Out!!

Worst: Izetta

why the hate tho on Nanbaka I honestly thought it was amusing until the serious arc.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
danpmss wrote:

That's on the Amazon not them

Well, the title says "The Best and Worst Anime of Fall 2016"
They could choose any show they wanted, really.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Well, the title says "The Best and Worst Anime of Fall 2016"
They could choose any show they wanted, really.

Unless there was a way for them to watch that show, how do you want them to determine how much they liked it? Osmosis?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8