• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GARO -Vanishing Line-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I have this one little nit-pick. Sophi bowed at Hardy and Enith before running off to do whatever. Last I checked, New Yorker's, much less Americans, don't bow their heads. That's an Asian custom. Confused
Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised to see two black characters take center stage here.

I thought that was pretty cool, too. Hardy and Enith actually looked black. Smile

considering that the city itself is more or less based off of an US city , specifically new york , its more or less a given that they would have other characters of color take place.

also its clear from the trailers they want to give this series the american treatment since the first was adapted from the spanish region and crimson moon was adapted from ancient japan.

the problem is that how will el dorado fit into this considering that the whole myth and legend of that city is south american based? i could get something like the bermuda triangle, but not el dorado.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I think my only quibble with Gina is her pink lipstick with purple eyeshadow. Is she colorblind? Or choose her lipstick while wearing her shades?

I kept expecting that new kid who gave her a hand at the last minute was either an undercover cop and/or is going to be the Silver Knight. He seems to have a better character design and more personality than a typical one-off, so I hope we'll see him again.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
I have this one little nit-pick. Sophi bowed at Hardy and Enith before running off to do whatever. Last I checked, New Yorker's, much less Americans, don't bow their heads. That's an Asian custom. Confused
Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised to see two black characters take center stage here.

I thought that was pretty cool, too. Hardy and Enith actually looked black. Smile

considering that the city itself is more or less based off of an US city , specifically New York , its more or less a given that they would have other characters of color take place.

also its clear from the trailers they want to give this series the American treatment since the first was adapted from the Spanish region and crimson moon was adapted from ancient japan.

the problem is that how will el dorado fit into this considering that the whole myth and legend of that city is south American based? i could get something like the Bermuda triangle, but not el dorado.

I'm not sure of the significance behind El Dorado in regards to GARO. I didn't watch the other ones. Neutral
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Yet another great episode. I am honestly enjoying this more than any other show this season. Let's hope it stays this good.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
James, since I'm guessing you watched the next episode preview, it does look like we're going to see some action next week on the El Dorado front.

This has been a pretty fun series so far. Looking forward to see what the main plot is about.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Should I watch the previous two Garo series before trying this one (the animation & crimson moon)? I understand that this isn't a sequel, but if I skip them now, would there be any point in watching them later?

I don't think you need to. As long as you know that Horrors are monsters, there are Makai Knights who hunt them, and there are Makai Priests/Alchemists that help the Makai Knights, then you're basically good. (I really, really think you can entirely skip Crimson Moon.)

I won't say the same for the live action tokusatsu series though. Aside from a few exceptions, they're more connected with one another.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
There's no connection between the plot or characters, just the source of the bad guys & superpowers and how they work, which is explained in each series.

BlueAlf wrote:
I don't think you need to. As long as you know that Horrors are monsters, there are Makai Knights who hunt them, and there are Makai Priests/Alchemists that help the Makai Knights, then you're basically good. (I really, really think you can entirely skip Crimson Moon.)

I won't say the same for the live action tokusatsu series though. Aside from a few exceptions, they're more connected with one another.

Thanks for the insight Smile

Maybe I'll just watch the first series as a primer and skip Crimson...
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Maybe I'll just watch the first series as a primer and skip Crimson...

It's actually okay if you start directly with Vanishing Line IMO.
I think the first anime series took awhile to get going, and some parts at the beginning also might turn you off. Very Happy
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
It's actually okay if you start directly with Vanishing Line IMO.
I think the first anime series took awhile to get going, and some parts at the beginning also might turn you off. Very Happy

Yeah, the first series involved a youngin' who needed to do some serious character development, so keep that in mind if you decide to watch the first series. I agree with BlueAlf, though, in that you can start with this current series and really not lose much at all as far as lore goes.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

I'm not sure of the significance behind El Dorado in regards to GARO. I didn't watch the other ones. Neutral

that is because el dorado as we all know is a mythological city that is supposed to be 100% made of gold.

the three series basically have a fictional theme to them. the 1st series is basically based of Spain and crimson moon is based of edo japan. however vanishing line is an enigma. the atmosphere screams that this is North American based, specifically NYC, but if this series is about el dorado, that would be in question since the actual myth is mostly central and south American. specifically in Brazil or Argentina .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:25 am Reply with quote
There's nothing yet to suggest that they're talking about the mythical city of El Dorado in South America (or that they're not). All we've seen so far is that it was an uncompleted computer password on Martin's computer screen, and a name with significance to Sword & Co.

There are dozens of cities, places and geographical features in the US and Canada called Eldorado or El Dorado, several of which are directly connected to gold deposits, which would link them to the Garo lore. At this point it could refer to anything from a mine in Alaska to a Japanese rock band. Smile

Episode 4

Well. Marie's Horror form was certainly...explicit. Shocked Otherwise, this was a pretty rote episode.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
I thought this episode was great, and once again I'm scratching my head trying to understand the reviewer's problem with it was exactly. All of the world/character building was good, the tone and pacing was appropriate for the story being told, and the ending was emotional and pushed the story forward nicely. I guess the direction wasn't as dynamic and the animation wasn't quite as good as last time? All in all, this is still one of my top anime for the season.
CaitlinGlass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Should I watch the previous two Garo series before trying this one (the animation & crimson moon)? I understand that this isn't a sequel, but if I skip them now, would there be any point in watching them later?

Hi! Dunno if you like subs or dubs, but I'm the ADR director for the dubs of all the Garo shows Smile Totes cool if you're a sub person, just wanted to comment that you don't have to have seen the previous Garo shows to appreciate the newest one. That said, you might enjoy Vanishing Line a little more if you know how the Garo universe works. And as a cool, added bonus, both the Japanese and English version utilize a neat casting format from series to series. A seiyuu from one show will play a different character in the next series and the next, often with some subtle correlation. Just another layer of interest for you to enjoy while watching. I'd say, if you take a look at Vanishing Line and like it, go back and watch Garo The Animation. You could watch them at the same time, and since they're not sequential, it won't matter.

Happy viewing!

-CG
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As if the breast-tentacles weren't enough, the creature's body was a couple of embellishments away from literally being a walking vagina-with-teeth.

The breast-tentacles had teeth, too, which I thought was an interesting twist on vagina dentata. The central maw was mostly her stomach, which might've helped with the censors. And for my money it was still less obscene than Marie's Horror form last week.

I fully agree that the way Sword having been poured into his suit was always good for a laugh every time he was on screen. He seemed marvelously oblivious to it. I kept waiting for him to complain about it, but he never did.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Poor Gina suffers the worst of it, with the size of her bust and the intensity of her curves shifting noticeably from scene to scene.

If those things were smaller, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Quote:
A larger concern is Sword continuing to feel like an afterthought in his own show.

That's because there's too much attention on either Gina or Sophie. The show should've just made one of them the main lead, but it's been a while since we had a tall, muscular guy as a lead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8