• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Boruto - Naruto Next Generations GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It is silly, but I also find it believable. Boruto seems to be in a rebellious "I hate you Dad!" phase, and it'd be logical that he'd be into someone who's Naruto's direct opposite.

Maybe, but it makes MUCH more sense to be like Sarada, who respects Naruto because he is such a presence to the village since her own father is always away. In contrast, Boruto's frustrated that his father doesn't give him his undivided attention, ever so he turns to a guy that is (IMO) much WORSE in that regard. I don't think he looks at Sasuke as Naruto's "opposite", I think he knows and sees him (same as Naruto) as Naruto's "rival" and its just another way to get dad's attention, by trying to making him (Naruto) jealous of his rival. It makes sense emotionally and I can see the story, but in many ways I think it'd be good if Sarada pointed out how much "worse" it could be.

Part of my annoyance is probably that so far Boruto IS frankly probably the LEAST interesting character to look at right now. Sarada's story questioning her parentage was cliched, but at least she herself is interesting. I can understand the desire of some people (including SJ editors) to have more stories from this world, but they really should've picked a different "lead" character. Boruto makes a better "supporting" character.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
You're right. You have a point there. For some reason, I forgot why Boruto disliked his father to begin with, and that's an interesting explanation on why he connected with Sasuke. That being said, from Boruto's perspective, Sasuke may be a father who's never around ever, but Sasuke has that air of mysterious coolness about him that Naruto, the politician at the office, doesn't have.

Thinking about it more, another reason why Boruto just isn't that interesting of a protagonist is because he is so strongly defined by Naruto and his actions. Everything Boruto does is in relation to Naruto, and he doesn't have the level of individuality for me to connect to him. The series also tries so hard to make him relevant in major events, which is part of why the series feels forced to me. Later on, spoiler[you have a situation that the Five Kages, Naruto included, cannot overcome, and in the nick of time, Boruto arrives with Sasuke. Sasuke gives Boruto directions, he follows them, and Boruto saves the day.] Boruto is a ninja completely out of his league, and it's unrealistic for him to be as much of a key factor as he is. Hunter X Hunter is a series with a weak protagonist (relatively speaking), and he either utterly fails at what he sets out to do or settles for small victories that help those stronger than he is accomplish their goals. I think Boruto, as a series, would be a lot better if it was like that--the boy can do great things, but he shouldn't be spoiler[defeating people who can curb-stomp the Kages] quite yet.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Boruto may also be (unintentionally) answering the common question of:
Why are so many anime main characters either orphans or lacking for in-town/at-home parents? Laughing
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote
My biggest problem so far with boruto is the fact that kishi "forgot" to give boruto the byakugan.

it would have been so nice for it to get attention this time.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
spoiler[you have a situation that the Five Kages, Naruto included, cannot overcome, and in the nick of time, Boruto arrives with Sasuke. Sasuke gives Boruto directions, he follows them, and Boruto saves the day.]

Boruto didn't do anything but create a rasengan, the only reason it worked was because naruto pumped it full of his/kurama's chakra

Quote:
The art in this volume truly shines—and resembles almost exactly Kishimoto's style.

You are blind as shit.

I've seen fan art closer to kishi's style than this garbage.

thank god the anime doesn't use it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
Boruto didn't do anything but create a rasengan, the only reason it worked was because naruto pumped it full of his/kurama's chakra

Exactly. spoiler[Circumstances all came together so that Boruto would be instrumental in saving the day. If even the slightest thing were different, Boruto would've had no impact whatsoever, as everyone else around him was a million times stronger than he was.]
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
My biggest problem so far with boruto is the fact that kishi "forgot" to give boruto the byakugan.

Thankfully the people animating the sequel understand the series more then Kishimoto so your complaint gets resolved there.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:41 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

Exactly. spoiler[Circumstances all came together so that Boruto would be instrumental in saving the day. If even the slightest thing were different, Boruto would've had no impact whatsoever, as everyone else around him was a million times stronger than he was.]

yes but you said

Quote:
but he shouldn't be defeating people who can curb-stomp the Kages quite yet.

which is not really what happened, he didn't defeat anyone his technique aided by naruto's chakra did.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Boruto may also be (unintentionally) answering the common question of:
Why are so many anime main characters either orphans or lacking for in-town/at-home parents? Laughing

Well, I guess that all comes down to the protagonist--they can be independent thinkers and have parents around. They just need parents who'll let them get away with their antics. Boruto DOES have the "never around" parent (as you mentioned), but what makes him different is that he is always thinking about his father. He struggles to do anything that doesn't relate to Naruto in some way. While this can be a valid character flaw, the way the manga is written turns Boruto into a satellite character, always revolving around Naruto.

Tylerr wrote:
yes but you said

Quote:
spoiler[but he shouldn't be defeating people who can curb-stomp the Kages quite yet.]

which is not really what happened, he didn't defeat anyone his technique aided by naruto's chakra did.

But he DID spoiler[defeat the villain, and he did it in a way where everything aligned so he could do it. He didn't do it in a way where he'd take all the credit, of course, but it was Boruto using his technique. There was no reason Boruto had to be there. Naruto and Sasuke simply decided together that Boruto is special.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2