• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Fate Servants to Summon For Winning a Grail War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
You're dismissing Scathach waaaaay too easily. She's mastered pretty much every form of combat which is why she's taught so many heroes all they know, plus she kills gods as a hobby so she'd wipe the floor with Karna's pasty ass. She's also unkillable so long as the Land of Shadows exists. So the only real downside is that you can't actually summon her since she never died and went to the throne.

The only thing Scathach has accomplished is getting her body-painted ass kicked by Cu Alter. She's all talk and no walk.

Karna would fry her like SPOILERS did human history.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I would have gone with Musashi over Arthuria easily. I agree with Karna, but I think Scath was sold a bit short.

I think berserker Herc was over sold a bit. Lets not forget that Rin managed to kill him once. You don't need some full powered Excal shot to kill the guy. I think Raikou is a better pick.

Vannil wrote:
Berserker I'd go with Arcuaid Brunstead and yes she is technically a servant in a very naruverse kind of way

The premise was that a master had to be able to summon the servant. Moon Cell summons Arc.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
The only thing Scathach has accomplished is getting her body-painted ass kicked by Cu Alter. She's all talk and no walk.

Why are Karna fans so hostile? Seriously, say anything remotely negative about the guy and they get mad.
GriffithDidNothingWrong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but Siegfried would totally kick Arturia's ass and here's why:

For a being a God damn DRAGONSLAYER, any attack against Siegfried gets a Rank B damage reduction. That means any attack that's Rank B or lower is completely negated! Since Arturia's Strength is Rank B, that means she can't do shit to him!

Furthermore, since mah boi took a hot shower in Faf's blood, he deals extra damage to and gets extra protection against anyone with a Dragon trait. This absolutely screws Arturia because she has Dragon blood in her veins, so even her Noble Phantasm would have it's damage reduced!

Since Sumanai WUZ KANGS, along with the True Ether jewel in the hilt of his sword, he can charge up his NP Balmung quick and use it crap ton of times!

Finally, Siegfried is life because he is a chill and nice bro. He doubts himself but he's always willing to protect his friends and wants to be a hero of justice. He's basically GAR but not an asshole! Hate to break to you Gabby but you messed up big time with you choice because Siegfried would totally beat all the other picks and IS THE BEST SERVANT AND IDONTCAREIFYOUTHINKITSDUMBTHATIGRAILEDHIMTOLVL96INFGOEVENTHOUGHDW
AREBUTTHOLESWHOWONTTREATMYHUSBANDOWITHTHELOVEHEDESERVES!!!!?!?1/11

Last edited by GriffithDidNothingWrong on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Atsuki_Kimidori

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
This article is bad, Arjuna is the second greatest of the Archer class atm, only below Gil, Telsa doesn't even come close.

Remember in America chapter when Telsa was getting his ass kicked by some dozens of demon pillars? Arjuna just come in, use his NP while holding back to not kill Telsa and others, but his NP still strong enough to kill every single of the demons pillar than was killing everyone, so yeah.

also despite his downplayed depiction in the anime, Chiron also miles stronger than Telsa.
Gabbomatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
LimeCatMaster wrote:
Gabbomatic wrote:
I did seriously consider Tamamo for Best Caster, but came to the conclusion that getting back her tails (which she needs at least some of in order to compete with Merlin and especially Solomon) is just too difficult to be achievable under most circumstances. Beyond that, however, she's still an extremely solid Caster, so consider her the unofficial #3. Very Happy

And what's your unofficial stance on her best girl ranking?

I spent 300 quartz on her & she didn't come home so she can't be the best. Evil or Very Mad
xchampion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
I'll always take Iskander no matter what. Plus he would just be amazing to hang out with. Gotta have fun while also winning the Holy Grail I say.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
Gabbomatic wrote:
LimeCatMaster wrote:
Gabbomatic wrote:
I did seriously consider Tamamo for Best Caster, but came to the conclusion that getting back her tails (which she needs at least some of in order to compete with Merlin and especially Solomon) is just too difficult to be achievable under most circumstances. Beyond that, however, she's still an extremely solid Caster, so consider her the unofficial #3. Very Happy

And what's your unofficial stance on her best girl ranking?

I spent 300 quartz on her & she didn't come home so she can't be the best. Evil or Very Mad

300 QUARTZ?
ONLY 300
THATS... actually exactly how much spent trying to pull her on her rate up during Halloween.
Thank Amaterasu she came or there would have been a void in my heart.
Now if only she would have given me jack I've spent about 360 quartz and if it wasn't for ya know that pesky thing called cost of living I'd pull some more.
It's all good though I know the game is just teasing me until gramps Hassan arrives in the game and I'll be rewarded with multiple copies.
well if it make you feel any better she was actually the only 5 star in all of those 10-summons(the 1% 5 stare rate can be painfully accurate at times).

@GriffithDidNothingWrong

wow thats an interesting handle - anyway i dunno much about Sigfried outside of apocrypha but autoria seems like a safe bet. I mean sure i believe you that hed beat autoria but thats because she's specifically weak against his anti-dragon traits against anyone non-dragon hed just be regularly effective and in the original list ONLY altria had the dragon affinity which he would replace as saber so his anti-dragon stats might as well be nonexistant.

buuuuuuut your last point makes a compelling argument so ima reveal he was actually vying for the top spot but like Altera vs Seigfreid. Best bro vs a best girl. uhhh winner Altera.

@#853031
uh Scáthach's a great choice but ultimately if we're being serious then I don't think she can be summoned cause she never died or something like that?
For the lulz i support shishou all the way
T.Silver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
You're dismissing Scathach waaaaay too easily. She's mastered pretty much every form of combat which is why she's taught so many heroes all they know, plus she kills gods as a hobby so she'd wipe the floor with Karna's pasty ass. She's also unkillable so long as the Land of Shadows exists. So the only real downside is that you can't actually summon her since she never died and went to the throne.

To be fair that Cu Alter was powered up to the grail and was using a NP that he wouldn't be able to use normally and he only made her retreat to the Land Of Shadows. Also lets not forget the same Cu Alter also one shot Karna..
Azi Dahaka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:44 am Reply with quote
Assuming mana is not a problem.

Saber: Artoria or Arthur. Excalibur is super wanked.
Archer: Alcides if it's allowed. He has human-made weapon immunity from one of his 10 OP NPs. If he can't be used, then Arjuna or Tesla.
Lancer: Artoria or Enkidu. Enkidu is basically a reliable Gil. Artoria has Rhongomyniad, the Pillar of the World. Romulus would be another good candidate since he has the other Pillar of the World
Rider: Quetz or Ozzy, Ozzy has the Sunship, Beam Weapons and boosted by the power of the sun, Quetz is the superior version of him.
Caster: Solomon or Merlin, no explanations required. Nursery Rhyme is pretty OP too.
Assassin: King Hassan, no explanations required.
Berserker: Herc or Raikou, Lancelot would be good but too match-up reliant.
Ruler: Holmes, no explanations required.
Avenger: Dantes. Can move at the speed of light, even if he somehow managed to be cornered, he can simply use Wait and Hope to turn the tables.
Alterego: All CCC Alterego are pretty broken, Kiara for Heaven's Hole I guess.
There's only 1 Moon Cancer and Foreigner, so they're doesn't need to be mentioned.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:22 am Reply with quote
Best Sabre is Mordred. She will beat her "father" one day.

Rider - Achilles, Come on it is Achilles the dude is badass especially for one of the secondary classes.

Caster - Not Tamamo (Nero is better hands down) creature, Medea takes my vote especially Carnival Phantasm Medea.

Rider - F/GO's story mode really made me like Maria Antoinette even if she is not the strongest (Honourable mention to best trap Astolfo for making Apo watchable)

Archer - Ishtar - I don't care about your stupid rules, baka, Rin is always best girl regardless.

Berserker -Frankenstein's Monster

Assassin - this class has my least favourite servants.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:39 am Reply with quote
Arcueid as Berserker is the best choice you can get. Specially if you're Fighting in the Earth and isn't an idiot who thinks she's a goddess. Really, Arcueid is just broken as hell so even reduced by a class container she'd still blow any servant out of water.
Barring her, Altera is a good choice for general combat abilities and for having a pretty good AoE NP. In an urban warfare scenario that wouldn't be very nice and definitely would make you more than a few enemies in a world where secrecy is law but in a Grail War fought in the wilds she'd be top pick.
OG Saint George is busted. That guy is nearly unkillable with all those goddamn defense boosts he get. In a team fight he'd tank everything while his mates attack. 1v1 would be more problematic, however, so he's better for a mage with good summoning skills. He isz however, a bit too knightly so that can be a bother.
Medea (OG not Lily) is also a good choice if you play smart. Rule breaker is ridiculously powerful in the right hands, being able to turn an enemy into your ally. She's not too good in single combat but she can do very many things while hiding and just wait out for the big shots to be exhausted before taking them down. Also, she's quite agreeable if you're not a sexist douchebag.
Altria is good but she won't allow herself to go underhanded and in a Grail War out want every advantage you can get. I'd really go with an Assassin instead of her simply due to the fact that Assassins have mostly been used by idiots or people who weren't playing tonight win so they couldn't be adequately applied. An Assassin (specially one with Caster support if you can get that) can be pretty dangerous since he could do surprise attacks, eliminate the other team's support members and Masters while avoiding detection. Plus, if you do have a Caster on your side they'd think that's their main concern and you could work your magic all you wanted.
So my pick for a war would be Medea and Rule Breaking an Assassin to my side ASAP. Not too flashy, sure, but a nightmare for your enemies.
Lion Magnus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
So, Kinpika is a no, 'cause he kill you if you see his face without permission or bore him, and he will xD, but is OK with Ozy? Hmmmmm

Well, for me:
Saber: Artoria Pendragon - if possible Arthur Pendragon
Archer: Gilgamesh
Lancer: Scathach
Rider: Ozymandias
Caster: Merlin - "Wherever the Mage of Flowers, Merlin, is, that place can never be a hell, but a land filled with hope." I just love this phrase.
Assassin: Pretty difficult - I can say King Hassan and win, but being realist I would chose a proper summoned CA Hassan.
Berserker: Heracles-kun

Edit: God Hand no only gives him lives but resistance to an attack (weapon, NP) that killed him before, the one that can kill him like nothing (well, to say xD) is Gilgamesh and it was proven in UBW (of course if kinpika go serious, he would not almost have shitted that time)
So if Karna does not kill him in one go, he is done.
God Hand is the very definition of "what does not kill you, makes you stronger" lol
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
For me personally this comes down to bias but I would choose

Saber: Mordred
Archer: Chloe Von Einzbern (Kuro) (She's one of my two favorite female characters in the entire Fate franchise. She's resourceful and badass using Emiya's abilities)
Lancer: Scathach
Rider: Iskandar
Caster: Illyasviel Von Einzbern (My favorite character alongside Kuro. In Prisma Illya She freaking tanks and overcomes Gilgamesh's Enuma Elish)
Assassin: Jack the Ripper (She's adorable and can literally one shot most female characters)
Berserker: Hercules (Seriously I can't think of anyone I would personally like more)
SpartanSlayer64

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Hey there's a problem with Tesla...

He was born in the Austro-Hungarian Empire (Near what is today Zagreb, Croatia) and moved to the US, not an Englishman. I don't know if it's an article error, but if Type Moon called him English that's a pretty big oversight considering how they like their history.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3