• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Resolution Are Early Digipaint Shows Made At?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
The issue may indeed be a function of the audience expectations. I, for instance, am just old enough to remember when 640x480 was the standard resolution for computing.

Luxury. 640x200, and that was with 2 colours. 320x200 if you wanted 4 colours to work with.
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I could be totally wrong, but Justin did not answer the question about what was the typical resolution to anime movies in the early digipaint era; I am curious too. I imagine movies had a better resolution than tv series.

I was the one who submit the question, and although there was a lot of nice information in the response I'm still curious about an answer to this.

Like what was the resolution to something like Howl's Moving Castle or Naruto: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow, both produced in 2004? Or Pokemon Jirachi Wish Maker in 2003? Would they be a resolution closer to 720p?

I suppose I should have clarified my question with examples.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:
There's a Japanese blog that follows this. Very few shows are made at 1080p. Shoukugeki no Souma seems to be the only one this season with none last season, although WUG's CG is and there's the odd OP or ED that is. There's quite a few that are made at something between 720p and 1080p though.

That's interesting. Can you post the link to that blog?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
Probably Anibin: http://anibin.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Probably Anibin: http://anibin.blogspot.com/

Thanks!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Many early digitally-made anime from this period was produced with letterboxing, masking off the top and bottom of the screen to give the work a cinematic feel. However, those unused pixels shrank the picture even further. Some anime from this era was produced at 640 x 360 resolution!
Though perhaps not that many, thankfully. The main ones I know of are Betterman (may have been cel), Vandread 1st & 2nd Stage, SaiKano, Twin Spica, Cheeky Angel, and Zaion ~ i wish you were here. Anybody know of any others?

Afaik, most other 2001-2003ish 16:9 digipaint anime are 720x480 anamorphic, including Mahoromatic ~ Something More Beautiful (1st season was cel), Abenobashi, .hack//Sign, Last Exile, Licensed by Royalty, Heat Guy J, Texhnolyze, Popotan, Da Capo, Mermaid Forest, Rumiko Takahashi Anthology, Planetes, Gunslinger Girl, Chobits, Tsukihime, Gilgamesh, Godannar, Aquarian Age, Rave Master, Haibane Renmei, Getbackers, Earth Girl Arjuna, SoulTaker, Banner of the Stars II, and Snow Fairy Sugar. Noir and Figure 17 were also 16:9 / 720x480 anamorphic / cel, I believe.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:52 am Reply with quote
ssgOverlord wrote:
Or Pokemon Jirachi Wish Maker in 2003? Would they be a resolution closer to 720p?

Pokémon started the transition to digital around 2000. I own a smattering of Pokémon cels and I have yet to see any cels created for the second movie, Revelation Lugia, or the TV series around mid-Johto. So, by 2003, OLM, the studio that animates Pokémon, would have been very well versed in digital animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2