• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Masaaki Yuasa Directs New Devilman Anime for Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
So i'm guessing this is the "mature" thing he's making with making with Oshiyama? If so, this should be damn good.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
It would be really metal if it had the same ending as the manga.

The subtitle of crybaby would be justified.

That's probably setting my expectations way too high though. Still, with Yuasa on board, he'll be able adapt the atmosphere and the grotesque art style of the manga.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
will be available in 190 countries or territories, with nine spoken languages

If it includes English(crossing my fingers), I hope it's the same people from the Cyborg 009 vs Devilman OVA
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
YOOOOO Masaaki Yuasa is a god! He's making anime great again. He hasn't disappointed me once, and I doubt he ever will. This Devilman anime is definitely something I'll happily look forward to. Those shots from the trailer alone are more than enough to reassure me.

Last edited by Kon'Doriano on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
Would be real nice if Netflix would pick up that live action"monster" adaptation that HBO passed on.

I agree, if Netflix were willing to pick up the Death Note movie then might as well go for the live action Monster show too.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Holy...

Damn. This is one of those very rare cases where I still can't believe a news despite confirmation from official sources. I don't know. Maybe because I'm familiar with Yuasa's artstyle, I just find this so hard to believe.

I really hope it's good.

I dunno. I'm also okay if the story isn't a faithful adaptation. As long as it's still good.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
I'm still absolutely giddy 6 hours after reading this. I can't believe this is real, one of my favorite directors adapting one of my favorite manga.

Maybe after dozens of crossovers and spinoffs and anime projects we'll actually get one that ADAPTS THE ENTIRE DANG SERIES DOWN TO THE ENDING...
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
So i'm guessing this is the "mature" thing he's making with making with Oshiyama? If so, this should be damn good.

Yeah, that was my first thought. I'm pretty sure it is. It'll be great to see them tackle it together. I didn't expect it to be a Devilman thing, but I'll take it. I wonder if this is the project that Kameda was potentially going to be involved with as well.

BlueAlf wrote:
Holy...

Damn. This is one of those very rare cases where I still can't believe a news despite confirmation from official sources. I don't know. Maybe because I'm familiar with Yuasa's artstyle, I just find this so hard to believe.

Yuasa's style is vastly different, or at least somewhat different, in pretty much everything he makes, so it shouldn't be a surprise that he is tackling something different yet again. He is more than capable of handling this. Especially with Kiyotaka Oshiyama helping him out. Not sure what capacity that'll be in, but I'm going to assume either animation direction, or episode direction.
I will say, this looks pretty similar to Lu over the Wall, in terms of detail. I wouldn't be surprised if they are also using Flash for this.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:12 am Reply with quote
Akamaru_Inu wrote:
I'm still absolutely giddy 6 hours after reading this. I can't believe this is real, one of my favorite directors adapting one of my favorite manga.

Maybe after dozens of crossovers and spinoffs and anime projects we'll actually get one that ADAPTS THE ENTIRE DANG SERIES DOWN TO THE ENDING...

Already confirmed by Yuasa in this interview that he's going to adapt the whole manga including the ending.

http://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1489572609
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:

Already confirmed by Yuasa in this interview that he's going to adapt the whole manga including the ending.

http://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1489572609

Fantastic news! Really can't wait, after so long, we'll finally see an adaptation that follows Devilman through to the end. Praying it's going to be good.

EDIT: spelling.

Last edited by Souther on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
I have zero interest in the source materiel but it can be mined for interesting content and the director is strong. Color me intrigued and Netflix actually bothered to do this whole anime production thing for real. Huh. A better writer would be nice though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I have zero interest in the source materiel but it can be mined for interesting content and the director is strong. Color me intrigued and Netflix actually bothered to do this whole anime production thing for real. Huh. A better writer would be nice though.

If you were familiar with the source material, you'd understand that last phrase of yours is mostly pointless in this context. Like with almost everything made by Go Nagai, Devilman's strength is not found in the quality of the actual narrative. Theme yes, narrative no. Besides, you could argue this writer has some experience with content that is similar to certain things that happen in the manga (shocking twists included).
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Probably worth noting that Ichiro Okouchi is a pretty hit or miss writer. Given Yuasa's previous projects though, and how he has previously spoken about this project, before it was announced, it sounds like it's a Yuasa project, and I doubt he'll let Okouchi screw it up too bad.
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Probably worth noting that Ichiro Okouchi is a pretty hit or miss writer. Given Yuasa's previous projects though, and how he has previously spoken about this project, before it was announced, it sounds like it's a Yuasa project, and I doubt he'll let Okouchi screw it up too bad.

Directors almost always have the last word and this should be no different in that regard, but it's ultimately a collaborative effort. More importantly, they're going to be using the manga to begin with, so there's already a clear plan for the story they'll probably follow in order to reach the original ending. Which is not exactly tasteful or restrained in its depictions of gore, religion, nudity, mob mentality and human ugliness, to put it lightly. All that's right there on the printed page, for better or worse, so in a way what could truly "screw up" Devilman would to be clean all of this up in order to avoid offending people.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
That's true. As this isn't original, Okouchi's tendencies likely won't have as much sway. And yeah, I'm familiar with the production process, but some Directors are a little more hands on than others. Yuasa, is of course, a bit of an auteur, so he is unlikely to let anyone else drive his project in any direction he doesn't want. Even the original source, for what it's worth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3