• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dies Irae

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ew121

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Grendel8 wrote:
‘Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.’
The controversial characters aside, so far I have seen nothing that interests me. From design to story to music, it seems run of the mill bland. I expected more. I do find the character similarities to actual historical figures and groups to be in poor taste. Each individual's taste may vary, but I will probably only put up with one more episode before throwing this series in the trash.

What similarities? they ARE those historical figures except in superpowered anime form.

With the exception of Karl Krafft also known as Mercurius/Faust/Nostradamus/Cagliostro/Paracelsus/Albertus Magnus or Hermes among other names he's had.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
... This adaptation just came around at the wrong time.
There are very good reasons why there is currently a lot of critical attention for the historical nazis and their Twelve Year Reich too but the subject matter, its representation in fiction, has drawn attention and criticism well before the present time. Whenever a topic like this comes up it always seems a good idea to mention someone like Omer Bartov - and his writings such as "Spielberg's Oskar: Hollywood tries Evil."

Here too I want to mention: The historical nazis knew they were the bad guys. We know they knew because of "Sonderaktion 1005" a.o..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I liked episode 1 much more than episode 0. I'll continue to watch to see how this goes.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I still would like to know what a Japanese boy has to do with any of this? Confused
Japanese boys are part of humanity.

If I were to write a one line question for this topic it might have been: What were the creators of this anime series hoping to achieve by casting these people as characters in their story?
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
I still would like to know what a Japanese boy has to do with any of this? Confused
Japanese boys are part of humanity.

If I were to write a one line question for this topic it might have been: What were the creators of this anime series hoping to achieve by casting these people as characters in their story?

The same reason why other show have continued to use historical figures in fictional works to this day regardless of they're moral compass, cause they can? Fate franchise is one of the prominent examples of this which uses figures who were also behind some of the worse atrocities in human history which were just as bad if not worse. Heydrich's deeds just happens to been closer to modern times.

Anyway moving on from that, the show alright to so far. Nothing really terrible outsides the poor combat animation, but I thought 2nd episode was a bit interesting from plot stand point. I don't what point in harping on fact he got superpower than reason why. Ren is seemly someone normal who unrelated to what's about to transpire, but he gets contracted by girl who calls him someone he's not. Now he's murdering people with no idea why. It's still pretty mediocre overall, but it's not the worst thing out there and does potential to improve depending on how it plays it's cards.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm definitely confused by what's happening. I'm really trying to understand and like Dies Irae, but the series is making hard to do so. Maybe things will start to make sense in later episodes. I don't know. Confused

Last edited by Animechic420 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Theron Martin Then it stopped making sense. I'm starting to wonder if some level of familiarity with the source game isn't being assumed here, since what gets thrown at us over the second half of the episode is just a jumble of story concepts with poor linkage between them.

The multiple "routes" being adapted muddied the "story" for me,ended up reading a fan wiki.

We're watching two antagonists,with diverging motives,target our MC. The majority of characters so far introduced are spoiler[ willing or not, working for the pseudo-outright Nazi round table wannabes.]

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Yeah, I'm definitely confused by what happening. I'm really trying to understand and like Dies Irae, but the series is making hard to do so. Maybe things will start to make sense in later episodes. I don't know. Confused

I wanted to understand this a bit more after reading a few fan comments posted here.

Seems the adaption has included multiple "side routes" from the visual novel(game?)
But bare bones,the MC is the key to granting the two main antagonists' wishes.
And also there maybe a harem thrown in for the giggles.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:12 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's confused. Usually it's just me. Smile

But for me the Ren/Kasumi stuff was the most boring part, so there was really nothing to save the episode. Mostly I was just constantly distracted by everyone's Shiki eyes.

The best thing in this show is the closing song. That's kind of a back-handed compliment, huh.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The necessary context finally comes in a most detested form: the info dump. Admittedly, it's a relatively short speech as Kai lays out many of the particulars of Ren's situation and what her group is trying to do. Frankly, few series were more in desperate need of some kind of info dump than this one. As a result, we now know that the Longinus Deizehn Orden mentioned in episode 1 is a round table formed by Karl Krafft (aka Mercurius), which had 13 members during the World War II era but now has less, and at a mere 11 years of membership, Kai is one of the newer replacements. If I'm understanding correctly, they want a war so they can summon the upper hierarchy of their group back to get their wishes granted, and since these are peaceful times and they're so much more powerful than the average person, they need a worthy opponent to wage war against. Hence Ren must be trained up to become that opponent, and that's Kai's task

I'm suddenly remained of the plot to The Mummy Returns.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
One of the guys said that sometimes in war you have to build up your enemy. When has that ever happened and it was both intentional and a good idea? Though perhaps I shouldn't think too hard about this show.
lycopene

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
Marie is apparently French, so Jad is using a French accent. Hearing the guillotine song in English was pretty amusing.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I almost think that the series might work better if it played more as a harem with its dark plot as a sidebar." - Theron Martin

The source visual novel/game is a harem when it comes down to it.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I can't defend much of this adaptation.

I can see they are trying, they are putting a lot of effort on having at least most of the essential information from the VN thrown in there somehow. However, I don't think it's too much well executed. And without the VN's prose, everything is absolutely bland in presentation and characterization (no proper monologues, no proper character interactions other than some few fragmente pieces, even at times where they cut the fat). They also skipped small scenes that actually gave the story and cast quite a proper buildup in many ways.

It's kinda frustrating,especially when you see they are actually trying their best to put all the content in these few episodes. But it just doesn't work. I wouldn't call it a bad adaptation. I would call it an adaptation that is trying hard to be what it can't purely by limitations in number of episodes, which ruins every single insteresting element the series could have had in the eyes of the new viewers (I wouldn't blame anyone calling this dumb fun at this point, because even the main plot devices are getting downplayed to ridiculous without the proper chuuni exposition).

To make an example, the latest infodump could have been explored, presented and expanded properly if only they had more episodes to do so. Most of the actual plot is being thrown at us like if it was a little wikia-like condensed text book.

The exposition of any element at all is terrible. This could have been a great show, the visual novel is like a better developed Fate Stay Night (comparing both VNs), only way more chuuni and edgy.

Take the scene of the rooftop from the very beginning for example. Watch it and then take a lot at it in the VN. Just look at how amazingly well they established the main character and his friend in 10 minutes or so of monologues, dialogues and flashbacks between the two of them while they brutally fight each other. The anime make him look absolute bland in comparison, he actually points out some deep thoughts and built up its own presentation very uniquely.

Then one can argue "at least all the necessary info is still in there", and still, it just wouldn't feel the same. It's like getting an absolutely delicious and expensive piece of meat in the market, and instead of cooking it with the right ingredients to make it feel just perfect (VN), you just open it up and eat it raw like it is (anime adaptation).

But I'm not sure even 2 cours would be enough for it, even cutting less important stuff, like some of the SoL elements, we are talking about one HUGE VN.

In any case, these are my last words about it for now. The adaptation may be trying its best to do all this in so few episodes, but it just doesn't work well with these limitations.

I may come back in here when the show will be over.

Last edited by danpmss on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
^While I don't doubt that it is a poor adaptation, I'm not confident that adding even more prose from the VN over additional episodes would be desirable or even doable. Some things just don't work as well in anime as they do in their original medium. You mention how things would be better if there was more exposition, and as an example the rooftop scene taking 10 minutes of monologue, dialogues and flashbacks. While I don't doubt that it worked well in the source, the idea of spending almost half the episode on monologues, dialogue, and flashbacks for just one scene doesn't sound all that appealing. Slowing down the story to stretch it across more episodes and add more exposition sounds like it would bore any new audience to death. When adapting to a more visual medium, things have to be cut down and things that were told in exposition have to be told in other ways. That doesn't mean this adaption isn't poor, just that taking the prose from the VN and slapping it on the TV won't work either. I think your expensive meat metaphor is good, though I would say the the current adaptation is more like overcooking the meat, cooking out most of what was good in it and leaving poor tasting shoe leather, but taking more of the writing from the source would be like serving the meat completely raw and unprepared, which would just sicken the viewers.

This is all assuming they could get many more episodes. This certainly doesn't look like a high budget show (though it looks better after episode 0) so I doubt that they could get a full two cours, let alone even more than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4