• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xavon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Suggestion: Kanna can make her horns and tail disappear because she is younger, and thus more malleable/flexible/imaginative.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Yup, still my favorite show this season. The drunk part remains the least funny bit, but since any particular gag only lasts long enough to notice before the show moves on, it's barely a speedbump.

I thought the scene where Kobayashi and Lucoa chatted about Tohru and how she smiles more, with Kobayashi leaning over to whisper that she smiles more too now, and it's not just Tohru whose personality has changed, was freakin' adorable. It's a completely relatable thing that reminds me about meeting with your new significant others' friends from before the two of you met, Trying to get along with them, make a good impression, while also subtly reassuring them that you are taking this thing seriously, and that you value and think about their friend's needs and feelings, too.

I mean I know that Kobayashi and Tohru aren't technically in a relationship...but that's a damn lie, they just moved into a new place together and are meeting each other's friends, they're totally common law wed at this point. Very Happy
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the question about Tohru's clothes, I think that what she means is that she transforms her scales into clothes and they stop being "literally" scales, thus they can be taken off like normal clothes. About their tails, this is something they say later, but tthe human forms of the dragons is their "ideal form", as in, their physical appearence, not their clothes. It's likely that Tohru's ideal form comes with a visible tail but Quetzalcoatl and Fafnir don't, and Kanna can hide it if she wants to, just because.

I liked this episode quite a bit but probably my biggest complain is how it jumps rather quickly from segment to segment, making it a bit of a weird rhytm, even if every individual segment is just as good, it's not completely cohesive, like the last one. In the manga it was its own chapter (it was a Christmas chapter actually) and it felt better placed.

Still, a great adaptation nonetheless. I especially appreciate the mosaics when they show Kanna and Tohru licking each other because that was a really bad choice in the mostly tasteful manga.

Last edited by Valhern on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Yes, opening doors to dragon faces never gets old, I probably laughed more than I should have at that scene.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Yay bath time. It was funny that Tohru was still wearing her clothes though.

Looks like they were playing something similar to Dark Souls maybe?

Those 2 need to stay away from Alcohol. I can't remember that last time I had a drink, maybe 2009 or 2010?
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:

I mean I know that Kobayashi and Tohru aren't technically in a relationship...but that's a damn lie, they just moved into a new place together and are meeting each other's friends, they're totally common law wed at this point. Very Happy

And they have a kid in the household.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is a lot better than I was expecting it to be especially the comedy and I can't wait for the English dub to come out and see what puns Funimation uses in the dub. Very Happy
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit, the first episode did not really impress me, but this show has really grown on me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
On the idea that Kanna can remove traits but Tohru doesn't. I got the feeling that how Tohru can change her body, maybe she still prefers her dragon traits still exist, she does not feel ashamed that she is a dragon. Her pride in her tail and horns might trump her wanting to appear human and hiding them would be like Kobayashi did not like that side of her, who she is. Kanna maybe does not care either way.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote
What is often uttered about two being a company but three being a crowd may prove correct in this instance. Kobayashi and Tohru's chemistry—I believe this the correct term—was pleasant enough without the arrival of another dragon. Though I have nothing to say against Kanna as character, it requires little observation to realise that the central relationship, whatsoever it amounts to, will remain fairly static as she and other cast members make their arrivals.

Plus ça change, you may say, perhaps recalling older KyoAni works. A "weekly new girl" does indeed appear to be the format for the next few episodes. At least episode two suggests we have plenty of gags to enjoy while this formality is seen to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dash56

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote
I like how Lucoa is a dragon with heterochromia.

DuskyPredator wrote:
On the idea that Kanna can remove traits but Tohru doesn't. I got the feeling that how Tohru can change her body, maybe she still prefers her dragon traits still exist, she does not feel ashamed that she is a dragon. Her pride in her tail and horns might trump her wanting to appear human and hiding them would be like Kobayashi did not like that side of her, who she is. Kanna maybe does not care either way.

It's been hinted that Tohru's had some pretty bad run-ins with humans. Maybe she doesn't completely transform because of her dislike of them.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Tohru: "But you like it when I make things clean..."

BEST LINE EVER.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
Man, oh man, I laughed out loud numerous times during ep. 3. Yet, I absolutely love the quiet moments the most. And yes, KyoAni is doing a phenomenal job animating these characters. BTW, the blonde haired dragon-girl's eyes are MESMORIZING.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
In the taxi to the new apartment and again when they are just out of the taxi and standing in front of the new apartment Tohru has no tail showing. By the time they are in the apartment it is back. Apparently the presence of a tail (and horns) is strictly up to her mood at the time.
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
While I really do like the comedy so far, my absolutely favorite part of this show is the more quiet moments between Tohru and Kobayashi.

I go "aww, that's so sweet" every time.

However I still think the eskimo kiss between Kanna and Tohru from episode 2 gave me diabeetus, it was so damn cute and sweet!

I look forward to this show every week to make me smile and feel all warm and fuzzy inside lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9