• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yuki Yuna is a Hero Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else automatically thought of Nier: Automata when the music started playing with the girls fighting that Vertex in episode 2? I know both share the same composers, but it's still really neat to hear that. It almost makes me wish for an actual action RPG game of this IP.
GoldenPincers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, I forgot to bring this up, but it's definitely an observation worth mentioning. The first series was like that, too.

Like Vaisaga said, the girls were only affected by Sange, not actual wounds, since the Fairies make the Heroes immortal. Since in WaSuYu's time, Mankai/Fairies didn't exist yet, they came out as wounded and bleeding (like the bath scene or the end of ep2).

Vaisaga wrote:
Actar wrote:
Looking forward to the second half of the season!

I'm a bit more cautious about that. They said it would be a new story but what more is there to tell?

Chronologically after YuYuYu, there are 2 short LN chapters (Sonoko After and Hero's Memoir 2nd Volume), so these two could get adapted in Yuusha no Shou. Since the second Hero's Memoir also works as an introduction to NoWaYu, maybe the anime will do that as well?

Then, there's also KuMeYu, which, while still ongoing (it only started recently after all), takes place more or less at the same time and/or a bit after YuYuYu, so there's also stuff there.

At the end of the WaSuYu LN, there's a part that shows more of Sonoko's role in the YuYuYu timeline and how she more or less spoiler[ instigated a semi-coup d'état in letting Tougou attempt to destroy the world by letting the Vertex in and forbidding the Taisha to stop her, to force them to realize how flawed their method of "saving the world" is.] The 3 mini-movies of WaSuYu didn't show that (meaning the TV-length WaSuYu likely won't either), so maybe Yuusha no Shou will.

Finally, there's Yuuna herself. In ep12 of S1, right after the girls destroy the moon-sized fireball, flower petals (representing each girl's flower) fall on each girl as a sign of "Shinju relieves them of their role as Heroes". However, no petals fall on Yuuna, which may indicate that she's still working as a Hero. (While this is pure speculation on my part and Yuuna's "relief as a Hero" could have happened when she came back from her vegetable state, I think it's possible since Yuuna's personality would fit this and the other girls wouldn't realize since they would be stopped in time as they aren't Heroes anymore).

So, yeah... There's still plenty of possibilities for the Yuushaverse to head towards. The franchise has become pretty damn big, and I don't think it will stop expanding now.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
and the bath scene in episode two is a little racier than its equivalent in the first series, as if someone decided that the show needed to pander to fans more. Frankly, the series doesn't need this

I think the important thing about that scene is how we can see how battered and bruised their bodies are. Shows like this usually shy away from that sort of thing, holding true to the "beauty is never tarnished" trope, but the fighting is taking a clear toll on them.

its that which is what some didn't like about the series. it feels way too similar to madoka magica at times. minus the yuri pandering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
GoldenPincers wrote:
Chronologically after YuYuYu, there are 2 short LN chapters (Sonoko After and Hero's Memoir 2nd Volume), so these two could get adapted in Yuusha no Shou. Since the second Hero's Memoir also works as an introduction to NoWaYu, maybe the anime will do that as well?

Boy do I wish they'd do NoWaYu, but it was explicitly stated that the 2nd half would be a completely new story.

However, my scepticism was based on my misremembering a certain scene. When Tougou left the wall I thought I saw Shinju floating in a void, meaning there was absolutely nothing but Vertex outside the wall. But checking again I see that I was wrong and that there is ground and lava. After reading the 4 current chapters of KuMeYu I see that there is a direction they can take.
Artesox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Seems like they are misspelling Sonoko's name in the review.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Artesox wrote:
Seems like they are misspelling Sonoko's name in the review.

Yeah, I definitely should know better than that, but somehow I've gotten it fixed in my head as Sonoka instead of Sonoko. It's been fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
I finally caught up with the first three eppies of the new series. I wanted to wait to rewatch the original (which I did using the dub) before starting this. The rewatch was great for reminding me how good it was. The feels in episodes 8 thru 12 are amazing. In fact, it's kind of tough watching Sonoko in this show knowing what her fate is (thank God the rewatch reminded me of an image I had forgotten about that takes some of the sting out). Personally, I find the lack of mention of Gin in the first series to be... ominous.

Episode 3 had me laughing in a number of spots. But yeah, I agree with Theron that it feels like the calm before the storm. Oi, not sure my tender heart is ready for this...
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Sonoko did mention Gin in the first season, albeit extremely indirectly(she mentions Wasshi as one of the two friends she fought alongside).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Very indirect mention, indeed. We know that both "Wasshi" and Sonoko paid a heavy price for their hero duty so the fact there was never any indication of what sort of state Gin was in kinda makes me nervous for her.
rinrinsama

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:56 am Reply with quote
Im not ready guys!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Since YuYuYu established itself as a franchise that doesn't kill anyone off, when character deaths actually do happen they're much more effective.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Good catch, Theron, in pointing out that the three Vertexes in Gin's fatal battle are the same three that petrified Togo in episode 2 of the first series. Yes, Gina's death was not unexpected but that was poor compensation for my tender maiden's heart. The show has done a good job of making us invest in the three heroes and their friendship. Since there was a brief image of (first series spoiler) spoiler[Sonoko being made whole again in the first series, I wonder if that means she] will feature in the second half of this one which is a sequel to the first series?
Venti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I think that it's pretty safe to assume that spoiler[Sonoko will be in the second half, considering that she is in the Key Visual for it along with the other 5.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Laughing I had never really looked at that before. That definitely answers my question.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
Does anyone know which zodiac sign the Vertex in the second half of ep.2 is based on? The first two look like Aquarius and Libra, is the third one Taurus?

Sorry I'm way late to the party answering this question, but that one was Capricorn. It's the same one that Karin annihilated in like five seconds in episode 3 of the first season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8