• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America to Release Ys VIII, Culdecept Revolt, RPG Maker, Tokyo Tattoo Girls, Touhou Kobuto

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Current theory is that NIS were able to provide a PC port, while XSeed isn't quite to that stage yet.

XSeed's early work was wobbly (Oath in Felghana has a pretty bad localization, with several misused words and some really bad dubbing on supporting characters) but the Trails series are some of the best localizations in recent memory.

NIS...I've really only played Dangan Rompa, where the first was pretty good and the second was straight up released unfinished, with dialogue that was clearly a rough translation by a non-native speaker, and a ridiculous amount of overruns and offscreen text. Hopefully they schedule things better so they can actually finish the localization.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Current theory is that NIS were able to provide a PC port, while XSeed isn't quite to that stage yet.

XSeed's early work was wobbly (Oath in Felghana has a pretty bad localization, with several misused words and some really bad dubbing on supporting characters) but the Trails series are some of the best localizations in recent memory.

NIS...I've really only played Dangan Rompa, where the first was pretty good and the second was straight up released unfinished, with dialogue that was clearly a rough translation by a non-native speaker, and a ridiculous amount of overruns and offscreen text. Hopefully they schedule things better so they can actually finish the localization.

The way NISA has localized Danganronpa sucked much of my enthusiasm out of the franchise that was gained from playing the PSP fan translation - the flow, word choice, and overall atmosphere of the work just felt incredibly subpar when I played the first part of Danganronpa on the Vita, and the sequel as well.

I'm really hoping they pull out all the stops for Ys VIII considering how much they're billing it as a big title.
brynhild

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
To me, NIS localizations have always been the lowest out of the 3 companies, so I'm really iffy on their ability to handle this title. However, the LE is beautiful, so I'll try to give them the benefit of the doubt this time around...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2