• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2017 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calico

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
^ Okay, that's nice. I'm glad some digital series will be getting a shot.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Arakawa Under the Bridge has to have one of the strangest casts I've seen in Manga or Anime although I was first introduced to the series from the Anime adaptation from Studio Shaft (which is also my favorite Studio Shaft show) so I'm unfamiliar with the Manga.

Considering the fact that Hikaru Nakamura is also the creator of Saint☆Young Men should be a tip off as well that the series is going to be a little strange. That being said I'm glad Vertical decided to take a chance on Arakawa and putting it out in omnibus form is a nice touch as well.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad Arakawa got licensed. Is the translation the same as the one on Crunchyroll? It's been interesting some of the different ways they've translated character's names (but then my brain is a mess of both Japanese and English names so I think of Rec sometimes as Rec and sometimes as Ric, and Whitey as Whitey and Shiro and Hoshi as Hoshi and Star..... I don't know anymore)

Anyway long story short I love Arakawa Under the Bridge and look forward to more people reading it. I've been rereading it lately after a few years gap and it's been making me emotional from nostalgia and my love of the characters.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
"sponsored" and "Review" shouldn't go in the same subject together. Bias is obvious.
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this feature back!

Quote:
I can't overstate how much manga is produced in Japan nor how little of what's brought over is meant to appeal to an older, female demographic. It's a bit disappointing to see that for a genre that is still underrepresented in a lot of ways, we're getting little variety to choose from.

This. I'm having trouble remembering the last time I was excited for any josei licenses. I haven't purchased a book from Shojo Beat in years. I guess more people with different tastes them me do though. It always seems like the same thing year after year.

Oh and I just remembered there was some sort mention of a warehouse fire so SP Baby 1 is delayed until December 5th.

Last edited by katscradle on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
"sponsored" and "Review" shouldn't go in the same subject together. Bias is obvious.

They gave one of the books that one of the sponsor companies puts out a 1.5/5, 2/5, and 3/5.

They gave another one of the books that one of the sponsor companies puts out a 1.5/5, 3/5, 2.5/5, and 2/5.

Not sure what's "obvious" here?
Liri-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy that's a cool idea!! Looking forward to the reviews!

Two new promising/ongoing series I'm excited for are:
-The Promised Neverland, Vol. 1 is releasing in December
-Tokyo Ghoul:re vol 1. was just released (the sequel to Tokyo Ghoul)

Best of luck!
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Does Austin actually *like* anything? Anyway, glad to see something like this. I miss RTO...
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I’m going to buy the new Sakura: Clear Card books. I didn’t need more of it but, Cardcaptor Sakura is probably still my favourite of all CLAMP’s work. Good to read the continuation seems alright. About characters acting voyeuristic, I don’t think CLAMP will ever stop using that. It pops up often in so many of their series.

I totally forgot A Strange and Mystifying Story is coming out. So I really appreciate this guide! I’m glad to see SuBLime has rescued unfinished Libre series from the fallout with Digital Manga. I think this was one of the titles that had some extra censoring back in the day too. Funny one of the reviewers mentioned Suzuki seems to have a preoccupation with older characters rescuing younger ones and then they end up attached. Another story of hers I remember had this abused teenager that falls in love with a criminal who was in a somewhat familial position. I haven’t read much of her work though.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the first two chapters are nothing but page after page of world building that is so unmoored from further context that it only raises more questions

Okay, so a bit of explanation for why Forbidden Scrollery is the way it is:

The core Touhou Project games have very, very minimal narrative or exposition - this is literally the sum total of the written text you'll encounter during a single playthrough of Touhou 6. The games' sparse dialogue and worldbuilding has driven the massive output of fan-produced Touhou doujinshi, and most of what Touhou fans "know" about the characters (i.e. Rumia's amulet seals away her true power/personality; Flandre's wings are artificial) are largely the result of commonly accepted fanfiction story elements.

As a result, Touhou fans aren't really interested in official materials that add to the "main story" of the Touhou games. They've spent years coming up with their own. What they're really looking for is more open-ended worldbuilding and unresolved story hooks that they can use as jumping-off points for future fan projects such as Mystery Parfait's increasingly popular Touhou card game. Forbidden Scrollery is a perfect source of these incomplete story elements, and Touhou fans have largely been eating it up.

(I realize that this is all very unwelcoming to people who are unfamiliar with the series, but considering that I was introduced to Touhou through a random youtube music video and now have a Touhou avatar, I don't think it's that hard to get into if you decide you want to know more about the franchise. I recommend the excellent Yotsuba&-inspired "Osana Reimu" webseries as a jumping on point.)
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Auto-link went wrong again on The Promised Neverland's blurb: "they will need to plan their Escape From Grace Field House".
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Auto-link went wrong again on The Promised Neverland's blurb: "they will need to plan their Escape From Grace Field House".

Fix'd.
Aleximonious

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Austin got some genders wrong in his reviews. Posuka Demizu (The Promised Neverland) and Tsuta Suzuki (A Strange and Mistifying Story) are both women.
BluePikmin11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
You guys should talk about Astra Lost in Space as well.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Aleximonious wrote:
Hey, Austin got some genders wrong in his reviews. Posuka Demizu (The Promised Neverland) and Tsuta Suzuki (A Strange and Mistifying Story) are both women.

Got it. This has been fixed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4