• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 2018 Reader Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everapril

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Just like last year, I can’t believe how there isn’t a regular manga column anymore. At least the “seasonal” manga preview seems like a step in the right direction.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Wish the Japanese city question had an Other option, even if it didn't let you fill in another choice.

Also, yeah, someone should probably check that website list...
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
You didn't mention any towns in Aomori or Hokkaido. Sad
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
Temuthril wrote:
Were the websites user-submitted? Because there's something funky between Fandom Post and Funimation.com.

Yup. I removed it, and closed the new submissions. I think everything important is already there.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Some running comments as I go through this:

• "What brands of car are you likely to seriously consider for your next car (pick up to 3) " - Car brands should include Tesla
  • "How do you read manga" - I assume "The old fashioned way" means "in print"? Maybe not a great place to get cute, TBH.
  • "What kind of electronic games do you enjoy playing" - Should include Sports
  • "Are you a fan of JPop (including JRock, Visual Kei, etc...)" - Different genres. Would be better phrased as "are you a fan of contemporary Japanese music, such as JPop, JRock, Visual Kei, etc."
  • "Which of the following occasional / retired columns would you most like to see brought back as a regular column ?" - Should include Buried Treasure / Garbage

I picked the top car brands in the USA, UK and Australia. Surprising that Tesla didn't show up. I believe it should be on the list too, I've add it.

I've also added Buried Treasure / Garbage.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:30 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
You didn't mention any towns in Aomori or Hokkaido. Sad

Sapporo is in Hokkaido.

The list was populated from a list of the top tourist destinations in Japan. But I'll add "other" to the list.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:31 am Reply with quote
everapril wrote:
Just like last year, I can’t believe how there isn’t a regular manga column anymore. At least the “seasonal” manga preview seems like a step in the right direction.

It's a huge disappointment to me too. I'm pretty sure we'll end up bringing it back.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Why are there questions about cars?

That question is mostly advertising related. Although I am mildly curious as well since I'm a huge car fan. Anime funds my car hobby Razz
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
Really Liked the "What the hell is happening in/to xxx" column addition. Sorry for your financial woes (ACJ) but you unjustly banned me once, so I'm not jumping on the subscriber bandwagon just yet. I can deal with ads.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
Conflating LGBT rights and animal rights advocacy under "activism" was tonedeaf. Do better.

That said, really enjoyed the questions about columns! Would love to see both Buried Treasure and Astro Toy come back!
your fly is down

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:57 am Reply with quote
when you live in pakistan and dont know how to answer 50% of the questions
although i did see some repetition in the questions being asked
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:43 am Reply with quote
Since it came up, the Subscription thing...

I am actually getting aggravated (no one's fault) at how many things want to sap my money in small increments. a game sub here, a twitch sub there, streaming sub over here. My local NPR has subscription plans as well. But they also have fundraising drives from time to time. Newspapers themselves come as either a subscription or a single issue cost.

Also with data leaks and forgetting passwords it feels like a lot of effort to jump the hurdle to then pay out so little. Its the nature of having so many different transactions. But there's not anything I can see that can attach a news sub onto, and news propagates so fast anyways it is hard to justify paying tiny amounts for something when it'll reach my ears around the same time anyways. It would be like inserting a penny into my phone to check messages. It isn't the price, its the extra labor on my part. but if all the candy I bought cost two pennies more and covered that same service as well, that'd be easier.

But I don't know what product would work. Buy "X + extra to support ANN!" I mean one can brainstorm ideas, but outsiders unaware of company assets cannot make such recommendations without hurting their own credibility by coming off ignorant of how the company actually works.

I can only give my thoughts honestly as to why I won't subscribe. The survey suggests perks, but even then I'm unsure of the model's ability to meet my concerns.

Last edited by H. Guderian on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
PsychedelicSNAFU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:45 am Reply with quote
Do you guys have plans on introducing an android app for ANN? Because that would be really useful and could come in handy for those who do not frequently use laptops or PCs
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:31 am Reply with quote
I buy figures and merch from more than one place. Not sure why that question wasn't multiple choice.
DarthSomebody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:34 am Reply with quote
When asked if I speak Japanese, I was missing the option that I know it a little bit (1 year at uni), but I'm not actively learning the language any more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6