• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Record of Grancrest War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
t doesn't help that Theo-sama has been your typically bland light novel hero so far...

Don't include the light novel part pls. Most Light Novel heroes are as passive as passive gets and the ones who aren't probably belong on the upper tier. As far as i can see, Theo's been pretty active. He has goals, is willing to do another's bidding to reach them as well as get hurt for them and, with this episode, showed us he's not above standing up to another just to keep his bae. Most "typical bland light novel heroes" are pushovers of the highest degree.
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, episodes 1-4 feel like getting through the tutorial in an RPG, with the "real" story starting with episode 5.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Melchiorgk wrote:
Honestly, episodes 1-4 feel like getting through the tutorial in an RPG, with the "real" story starting with episode 5.

Word is on some outside anime forums, is that the 1st 4 eps covered Vol 1 of the LN.
There are presently 9 LN vols of Grancrest published, so there's some guessing the anime staff plan to cover at least 6 vols of books.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Imagine how far we could have got in the story if Heroic Legend of Arslan was adapted at the pace Grancrest War is going at.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping Siluca would be able to see her adopted father and say "You overplayed your hand" at the end, would have been a sweet bit of poetic justice heh.

So, now is it just Theo, Silua and her ninja butler? From the OP it looked like all of the side characters would be sticking with them but I guess not now.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

From the review:
Quote:
The action looks amazing, and I was so glad that Aishela was not fridged. This critical moment certainly helped me warm up to Priscilla the healer, but once again Grancrest War is relying on shortcuts to endear characters to us—there just isn't enough time to allow anyone to shine except in short glimpses.

Yeah, these short glimpses aren't enough for me. It's been 4 episodes and I don't really care about any of the characters except maybe Siluca. Though I do have to wonder why she thought she could just waltz right in to see Villar when she pretty much gave him the finger in the first episode by not showing up.

The show is too concerned with getting from one plot point to another. I haven't been this torn about a show in a while. It seems like it'll get better, but every week I ask myself "Am I going to drop this?"
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4 was such a whirlwind, I'm kind of confused at where all the character left off. Everyone's working for Villar now, who's with the Alliance, which is against Marrine's Union, is that right?
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Everyone's working for Villar now, who's with the Alliance, which is against Marrine's Union, is that right?

I think you have them backwards. Marrine is with the Alliance and Villar is with the Union. I could be wrong though.
Dardre

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

Don't include the light novel part pls. Most Light Novel heroes are as passive as passive gets and the ones who aren't probably belong on the upper tier. As far as i can see, Theo's been pretty active. He has goals, is willing to do another's bidding to reach them as well as get hurt for them and, with this episode, showed us he's not above standing up to another just to keep his bae. Most "typical bland light novel heroes" are pushovers of the highest degree.

He has goals, but Siluca is the one pushing him toward them. At every major point, he's turned to serve someone else unless Siluca was there to divert him in another direction. We know almost nothing of his past other than his very generic motivation; we don't even know who trained him to fight, iirc. I honestly consider him the secondary protagonist. Siluca is the pov character, and she's the one frequently driving events.

That aside, this show is terribly paced. I thought I'd never see an anime that could rival "Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere" for poor pacing, but this show proved me wrong. It's like I'm watching RP sessions that have been animated, with only the most threadbare links connecting them; and from what I understand, this might not be all that far from the truth.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Ep 5 Review wrote:
When I first turned on the episode and didn't recognize any of the characters, I had to check that I was watching the right show. Little to nothing has been said about the existence of vampires, witches, and werewolves in this society, and we're suddenly face to face with all three.

I'm actually happy that the show did this because this is the first time watching this show where I was actually really interested in seeing what happens. Up to this point it's been, "Meh, what else have you got?"

It was nice seeing Theo and Siluca interact when there wasn't plotting involved. I hope this is a sign that the show is going to focus on building the characters along with plot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
It always strikes me odd that in these group fights, you'll see some of the combatants fighting while there is a long stretch where the others are doing nothing. When the queen werewolf frees her daughters the witch calls back her gargoyles, and there is a fight between them, her attention is focused purely on them, it looked like the perfect situation for Siluca to blast her in the back with a spell. Theo sort of has the excuse that he was on the other side of the room and even he manages to get close enough to catch the queen, but Siluca does nothing until the witch is on her broom and already escaping. I know the witch is supposed to escape as part of the plot but it always feels odd when you're wondering "what the heck is X character doing right now while everyone else is fighting?"

So, what is Theo's overall goal at this point? He says at the end he wants to get stronger at the end of the episode, but his initial goal was to become lord of his village so it would be abused by the lord it is currently under, but he gave up his political and military power to keep Siluca, and now he's going traveling or something. What exactly is he aiming for right now?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6,

So, basically Villar's rule about sending women mages away at 25 is because he's afraid of commitment after his issues with his mother? I thought it was a bit odd that he said Margaret couldn't stay because it would be showing favoritism, when the whole rule about girls leaving was so they could be free to get married and live their own lives.

Anyway, the main duo didn't get a huge role in this ep, mainly time spent building up the side characters, which isn't a bad thing, although I'm still wondering as to what the actual overall plot is at this point. First the MC wants to become a lord to be able to take charge of his village, then then becomes a lord, gets enough power to become a king, then quits that job and begins service under another lord, and I'm not sure what he's aiming for now.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:11 am Reply with quote
Can't say i'm too invested in the plot or Siluca and Theo as a couple just yet, but at least this show features better-animated dancing than Welcome To The Ballroom...
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I do get Madan vibes, but to throw another comparison out there, I get Suikoden vibes.

The whole Crest angle is basically screaming Runes; and honestly I wish the show would do more with this. They are kind of introduced as these powerful augmenting magical abilities, and so far they really haven't been used much.

But as a fan of Lodoss/Crystania, this work is missing pretty much the most important aspect of those shows, the plucky high elf or the brooding dark elf. Where all the elves at? I mean silca in terms of personality is basically deedlit, while theo is parn; but i want to see some pointy ears.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:03 am Reply with quote
Ep 6:
I was all ready to make fun of Villar for being a self described "woman respecter"--providing his all female mage crew with revealing clothes, firing them when they become "Christmas Cake" ("nobody wants one after the 25th!"), Yet claiming that no one respects women like he does! And, to top it all off, he has a huge portrait of his mother in his office, because, as he remarked in an earlier episodes, no woman he's met yet can live up to his mother!

So when Magaret called him out for being commitment phobic and he immediately called her attention to the giant picture of his mom, I was all ready to think of a snarky comment about this momma's boy fetishist...and he completely disarmed me by being honest and vulnerable with a woman he obviously cares for, but has too many deep psychological wounds from a messed up childhood to allow himself to get involved with. Wow, kudos to the writers for making what could be a ladies' man joke character into something much deeper and giving his issues a touch of realism, as well as self awareness, which is unusual for an anime character. Not that it explains (or justifies) his clothing preferences, but at least his tendency to hire competent ladies but only keeping them as temps for fear of getting too close makes sense.

I wasn't impressed by the dancing scene animation. Wasn't bad, but it was no Hare Hare Yukai! (am I dating myself with a Haruhi Suzumiya reference?) Theo stepping on Siluca's toes was cute, though. Imma 'ship 'em. This show's making their eventual pairing really obvious, so why not?

I do not like Milza's style, too destructive. I'd rather Theo not become like him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10