• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Do "Seasons" On Long-Running Anime Begin And End?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Seasons end when the show goes off air for a full cour, that simple to me. Cours are cours. Seasons last until it goes off air.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
Everyone can do whatever they want with naming seasons I guess. To me though I go with the "cour" model of 11-13 episodes, 1 quarter of the yearly schedule as being a season of long run anime. I mean to me the word "season" means seasons like fall, winter, spring, summer. This site even refers to each season as they come out 'Spring 2017 Anime season'. If you want to mark groups of episodes by some other marker call it something else, a season is a season. That's the way I see it anyways.

I use to go that way, but it stopped working pretty fast when anime' started literally being titled "Season 2". Like ~Da Capo Second Season~. By your logic,Da Capo, which was 26 episodes, would be split into two seasons. Following what you said, we would have:

Da Capo Season 1 and Da Capo season 2

and

~Da Capo Second Season~ Season 1 and Season 2

That's outright silly to me. If we just change some words we'd have "Da Capo Second Season Second Season". Silly. Other shows are similar.

Japan often labels thing nicely, at least. Like March Comes in Like a Lion's official site says "第2シリーズ" which is literally "Second series" but series is interchangable with "Season" in this context. So to me, if it airs without a cour in between, it's one season. 26 episodes? 1 season. 56 episodes? One season. Sket Dance has 77 episodes and only one season, because there was no full-cour break. Fate/Zero had a full-cour break so it's split into two seasons. White Album was separated by a cour. So it "White Album" and "White Album 2nd Season". ANN merges them, understandably since it is the same show...but MAL separates them which makes far more sense to me since there was a big break in between the parts. It's the most consistent way to label seasons that I can find.
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I use to go that way, but it stopped working pretty fast when anime' started literally being titled "Season 2". Like ~Da Capo Second Season~. By your logic,Da Capo, which was 26 episodes, would be split into two seasons. Following what you said, we would have:

Da Capo Season 1 and Da Capo season 2

and

~Da Capo Second Season~ Season 1 and Season 2

That's outright silly to me. If we just change some words we'd have "Da Capo Second Season Second Season". Silly. Other shows are similar.

Ya I know what you mean. I'd like to say Japan probably borrowed a term we use in the West and used it wrong, but then again Japan are the people who get to decide anyways.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's always weird to see someone say they liked season 17 of a show and I scratch my head wondering what the hell they're talking about. It's easier to just refer to chunks of episodes by the plot arcs (One Piece, Naruto, Dragonball) American Pokemon is probably one of the messiest since people refer to the entire franchise as one series, as opposed to in Japan where each series has a definitive end and episode count. Seasons are just marketing from licensors to appealing to American audiences.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I hope more shows start to copy My Hero Academia. That's the perfect model for adapting a long-running shounen series. I really don't see the purpose of dragging a show as long as possible. I mean I can see it with something like One Piece that has like almost 1000 chapters, but with something like Boruto? It's just overkill.
Hontôni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I believe Detective Conan seasons are based on japanese DVD releases.

Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Naruto Shippuuden is divided by arcs for japanese DVD releases. The german DVDs and the german wiki took these for reference.
In japan there are around 25-30 sets and (I think) 5 special DVDs with episodes seperated from the rest (Kakashi Gaiden, Chikara, Kushina flashback, and those 4 anniversary recap episodes right before the war). The first run of each set always includes a box with space for all DVDs of the set, so you can collect arc by arc.

The last DVD will come out in one week and the first press is already sold out since around a month.

Last edited by Narutofreak1412 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
"Season" really shouldn't be applied to most anime; as thenix said, the cour is the only really sensible one for most late night anime(especially for split cour shows). The long runners can be a bit of a pickle, but wasn't DBZ always split up into sagas for marketing/discussion purposes?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Otaku-sempai wrote:
Raikuro wrote:
The easiest way to break a longer show up into more manageable "seasons" is to go by story arcs. Of course that method would be different for each show.

For a show like Ranma 1/2* it is easy, if still arbitrary, to divide the show into seasons using the changes in opening and closing theme songs.

You're lucky, I was going to use the Urusei Yatsura example, where you could see the season break where Mamoru Oshii left the series, with a string of "filler recap" episodes, followed by the epic 2-part "Rescue Lum" episode...
Followed later by a new director and another new OP/ED, and a "generic" episode to reacquaint us with the characters for a new season.

Also, with Ranma 1/2, you can usually tell the beginning of a new season when they usher in one of the major characters, like Ukyou, Gosunkugi or the Golden Pair.
(Yeah, I know, it was going to be Shampoo for S2, but the S1 ratings were slipping and they couldn't wait.)
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Seasons end when the show goes off air for a full cour, that simple to me. Cours are cours. Seasons last until it goes off air.

and some exceptions will always exist:

What about god eater? it was sucha horrible production catastrohpe that the first season had to get split in two chunks while having a record 4-5 extra recap episodes in the first season (wha tthe heck did they even recap?) then took a one coeur break to air 4 episodes the next coeur.

What about gantz(and mroe shows that I don't rememer right away), which aired season 2 right after season 1 with no break, and it was not about changing intros or anything, the series name literally changed to gantz second stage.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Quote:
I honestly have no idea where those "seasons" are coming from. I have a feeling it's an invention by whatever otaku put that into Wikipedia.

No surprise this. People feel the need to make up classifications when the original didn't have them ( Ask me about Diesel Locomotives in North America. ) just so they can tell things apart. I would go with breaking a series down by the year the episode was aired in, then into the standard quarters to get to "Season" equivalents. But, of course, the production folks they are just trying to get their job down without running out of money or time.

Mark Gosdin

Well i think it was a pretty dope idea to break down anime into seasons to make them easier to identify, regardless of original intentions. I mean somebodies got to do it, look at how fucked up Dragon Ball Seasons are. Funimation had to single handedly clarify the series by seasons to make them easier to purchase, although there all over the place fucked up.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
they end when the story arc is over.

i mean sure some dvd releases don't end them properly, but that's simply because the company producing them are cheap fucks and want you to shell out more money.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly, Japanese streaming services, such as U-Next, split Detective Conan episodes into "seasons": https://video.unext.jp/title/SID0003424
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I see more than expected hate against trying to categorized seasons. I agree with those that prefer the term cour. Also as someone that does watch some of these long running shows they still seem to structure their emotional peaks around the usual cours. Ratings do drop at the same time every year. if you fall out of the cycle, you might wind up with your mid-season climax happening on a low viewership week.

Every Precure season follows this. Usually form changes and powerups arrive by the midseason, yet there will be a crisis around the end of the first cour. The final cour of the show will tie loose ends and give us a run up to the inevitable showdown. Once you're aware of the story beats being tagged to 'cours' and seasons, it isn't a bad thing. Just helps organize the year.

I didn't watch DB Super as it aired, and it didn't follow 11-13 episode story arcs. (they seemed to be oddly longer!)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Nothing Dragon Ball has ever had "seasons", despite what Funimation's releases will tell you. Even the English dub's aired "seasons" of DBZ on American television were fewer than the "season sets" (there was maybe SIX seasons of the dub, not NINE). In Japan, DB shows air from day one until the final episode, only taking breaks for holiday programming and the like.

But I suppose separating the story arcs can be just as perplexing (just call each set "volume", put a bunch of episodes on them, and call it a day). Remember Semi-Perfect Cell Saga? SEMI-PERFECT CELL SAGA? Come on, guys, it's all in the Cell arc, stop it. Learn story arc structure. FUSION SAGA! VEGETTO SAGA! KID BUU SAGA! No, stop it, guys, it's Saiyans, Freeza, Cell, Buu (with the Garlic Junior filler arc between the Freeza and Cell arcs). But even Toei and Shueisha struggle with this stuff occasionally.

I know DBZ is long, but in no way do the episodes of Cell as his second form constitute its own story arc, let alone "saga". Take some literature courses, for Dende's sake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3